Hello from Florida

arctangent

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a retired woodworker and luthier now living in Florida. Twenty years ago, though, I was living on Maui and making koa ukuleles, about 800 of them in three years. I got into instrument building right about the time yet another ukulele craze was happening and I quickly discovered that I could sell all the soprano ukes I could make. Eventually I met and married a NY woman, retired, and moved to the Fingerlakes region of New York, where we lived until moving to warmer climes a few years ago.

Good to see the ukulele is still popular, it's a fun little instrument, and surprisingly versatile.

Cheers!

Welcome, my fellow Floridian, to UU!

Welcome. Where in Florida? I am in the South. Many of the members here are from Central and the West Coast of Florida.

Aloha and welcome to the UU!!

Greetings and welcome from the Florida Space Coast. Glad you joined us. There's also a Florida group on UU. Also, in case you haven't already discovered it, here's the Florida Ukulele Network: http://www.floridaukulelenetwork.org/

Welcome. Where in Florida? I am in the South. Many of the members here are from Central and the West Coast of Florida.

Ocala area, although after this winter, more south seems like a good idea. ;)

Ocala area, although after this winter, more south seems like a good idea. ;)

Hi, neighbor. We're probably in rock-throwing distance.

Welcome to UU! If you have any photos of the instruments you've made, we sure would like to see them!

Welcome to UU! If you have any photos of the instruments you've made, we sure would like to see them!

Your wish is my command... here's a walnut baritone uke I made last year.

walnut bari uke.jpg

Here's the only Maui uke I have left; this soprano was probably made in 1993. I kept it because of the huge crack that developed in the back shortly after I made it. Rather than try to repair it right, I just filled in the crack with sawdust and superglue and kept it.

2015-03-16 21.23.31.jpg
2015-03-16 21.24.30.jpg
2015-03-16 21.24.39.jpg

I've been playing this off and on for twenty+ years with the original strings I put on it. It still sounds pretty good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom