::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 20!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup - tangerine oil.... or paint your bum blue... that helps too according to come... just trying to help...

Aloha! Dr. Tack, is there any type of Aboriginal medicine like how there is Chinese/Herbal medicine?
I imagine it must be maddening at times to suggest a course of treatment and then have the patient just say, "Oh, that's OK, I'll just stick with my bark tea and echidna dung pellet regimen!"

At the same time, I cannot see how Eastern medicine can survive for so many thousands of years without having some benefit, unless it is entirely due to the placebo effect, which I find somewhat unlikely.

Still, if I have something really wrong with me, I'm only going to Chinatown after everything the regular doc gives me fails.

I just texted Gary to make sure I have his right cell #. It is in my phone as his home #, so we'll see. Gary, use txt or FB messenger if you want to get in touch with me while you are here.

Okay. Sent you a text too:)

The dizziness is caused by the pressure of the fluid. Just take two Benadryl (50 mg) that will dry out the fluid. If you're eyes get dry buy some eye drops. Seriously, you've taken all these complex multi drugs that have done nothing. Diphenhydramine is a very simple drug that works great, just take it.

Diphenhydramine is Benadryl, by the way

Is that from Ted's Bakery?

That's right down the road.

Ted's Haupia chocolate cream pie is outstanding. The lemon Crunch Cake is a signature Aiea Bowl (actually The Alley Restaurant) item they make themselves. All the desserts at Aiea Bowl are good.
We want to try the Tasty Tuesday Menu at Aiea Bowl sometime.
http://www.aieabowl.com/tasty-tuesdays/

Aloha! Dr. Tack, is there any type of Aboriginal medicine like how there is Chinese/Herbal medicine?
I imagine it must be maddening at times to suggest a course of treatment and then have the patient just say, "Oh, that's OK, I'll just stick with my bark tea and echidna dung pellet regimen!"

At the same time, I cannot see how Eastern medicine can survive for so many thousands of years without having some benefit, unless it is entirely due to the placebo effect, which I find somewhat unlikely.

Still, if I have something really wrong with me, I'm only going to Chinatown after everything the regular doc gives me fails.

Interestingly not really much in that way with the australian aborigines that I have come across. A heck of a lot of spiritualism based treatments with casting out etc etc. Echidna dung pellets are reserved for visiting Americans...

Eastern medicine is very sophisticated and many of their plants have been and are being studied to see what makes them work - when they work - also has a lot of common sense stuff - immobilization of sprains etc etc. If all you have are plants use the plants. Nowadays in the western world we have isolated and concentrated heaps of stuff which makes our life easier - take 2 aspirin is easier than brew a couple of liters of willow bark tea!

Drugs like Claritin and Zyrtec are supposed to be taken regularly to actually have their full effect. Popping one when you feel symptoms won't give you the best benefit - they are a daily maintenance drug to prevent symptoms, not as much to treat them after they appear. In general, I'm not a doctor, etc.

The cool thing about Kaiser is that you learn a lot about your meds, their effects, and alternatives. There's a lot of incentive to be an active participant in your healthcare.

That is interesting. Hawaiians / Polynesians are very spiritual. They believe the spirits are in all things, the plants, the animals, the `aina (land) and the sea. I am fascinated by their regard for spirits in both animate and inanimate objects. There is a famous tattoo artist who does traditional tattoo (kakau) with the stick, and he talks about how when you go collect the materials to make the ink, you thank the plants for giving up their lives to make the ink, how he gets up at 3am to wake up the tools before they are used so they are ready to work, etc. Also Hula dancers, when they collect flowers and grasses for lei always thank the plants for allowing them to take the flowers. I do the same thing now when I pick flowers from my yard or collect a papaya from my tree.

Pretty cool stuff!

Ours have all died off, I think. You would think that the STATE FLOWER that is NATIVE to OREGON would be pretty much maintenance free, huh?

We had one in the yard when I was growing up. Don't remember it needing any special care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom