::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 20!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had those after we built our house - the construction disturbed the earth and the house was their perfect new place to explore. We finally seemed to be rid of them this year...until about 3 weeks ago. I HATE THEM

I read that you can get rid of them by blowing them up! No REALLY! Mix the same amount of powdered sugar and baking soda in a container. The ants can't tell the difference and will eat both. The baking soda makes them explode. (Yeah, guess they can't burp or pass gas like humans!)

That seems pretty cruel, though, so I'm just gonna keep on smashing them for now.

Posted this on Facebook but some of you don't Facebook... I just want to say... Thanks for all of your support!!!

attachment.php

These pictures were taken one year to the day apart!

Looking great, Andy!! You have every right to be very proud of yourself....

I found another place that has Fuji apples and they pick until November.

I love Fuji apples! Might go on Saturday after the pumpkin patch.

My favorite apples are the Empires. They have just begun picking them this year, and I have tomorrow off. I see a trip to the local apple farm in my future!!

My IQ is much higher than I am smart if you know what I mean.

I think I test well. Especially if it involves conceptual things. I'm much, much dumber than what my IQ is. Maybe I have that potential, but I am not super smart.

This is me, too. I test very well. I got so tired of hearing, in school, that I was failing to work up to my potential....

I read that you can get rid of them by blowing them up! No REALLY! Mix the same amount of powdered sugar and baking soda in a container. The ants can't tell the difference and will eat both. The baking soda makes them explode. (Yeah, guess they can't burp or pass gas like humans!)

That seems pretty cruel, though, so I'm just gonna keep on smashing them for now.

Tried it. Didn't work.

Tried powered sugar/borax mix. Didn't work.

Terro works - but there are so many of the little beasties that it takes a while for them all to die.

My favorite apples are the Empires. They have just begun picking them this year, and I have tomorrow off. I see a trip to the local apple farm in my future!!

*Sigh*

We have this conversation EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

:)

Tried it. Didn't work.

Tried powered sugar/borax mix. Didn't work.

Terro works - but there are so many of the little beasties that it takes a while for them all to die.

What is terro and how does it work?

I also read they don't like chalk. Grind it up and sprinkle it around. And cinnamon is supposed to keep them away. Or peppermint.

But I wonder if the ants are the ones writing all of these "solutions" and sitting back and laughing.

Little boogers . . .

WAIT! I know what will work! We just need one thing!!!

An anteater!!!!!!! Wonder how much they cost?

What is terro and how does it work?

I also read they don't like chalk. Grind it up and sprinkle it around. And cinnamon is supposed to keep them away. Or peppermint.

But I wonder if the ants are the ones writing all of these "solutions" and sitting back and laughing.

Little boogers . . .

WAIT! I know what will work! We just need one thing!!!

An anteater!!!!!!! Wonder how much they cost?

Terro is a commercial bait/killer. You can get granules or little bait packs - contain liquid bait that the ants grab and take back to the nest.

Here is the information a bit of Google-Fu yielded....

Pissant
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the song by the Smashing Pumpkins, see Pisces Iscariot.

Formica Rufa, a typical pissant
A pissant, also seen as piss ant or piss-ant, refers to a specific type of ant. The word is also used as a pejorative noun or adjective, indicating insignificance.[1]

It has its origin in the word pismire, a 14th-century term for ant.[2][3]

The original pissant is any of a certain group of large ant species, commonly called wood ants, that make mounded nests in forests throughout most of Europe.[4] The name pissant arises from the urine-like odour produced by their nesting material—needles and straw from pine trees—and the formic acid that constitutes their venom.[5] Formica rufa is one such ant, but there are others with similar characteristics. Forelius and Iridomyrmex are two genera of piss ants.[6] In the United States, the word pissant can refer to any small ant that infests a home.[7]

Contents [hide]
1 Slang
2 Culture
3 See also
4 References
Slang[edit]
Pissant is an epithet for an inconsequential, irrelevant, or worthless person, especially one who is irritating or contemptible out of proportion to his or her perceived significance. A Virginia politician is said to have silenced a heckler by saying, "I'm a big dog on a big hunt and I don't have time for a piss-ant on a melon stalk."[8]

The term piss-ant can also be used as an adjective, usually as a pejorative, to mean insignificant and annoying. In conversations with his advisors during the Vietnam War, U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson referred to Vietnam as "a piddling piss-ant little country".[9]

Another thing I trip out on...
Fractals - the thing about them is that as you zoom in, the patterns repeat themselves. (oversimplifying a LOT). This appears in nature all the time, like a tree, you have the trunk and the branches, and as the branches split to smaller and smaller twigs the patterns are similar. Broccoli too. Same with blood vessels. Rivers, river deltas. The lungs, etc.

OK so how about this? An atom - a nucleus with electrons orbiting around it. Planet with moons orbiting around it. Star with planets orbiting around that. Local groups of stars orbiting around each other. Galaxies have a nucleus with stars orbiting around that. Local groups of galaxies orbit around each other. Superclusters of galaxies...

It is just awesome.

Isn't that strange? It's not like it's a complicated or magical process...but something about squishing that big vat of apple shreds and seeing the juice come pouring out is very satisfying.

I want to make crockpot applesauce but first I have to fix my peeler/corer device. It isn't put together right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom