::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 20!

Status
Not open for further replies.
She pretty much made everyone in Tampa feel bad. If they didn't they should have. There she was, an invited performer, moaning about still doing festivals. Ask JT.

And...note to self...sit by Mim and Chrissy Hind when said performer plays. They make one giggle.

Hmm... someone care to enlighten me? Haven't seen JT on this thread since I've been back. Was she seriously performing at a festival and complaining that she wasn't "bigger" and still performing at festivals?

Well I think a lot of musicians have egos. You don't see many of the "famous" ones doing fests like this. You'd like to think that uke musicians are different but I don't blame them when they aren't.

Once again, it's just me. :D

To be fair, what comes on the radio is hardly his best stuff.

Well, I have an open mind. What songs, of his, do you suggest I listen to?

I think a lot of artists are not shown in their best light on the radio.

She pretty much made everyone in Tampa feel bad. If they didn't they should have. There she was, an invited performer, moaning about still doing festivals. Ask JT.

And...note to self...sit by Mim and Chrissy Hind when said performer plays. They make one giggle.

Oh my... and if you sit by me at TBUG... I may get the giggles when Stu Blows his Uke!

Hmm... someone care to enlighten me? Haven't seen JT on this thread since I've been back. Was she seriously performing at a festival and complaining that she wasn't "bigger" and still performing at festivals?

Well I think a lot of musicians have egos. You don't see many of the "famous" ones doing fests like this. You'd like to think that uke musicians are different but I don't blame them when they aren't.

#1 She made a comment referencing that her audience was all old. "I am going to play this song about loss of memory, which I am sure most of you can relate too."

#2 Yes, she made a comment about playing ukulele and kind of did an eye roll, sigh, wave of the hand, "Yeah... I'm living the dream."

Both times I was like... ummm... wow... umm... did she really just say that? She did! Oh my! Wow!

Cause, you know... there are a TON of other SUCKY things you could be doing sweetie! And I thank my lucky stars I get to sell ukes and see some of the world (on my own dime, not on a fests dime like she does), and when I am not at a fest, I am working 40+ hours a week, sometimes upwards to 80, just to provide for my family. You get to sing songs and meet cool people... if you would just come out of your room and be social. So... get over yourself. (end rant... I hate people who don't recognize the awesome in their life... I am grateful for every little piece of awesome I can grasp... you are playing to a huge room of people... don't patronize them)

Last edited:

I've had the good fortune to hang out with some of the biggest names in uke and they are all very accessible, humble . . . human. I was telling my buddy that the bar bands we worked with when we bartended have bigger egos than any uke star I've met.

I think that's part of what makes it such a great community. Uke people are just cool.

Is this a riddle?

Ha! Not at all. I was just wondering.

The word narcissist seems to be tossed around a lot out there nowadays. I think it's overused. People use it describing someone with a huge ego, it's different. A very dear friends father is one, diagnosed and was offered help but in true narcissist fashion refuses to get help. The things he's put his very resilient daughter through are horrible.

Or just sit behind these three ladies and watch their shoulders jiggle.

And yes Nick, she did say those things that Mim said on stage at Tampa. I wasn't too sure if she was being sarcastic or not, and I'm pretty good at catching true sarcasm. It was odd and a bit uncomfortable.

Remember when we saw her at Island Bazaar with James Hill? (Rob and Colin were there, I think you were too). It feels to me like she's addressing the little people, for me at least. There's not any warmth felt.

Sally! Ask your hubby what he recommends is the most intregal part of disc golf for a beginner? Ethan is HUGELY into it but he has nobody to help him learn and I barely known enough... He got a beginner set with a driver, mid range and putter, but I don't know if they are the right sizes for him... Are there lighter ones for his age (8 next month) or should he start with normal weight? Any information you can get from Mike would be DEEPLY appreciated! Thanks!

