Mixer Recommendations

brUKEman

Reaction score
OK, due to previous posts on this forum the equipment I now have is: 2-PA Kustom 50 speakers and a Roland AC33 amp. We have a small group and I have 3 wired mics, one wireless mic & wireless instrument plug. I find it very confusing adjusting all the levels and think it would be best if I got a small mixer. I think possibly 10 or 12 channels would be good leaving me room for expansion. I am not a technical person and want something easy to setup and use. Any recommendations.

Yamaha has some fairly reasonably priced mixers I picked the c102 for a bit over $100 musicians friend has them on sale sometimes. I also got an optional bracket so it's at waist level. I also use color coded cables so I know what's what.

image.jpg

OK, due to previous posts on this forum the equipment I now have is: 2-PA Kustom 50 speakers and a Roland AC33 amp. We have a small group and I have 3 wired mics, one wireless mic & wireless instrument plug. I find it very confusing adjusting all the levels and think it would be best if I got a small mixer. I think possibly 10 or 12 channels would be good leaving me room for expansion. I am not a technical person and want something easy to setup and use. Any recommendations.

Ivan's recommendation is very similar to the Soundcraft Notepad 124 I bought on clearance from Musicians Friend:

soundcraft notepad 124.jpg

Prior to this, I was using a Shure 5 channel mixer - volume controls only, no EQ, but fed the PA50 just fine.

You should have no problem getting an 8-12 channel mixer in the $100 range, new.

-Kurt​

I have one of the old style Yamaha 12/4 mixers. Nice piece of kit, and iirc can be picked up relatively cheaply on ebay.
Can also supply power for XLR condenser mics.
Manual can be found on the Yamaha website.
h

I have a Yamaha 10/2. Works fine. I, also, have a couple of Mackies, which I have a soft spot for. Both are quality products.

In addition to Yahmaha and Mackie don't forget the Allen & Heath ZED series. Behringer mixers sound pretty good for home studios given the price, but I had the plastic housing on the power brick on one crack open.

Recently I had a Mackie 1202-VLZ3. Overall it was a decent mixer, but I felt that it removed some of the bottom end from recordings. Recordings that by-passed the mixer always sounded a bit more full.

Last edited:
With your current gear, a Harbinger L1202FX would fit the ticket for $115 bucks:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger-L1202FX-12-Channel-Mixer-with-Effects-110448362-i3786483.gc

LvL_L1202_FT.jpg

Ric, I think a couple steps up from this would be better. He needs more inputs for XLR mics and instruments. You know yourself, it is destiny... you're the king of gear. You could start your own swap-shop. :)

I'd look at Behringer's bigger boards on a budget. Allen & Heath are a bit more, but worth it.

Just discovered this thread, so I'm late to the party. Our band uses a Samson MDR1064 (6 XLR/line inputs + 2 stereo line inputs). Currently about $120 new. We've been very satisfied with it. Not lots of bells and whistles, but does what we need quite well.

George

Just discovered this thread, so I'm late to the party. Our band uses a Samson MDR1064 (6 XLR/line inputs + 2 stereo line inputs). Currently about $120 new. We've been very satisfied with it. Not lots of bells and whistles, but does what we need quite well.

George
amazon has the [h=1]Samson MDR1064 for $120[/h]

Top Bottom