Another string Q

fongie

Reaction score
Can someone point me out on some good threads that's been posted here on Concert strings?

I'm looking for more strings to try on my Kiwaya concert. I'm looking for more tension on the strings.

I tried the original strings it came with, don't like them, not sure what they were, too thick and stiff. I replaced it with Martin 600, that is not bad so far, a little soft though. I'm looking for more tension. Tah guys

Fremonts? Aquilas? Which strings have you tried?

If you like Martin (fluorocarbon) strings but want more tension you could look for larger gauge fluorocarbon strings. Worths? Living Waters? I love the Living Waters strings on my Collings tenor uke. Like the aquila nylgut strings on my Islander concert.

It seems the Ko'olau Alohi strings I've tried were higher tension. Oasis would be another option - I really liked the Oasis Warms on my Clara.

But - if you really want to get scientific about it - go here and read up. http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm you should be able to dial in a high tension set.

Sometimes I use Martin M620 *tenor* strings on my concert uke - this gives me both higher tension, and louder volume. Proceed with caution though; although I've never had any issues, I've been told that the higher tension could pull the bridge loose.

Fremont Blackline hards would be another good choice.

Good morning all........Thank you all, appreciate it

Okay, I'm not sure what strings that was on it, it was black. Could it be Fremonts? Aquila's I haven't yet tried, but I did try it on my Kanile'a S1, it was nice, maybe I will try that again. Worths I have not tried, I have heard so much about it, I will also try it out. Oasis was recommended to me, I'm not sure if they sell this here in Australia, not sure.

Thanks PTO I will. Jan thanks for that, yes, I'm aware of this, it also applies with my guitars.

Tah all, I will try as much diff. brands as I can, hopefully I strike the right note.

This is a bit OT...But over the years , I've found certain instruments like certain strings! From what I've read above, most of you agree this holds true with ukes, too. I read on one of these threads that fluorocarbon strings work well on sopranos.

I bought a Makala soprano at a pawn shop because I was out of town and didn't have an instrument with me. It was $20.00. I couldn't say no. Oddly enough, it's the cheapest uke I own, but one of my favorite to play! Someone put fluorocarbon strings on it and they just work. They're a match made in Uke Heaven.

Do ya'll find similar matches? Some ukes work better with particular strings?

This is a bit OT...But over the years , I've found certain instruments like certain strings! From what I've read above, most of you agree this holds true with ukes, too. I read on one of these threads that fluorocarbon strings work well on sopranos.

I bought a Makala soprano at a pawn shop because I was out of town and didn't have an instrument with me. It was $20.00. I couldn't say no. Oddly enough, it's the cheapest uke I own, but one of my favorite to play! Someone put fluorocarbon strings on it and they just work. They're a match made in Uke Heaven.

Do ya'll find similar matches? Some ukes work better with particular strings?

I think it's more a matter of materials than the scale of the uke. A warm wood might prefer a bright string, while a bright one (say, spruce) may play better with a lower-tension or quieter string.

Still, my soprano Flea loves Martins or D'Addario Titaniums. Aquila nylguts are too muddy -- plus, the Flea is such a loud player that the additional brightness of the nylguts can be overwhelming. My Ohana soprano (solid hog) works best with Martins, which bring out the warmth. The Ohana Vita (concert) really barks, and the Martins are great with it. OTOH, my Ohana tenor (solid spruce top, laminated back and sides) barks, too, and it does fine with nylguts. I haven't tried Worths on it yet; they're next.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary.

Top Bottom