NUD: Kala Acacia Cedar Slothead Concert

Just a suggestion.

The D'addrio pro arte clear nylons to me sound better on this uke than the nylgut, martin 600, oasis warm, and worth clears. If you're looking at changing strings on this (concert) it seems a pretty decent choice. The nylons for some reason seem better on this than flourocarbons. The pro arte gives a bit more ring without going thin sounding. I'd post a sample... but I think my camera mic is just not good enough to really do a sound comparison. I'm looking into a mic but I don't have it yet.

Anyway... I thought Id throw that out there if you're looking for an alternate string choice for it.

I've got the tenor, very curly back, ordered from amazon needed no set up very easy player. Frets ate not as chunky as my pono and this thing is loud!! Couple of dead frets on the third string but still better than my Kanilea. This uke is a total Win Win . Plays GREAT in low G! Forgot to mention mine is strung with South Coast light meds.

H

Last edited:
Just have to jump in and agree with the consensus here that, yes, the Kala Cedar Top/Acacia side line is great for the price. I also quite enjoyed working with their warranty team. My first had a buzz coming from the saddle, or near there, but I couldn't identify exactly what was causing it. Called Kala, sent it back to them and they couldn't figure it out either, so replaced it. They picked up shipping both ways. I've worked with other warranty departments and they have been hands down the best I've dealt with.

Also own a Kala Soprano Long Neck and love it for what it is. It's my new travel uke.

Just want to thank the UU group for helping us find this uke. Just received one for my daughter and it's great-looking and great-sounding. All in all seems to be a fantastic value.

Top Bottom