Faster, more accurate relative tuning method

fxkuehl

Reaction score
I have always found relative tuning rather time consuming and frustrating. It takes a lot of tweaking to get most chords to sound more or less clean. I've recently come up with a method that works much better for me, that I'd like to share.

I believe that one of the main problems with relative tuning is, that small errors accumulate as you move from string to string. Also, all methods I've seen, tune an open string against a fretted string. This can introduce errors because a fretted string has slightly higher tension, and an open string may be affected by imperfections of the nut.

Therefore I'm now always tuning a fretted string relative to another fretted string. I use a tuning fork tuned to an A (440Hz) as a reference. I start by tuning the G-string, 2nd fret to that reference. Then I tune the A-string, 1st fret against G-string, 3rd fret. Then E-string, 4th fret against G-string, 1st fret. Finally C-string, 5th fret against E-string, 1st fret.

This gives me a fairly accurate tuning with very little further tweaking required.

I haven't found any description of my method anywhere online, so I'm wondering if I'm the fist one to think of it. And I'd like to know if other people find this useful as well, or I'm just compensating for a problem with my particular instrument.

Cheers,
Felix

I've had the same experience and frustration, relative tuning so that small errors accumulate and then some chords sound correct, and you think you're done, but then other chords sound way off. Yours seems like a good idea. I'll give this a try.

This tuning technique sounds very similar to the DVD tutorial hosted by Daniel Ho except that in his method, he uses a ukulele pitch pipe (or piano) as a reference device for the A note. It's referred to as the "matching frets" method. I actually like this method. Thanks for sharing the tip!

sounds reasonable, i'll try it. When i set up a nut i tend to leave it so the first fret is at most 3 to 5 cents sharp compared to the open string. I don't like going into string buzz territory.

Funny you mention Daniel Ho. The book I'm learning from comes with a DVD featuring Daniel Ho. Unfortunately it doesn't show him tuning the Ukulele. The book explains a tuning method called "matching" frets, but it either tunes a fretted string with an open string as refernce, or an open string with a fretted string as reference. I'm avoiding open strings completely when tuning.

Funny you mention Daniel Ho. The book I'm learning from comes with a DVD featuring Daniel Ho. Unfortunately it doesn't show him tuning the Ukulele. The book explains a tuning method called "matching" frets, but it either tunes a fretted string with an open string as refernce, or an open string with a fretted string as reference. I'm avoiding open strings completely when tuning.

I see. Yours is a fretted string against a fretted string. You're correct, the Daniel Ho book that came with the DVD tutorial indeed tunes a fretted string with an open string. I thought I saw it in the DVD too, however it may have only been shown in the book.

Hi Ubulele, I think you're referrring to the thread "Are You Really In Tune?". OregonJim, the OP, wrote "When you tune the open strings this way, you are bringing them in tune at their lowest possible tension. As you begin playing and fretting notes, the action of pressing the strings to the frets increases string tension causing the strings to play sharper." The method he describes at the end of his post still uses open strings as reference, though.

Top Bottom