Season 160 of the Ukulele - Make it Happen and Just Noodlin

BigDaddyUker

Reaction score
Season 160.1 of the Ukulele - Make it Happen

So I had a theme all set up for this week and then this morning I saw a post on Facebook about International Women’s Day which is always celebrated on March 8th…which is also Day 1 of Season 160. I really like the message that IWD is promoting, so for this week I am going to go all HD radio and run two Seasons. Season 160.1 which starts and ends on March 8th (in support of International Women’s Day) and Season 160.2 which will start March 9th and run thru the 15th, using the original theme that I had.

Season 160.1 – Make It Happen

The website for International Women’s Day has lots of information about their cause and in the ‘about’ section, there is a timeline of efforts around women’s rights. I googled “songs about women’s rights” which returned different lists about women’s equality, girl power songs, songs that empower women and women’s suffrage etc. Take a look at the website for International Women’s Day for other ideas.

International Women's Day website.

Rules:

• No Thornton rule in play. Songs should pertain to women’s rights and/or the message/current theme that IWD is promoting.
  • You and your ukulele front and center, mention Season 160 – Make It Happen.
  • Wear something purple.
  • Include the hashtag #MakeItHappen in the description of your video.
  • Season 160.1 starts and ends March 8th.
  • No limit on videos.
  • Winner will be selected by random drawing and prize will be something purple.

Season 160.2 – Just Noodlin

There are lots of reasons why we play the ukulele. Many of these reasons require some level of research, thought preparation and practice. However, there are times when it’s just you and your ukulele. No thought. No research. No preparation. No practice. My buddy Pete (I think he got it from Ken Middleton) calls it noodlin. When I noodle there are a couple things I do. Play songs I know by heart or open a big songbook (usually online), pick a page and start playing. Sometimes I make it through the song and sometimes I don’t. Either way, I just flip the page and keep going. For you, it might be songs from a particular book, genre or group. Songs with a certain rhythm, chord progression or strum pattern. Songs that you are writing or, it could be nothing at all…just the next thing that comes to mind.

That’s the goal for Season 160.2. Bring the music that we would hear if we were a fly on the wall when it’s just you and your ukulele and you are playing for no reason at all.

Rules:

• Just you and your ukulele. The theme itself kind of eliminates multi-tracking.
  • No pressure for perfection. One and done’s are always welcome.
  • It can be any song, but should be recorded for this season.
  • You and your ukulele upfront and mention Season 160 – Just Noodlin.
  • Season 160.2 starts March 9th and runs thru the 15th.
  • No limit on songs.
  • Encourage you to listen to as many songs as possible and comment as much as possible.
  • Prize will be by random drawing.

Playlists:

160.1 Make It Happen

160.2 Just Noodlin

Last edited:
Brilliant themes! So glad you included International Women's Day - I need to do some homework!

Interesting theme. I doubt I'll get anything done for 160.1 but noodling is good.

Noodling is a term used over here in the folk music world to describe idly playing nothing in particular. It's very common among folk musicians who if they have an instrument in their hands just cannot resist playing something, anything.

It really annoys some classical musicians who seem unable to play unless someone tells them to.

I was at a recorder day workshop last year and after lunch I started to warm up my recorder by playing a tune "Fanny Powers" by a 17th century Irish Harpist O'Carolan. (Folkies will know it) There were two other folkies in the group that day and they just went and picked up their recorders and joined in. That's how folkies are.

A friend of mine later told me she'd enjoyed the little interlude and how nice it sounded.

Perfect time for "Trails Of Victory" :)

Great theme BDU. Love this idea of noodling around for a week.

Perfect time for "Trails Of Victory" :)

Great theme BDU. Love this idea of noodling around for a week.

I think it is Paths of Victory and Odetta's version from 1965 was on one of the lists that I saw this morning!!!!

Sister Suffragette

Here's an oldie from season 74 to help kick off the Women's rights theme. Great idea, BDU.

Here's a great women's empowerment song I discovered for reggae Season that someone might want to do for 160.1. It's got three simple chords, repeated over and over. As usual, chart in my shared chart folder if anyone wants it.

After I did this song, some of us decided we needed to rename our jam group's all-female jams from "hen jam" to "lioness jam". And some day we'll have one. :)

Great theme BDU I'll get my 'Ginger Spice' outfit out from the wardrobe for some Girl Power!! Lol
Noodlings no problem..........all my entries are noodles.
I've been picking up and putting down a song I haven't finished for a couple of days(mainly due to my Impatience and frustration) .......the rough version will be all yours:cool:

Last edited:
I wish I could do make it happen, but I have something tonight and tomorrow (AV tech stuff). I'll might do something for the island though...

Great theme BDU I'll get my 'Ginger Spice' outfit out from the wardrobe for some Girl Power!! Lol
Noodlings no problem..........all my entries are noodles.
I've been picking up and putting down a song I haven't finished for a couple of days(mainly due to my Impatience and frustration) .......the rough version will be all yours:cool:

Same, I still have issues with the B Barre chord, but I could noodle it out...

Interesting theme. I doubt I'll get anything done for 160.1 but noodling is good.

Noodling is a term used over here in the folk music world to describe idly playing nothing in particular. It's very common among folk musicians who if they have an instrument in their hands just cannot resist playing something, anything.

It really annoys some classical musicians who seem unable to play unless someone tells them to.

I was at a recorder day workshop last year and after lunch I started to warm up my recorder by playing a tune "Fanny Powers" by a 17th century Irish Harpist O'Carolan. (Folkies will know it) There were two other folkies in the group that day and they just went and picked up their recorders and joined in. That's how folkies are.

A friend of mine later told me she'd enjoyed the little interlude and how nice it sounded.

That sounds exactly like what I am looking for!!!

Well as long as I'm twiddling my thumbs.....I should be noodling........but there is plenty of time for that!

Here is

Noodling.

Noodling is also a fishing term I grew up with but it more known now as Hillbilly Hand Fishing
I prefer noodling with a ukulele but I hate getting it wet.

Last edited:
Noodling is also a fishing term I grew up with but it more known now as Hillbilly Hand Fishing
I prefer noodling with a ukulele but I hate getting it wet.

That's the first thing that came to my mind! I thought, how are we going do do a season about
Sticking you hand in a dark underwater hole, hoping to be bit by a catfish (and not a snapper).

Top Bottom