In case you missed it Sally... Thanks!

catching upppppp

Thanks everyone who said hi :)

I'm well. Just plugging along through my degree, getting ready for my internship, and eating a lot of mashed potatoes. Trying to squeeze in some uke time here or there but it's... hard going. I may leave my soprano in the office if my officemates don't object, just to get a few minutes in before school or something.

Well, I have an open mind. What songs, of his, do you suggest I listen to?

I think a lot of artists are not shown in their best light on the radio.

I'll give you my top 5.

1. Victoria
2. Comfortable
3. My Stupid Mouth
4. City Love
5. St. Patrick's Day

His first full length album "Room for Squares" is pretty much awesome. I'm not as much in love with his newer stuff but it's still pretty solid.

May not be your cup of tea and that's totally OK!

I'll give you my top 5.

1. Victoria
2. Comfortable
3. My Stupid Mouth
4. City Love
5. St. Patrick's Day

His first full length album "Room for Squares" is pretty much awesome. I'm not as much in love with his newer stuff but it's still pretty solid.

May not be your cup of tea and that's totally OK!

Make sure you listen to the lyrics!

#1 She made a comment referencing that her audience was all old. "I am going to play this song about loss of memory, which I am sure most of you can relate too."

#2 Yes, she made a comment about playing ukulele and kind of did an eye roll, sigh, wave of the hand, "Yeah... I'm living the dream."

Both times I was like... ummm... wow... umm... did she really just say that? She did! Oh my! Wow!

Cause, you know... there are a TON of other SUCKY things you could be doing sweetie! And I thank my lucky stars I get to sell ukes and see some of the world (on my own dime, not on a fests dime like she does), and when I am not at a fest, I am working 40+ hours a week, sometimes upwards to 80, just to provide for my family. You get to sing songs and meet cool people... if you would just come out of your room and be social. So... get over yourself. (end rant... I hate people who don't recognize the awesome in their life... I am grateful for every little piece of awesome I can grasp... you are playing to a huge room of people... don't patronize them)

Maybe those were just bad jokes? Well either way that wasn't very nice.

You know I was sitting here thinking that we're lucky that a musician of that caliber still does festivals, but at the same time, no one is begging her to do them so she should be more appreciative.

I've met more than my share of musicians who weren't very nice so it's not surprising. :)

I've had the good fortune to hang out with some of the biggest names in uke and they are all very accessible, humble . . . human. I was telling my buddy that the bar bands we worked with when we bartended have bigger egos than any uke star I've met.

I think that's part of what makes it such a great community. Uke people are just cool.

That is true. It's one of the few instruments were most of the big timers are so down to earth.

Of course big time for uke is hardly big time. I'm not confident if these people were making millions off albums and tours that they would still be so nice. This is not a knock against anyone, just a simple observation that enormous amounts of money tend to change people.

I guess most people don't start playing uke with the dream of getting really famous because it just ain't happening. So perhaps that minimizes the jerks a bit. :)

And yes Nick, she did say those things that Mim said on stage at Tampa. I wasn't too sure if she was being sarcastic or not, and I'm pretty good at catching true sarcasm. It was odd and a bit uncomfortable.

Remember when we saw her at Island Bazaar with James Hill? (Rob and Colin were there, I think you were too). It feels to me like she's addressing the little people, for me at least. There's not any warmth felt.

I don't think I was there for that. I"m pretty sure I was making sure my dad wasn't bored.

I've only seen her at one of the napa uke fests years back. She seemed really nice and pleasant then. Perhaps the years have changed her.

Ha! Not at all. I was just wondering.

The word narcissist seems to be tossed around a lot out there nowadays. I think it's overused. People use it describing someone with a huge ego, it's different. A very dear friends father is one, diagnosed and was offered help but in true narcissist fashion refuses to get help. The things he's put his very resilient daughter through are horrible.

I agree. The word is thrown around. Narcissists leave a trail of people they hurt along the way. I have a friend that is like that. She has hurt me and many people over the years. Many wonder why I still speak to her. Sometimes I go a year or two of not speaking to her...then give her another chance, hoping she's changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom