::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 20!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, one and all! I have nothing much on my agenda today, other than cutting the grass. I'm supposed to do a "driving Miss Daisy" thing today, but that may not happen. The customer never told the center where she needs to go, or what time she needs to be there. All we know is that her appointment is for today, sometime. Neither the center or I have been able to reach her on the phone. Oh, well. I can't help her without more information....

Good morning, one and all! I have nothing much on my agenda today, other than cutting the grass. I'm supposed to do a "driving Miss Daisy" thing today, but that may not happen. The customer never told the center where she needs to go, or what time she needs to be there. All we know is that her appointment is for today, sometime. Neither the center or I have been able to reach her on the phone. Oh, well. I can't help her without more information....

I hope she is OK. Is it usual for her to not answer? Does she live close, to where you can stop in and check on her?

My grandma is in assisted living. The other day, I called her. I heard her pick up the phone but never heard anything else and it scared me. I live quite a ways away. My mom lives close to her, so she went and checked. If my mom hadn't, I would have called the assisted living place and asked them to check. This is my dad's mom. Her only living family is my aunt, her grandkids and one nephew. My aunt use to go see her daily but she just moved up north.

Attending a funeral today for one of the early participants in our Haiti ministries. He's not someone I knew, but he is important to the people who got me going to Haiti. Since they are no longer in the area I'm going as their proxy.

Then I get to piggyback a bunch of other errands on that side of Kansas City.

PC(USA) General Assembly voted to authorize gay weddings last summer. Whether it passes the votes of the presbyteries is another thing - we'll see. My presbytery will probably vote yes.

I am well aware of the controversy, having represented one side of it within my own congregation a couple of years ago. At that time I learned my local church was a good deal more conservative than I'd previously thought. It was a distressing discovery when a congregation that espouses "Glorify God" as its main function in this world actually shows that to be "Glorify God (unless you're gay)". We almost left over that - but decided if our family can represent God's love of all to the congregation, then maybe at least we would be heard and understood gradually...

I'm not one for controversy so I will likely never post about something like this on Facebook because I have far to may righties that would pummel my wall if I would... But I 100% agree with you, it's sad that the church as a whole has forgotten her soul purpose... To love one another as He loves you! Hate speech only shows others that we will love you as long as you fit into this box, when Jesus would have never put anyone into a box, he ate with saints and sinners alike! Wow I am rambling on... But you get the point, not that I needed to point it out to you, but yeah, I am so happy your friends were able to finally show the world their love legally!

My recent blood work results are in, and the numbers aren't great. Even though I take a statin drug daily, my cholesterol is elevated and my triglycerides are very high. Now my doctor is saying I should reduce my carb intake.

But....carbs are yummy....

Bring it down to 100-150 a day, you would be surprised how easy that is without sacrificing your love for carbs! Also, not all carbs are created equal! Cutting down on the types of carbs Americans eat daily in mass quantities... Nebs Nebs!!! Will help, switching to whole wheat breads, brown rice, steel cut oats and the list goes on will help too! I was doing low carb for about 3 weeks... For me it wasn't sustainable... I read the above article and I switched up the things I was doing and it's amazing the changes you'll see without sacrificing taste!

I'm giving it a shot. It's the McDonald's that'll be really hard. I'm gonna cut way back, though. I can substitute grilled chicken wraps for burgers. I can skip the fries, or occasionally get one of the smallest sizes. Quitting the pancakes may kill me, though. I LOVE the pancakes, and usually have them about three days a week. I need to make myself order the oatmeal, instead.

You're right. Getting old sucks. But, it beats the alternative....

Try the burgers but do no bun and get two pieces of leaf lettuce, DELICIOUS! Seriously!

[Wow, it's $20+ here minimum. I do go to a local hardware place so at least you only pay for the fuel you add.

Made tri-tip, it was really good!

Bulgogi.

Nick's fault.

I buy the full short rib and butterfly cut the meat around it so it's a long strip connected to the bone still. There are a few Korean restaurants around here that cut them that way so I copied them.

Today we wanted to get out of the house but it was not really beach weather. We wanted to avoid town because 50,000 people were expected at the lantern ceremony. We decided to go to north shore and have garlic shrimp at Tita's.
We headed up and by the time we got to Haleiwa the traffic was stopped. We turned around and drove basically halfway around the island, it was fun though! Then we decided to continue in the same direction home until- you guessed it- hit traffic again! So we turned around AGAIN and drove all the way back around! Nice day though! Beautiful views all day long.

I saw pics of the lantern ceremony. The bay looked beautiful.

Gary, what is your average daily intake? Like give me an example of your typical meals for the day?

Right now?

I have half an avocado spread on two pieces of toast and coffee for breakfast.

A diabetic nutrition bar or carrots/radishes/celery around 10:00.

Whatever I remember to bring for lunch. Usually a sandwich or leftovers making sure it's 45g of carbs or less.

Afternoon snack is the veggies again or sometimes a slice of bread with peanut butter. If I skip this snack I usually go overboard at dinner so this one is important.

Dinner is the hard one because we've been so busy with James' activities that we eat out quite a bit. If we go out I try to have a salad and a little protein. I try to do the same thing at home. About four ounces of protein and as many veggies as it takes to feel satisfied with little to no starch/carbs (I figure I get enough carbs in sauces and dressings to get by).

Sometimes if I'm hungry after dinner I'll eat half an avocado by itself for the fat to feel satiated.

I haven't tracked it, but I would guess I'm under or around 1800 calories. Once my body figures out that 1800 calories is going to be the norm, I'll start dropping more weight.

I've never seen options like that here. There are always salads available, and often vegetarian entrees. I love eggs, and I love oatmeal (but that's back to carbs, right?). I'm trying to do better, but it's not easy, as everyone knows. I had my shredded wheat this morning, and two grilled chicken snack wraps for lunch. And, (are you sitting down?) I have not had any Diet Coke since last Sunday. I never would have thought I could do that....

You probably have Whole Foods market there right? Check them out, they are pricey but you're going to find eating healthier isn't cheap! If not check health foods stores... I like Country Choice Steel Cut Instant Oatmeal, it's better for you and it's still quick! You can also do normal steel cut oats the night before, water to boil then put your oats in and boil for 2 minutes then remove from heat and let sit overnight (not in the fridge!) and then warm up in the microwave in the morning :)

I hope she is OK. Is it usual for her to not answer? Does she live close, to where you can stop in and check on her?

My grandma is in assisted living. The other day, I called her. I heard her pick up the phone but never heard anything else and it scared me. I live quite a ways away. My mom lives close to her, so she went and checked. If my mom hadn't, I would have called the assisted living place and asked them to check. This is my dad's mom. Her only living family is my aunt, her grandkids and one nephew. My aunt use to go see her daily but she just moved up north.

She's okay. The center was finally able to reach her daughter, and she said she would take her mom to today's appointment. I think it may be a matter of the lady being concerned about answering her phone when she doesn't recognize the number. Sometimes I wonder whether caller ID is a good thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom