NorCal beginner

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in upstate California, :cool: not too far from Sacramento. I am just new to playing an instrument (of any kind). In January I got a Cordoba concert uke from Amazon.com (which I like just fine), but then I wanted something more guitar-like, so I got a Mainland mahogany baritone, last week (which I am adoring).

My (elderly) mother has pretty serious dementia. I am her only caregiver. :eek:ld: I don't want to end up with dementia any sooner than I have to.:eek: I have studied brain structure and brain chemistry (bachelors in psychobiology) so it was extra-interesting to me when I had read research that said playing music develops the brain connectivity better than anything else.

I got the idea to play the ukulele, specifically, from watching a TED talk (The first 20 hours....) www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MgBikgcWnY and I liked Aldrine's video about learning to play the uke in 5 minutes.

So now (after about 3 months) I can almost play a couple of simple-ish songs, which makes me feel very amazed at myself. I am working on El Condor Pasa and Malagueña (the beginner versions) and I think I would like to try Oye Como Va next... but in the long run, I would LOVE to play clawhammer style.

For the time being I don't want to pay for lessons, so I'm picking up what I can from the web. I really enjoy UU. Thanks for letting me join!

In the future, I would like to own a reso-uke or a banjolele, and maybe one of those guitar dulcimers... oh, and a tenor guitar. (I'm really liking the idea of 4 strings). ;)

Welcome to UU...

Best wishes & strength to you with caring for your mum.
Same here!

If you're somewhat close to Rosevile, visit the Strum Shop. They have Uke University and they meet twice monthly. More details can be found here. Ooh . . . Welcome to the Underground.

Greetings and welcome. Glad you joined us.

Welcome from another NorCal uker. I am a bit north of Sacramento and can second Kanaka's suggestion of the Strum Shop. Great store, great community. Don't know if it's possible for you to get to the Reno ukefest, but it's a pretty incredible uke experience and not too far. I like your choices of songs, sounds like you'll be having a good time learning those.

Nick

I double-second recommend The Strum Shop. Great people and a ton of uke's to look over. They have free strum sessions every month that are fun.
--Rocky

If you're somewhat close to Rosevile, visit the Strum Shop. They have Uke University and they meet twice monthly. More details can be found here. Ooh . . . Welcome to the Underground.

Thank you (and the others) for the suggestion. I live on the other side of Sacramento, so Roseville isn't so close. I hadn't heard of the Strum Shop before. It sounds like a great place.

Top Bottom