::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 20!

Status
Not open for further replies.
a + singular noun beginning with a consonant: a boy; a car; a bike; a zoo; a dog
an + singular noun beginning with a vowel: an elephant; an egg; an apple; an idiot; an orphan
a + singular noun beginning with a consonant sound: a user (sounds like 'yoo-zer,' i.e. begins with a consonant 'y' sound, so 'a' is used); a university; a unicycle
an + nouns starting with silent "h": an hour
a + nouns starting with a pronounced "h": a horse

In some cases where "h" is pronounced, such as "historical," you can use an. However, a is more commonly used and preferred.

In other words, if you say "You ka lay lee" then it is a ukulele.
If you say "oo koo leh leh" then an ukulele.

You guys don't look much like Jon to me.

Humph.

So I have most of my Lilo and Stitch theme decorations up in my cube. I have the ohana quote coming to put on the wall above my desk ("Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.") and a beachy backdrop to put up. I have Hawaiian music playing on my phone. It is very peaceful.

So I have most of my Lilo and Stitch theme decorations up in my cube. I have the ohana quote coming to put on the wall above my desk ("Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.") and a beachy backdrop to put up. I have Hawaiian music playing on my phone. It is very peaceful.

We need pictures!

Once I get the backdrop up I'll post pictures. My stuffed Stitch is sitting on top of my monitors.

I'm glad he finally got to you!! Did he tell you all about his travels? Lol

On KTLA this morning they introduced the newest Disney princess. Some 14 year old. I guess they are making a movie. Anyway, it's got a Hawaiian theme and she's from Oahu.

On KTLA this morning they introduced the newest Disney princess. Some 14 year old. I guess they are making a movie. Anyway, it's got a Hawaiian theme and she's from Oahu.

Yes she has been all over the news here recently as well. She is going to be the first Polynesian Disney princess. Her name is Moana. There has also been some uproar that the villian in the movie is going to be Pele. Hawaiians are upset because although Pele can be destructive (with lava and volcanoes and fire and all that) she is definitely not evil, and there is some backlash that the Hawaiians do not want Pele to be portrayed as evil.

Yes she has been all over the news here recently as well. She is going to be the first Polynesian Disney princess. Her name is Moana. There has also been some uproar that the villian in the movie is going to be Pele. Hawaiians are upset because although Pele can be destructive (with lava and volcanoes and fire and all that) she is definitely not evil, and there is some backlash that the Hawaiians do not want Pele to be portrayed as evil.

Disney should respect that, and give the villain a different name...or a different villian altogether.

Disney should respect that, and give the villain a different name...or a different villian altogether.

Yeah, I just did a little more research - seems like they did actually change the plot a bit - and that there is an evil lava spirit but it is a Maori evil lava spirit and not Pele! The story is now more of an adventure, with Moana proving herself as a navigator. That actually fits in with current events. The Hokule`a voyaging canoe is on a worldwide mission to show that ancient Polynesians were skilled navigators and were able to cross the oceans thousands of years ago with no instruments. For many years the Western world was OK with dismissing the ancients as having discovered Hawaii by accident, but many people are now coming around that the ancients knew full well what they were doing. It is a fascinating story.

Yeah, I just did a little more research - seems like they did actually change the plot a bit - and that there is an evil lava spirit but it is a Maori evil lava spirit and not Pele! The story is now more of an adventure, with Moana proving herself as a navigator. That actually fits in with current events. The Hokule`a voyaging canoe is on a worldwide mission to show that ancient Polynesians were skilled navigators and were able to cross the oceans thousands of years ago with no instruments. For many years the Western world was OK with dismissing the ancients as having discovered Hawaii by accident, but many people are now coming around that the ancients knew full well what they were doing. It is a fascinating story.
duh, have they read Mitchner?

duh, have they read Mitchner?

*I* have :D
Seriously, when the first Hokule`a, and even the earlier one in the 40's, the Kon-Tiki I believe, many still believed that it was just favorable currents that would deposit the voyagers where they needed to go, not that they were actually navigating.
Nainoa Thompson, President of the Polynesian Voyaging Society and navigator of the Hokule`a, had a special on PBS where he showed a bit about how it works. They actually used the mast, boom, and hull of the canoe as reference points against the stars and in effect turned the boat itself into a sextant. Really fascinating, and obviously he proved that it works. What is a bit more mystical is how the ancients "knew" the Hawaiian Islands (the most isolated archipelago on the planet) were there to be found. He speaks about ancient knowledge handed down orally about how to read the water, what birds and fish to look for that signal land nearby. In ancient times, the South Pacific people needed to expand as their islands were getting crowded. If you could discover a new island, you could become chief of that island, so there was a strong incentive to explore. Nainoa set out to prove that they were not just exploring at random, but that they knew where to go, and were able to voyage repeatedly between various island groups like Tahiti, New Zealand, Hawaii, and Easter Island. Cool stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom