Ohana TK300G or Martin T1K?

spurbrick

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of these two tenors and what most would recommend?

My Martin T1K is almost 2 years old now, and I am very happy with it. Definitely a keeper. Can't speak for the Ohana, though I have read positive reviews about them.

It will have to be the Martin T1K because the Ohana TK300G is a discontinued model.

I've tried about three different T1K's and they were all very well built instruments. Very clean. The koa wood was pretty too.
I enjoyed the tone, but of course tone is subjective. Elderly Instruments is a good place to get them because they do a professional inspection and setup before shipping.
As a side note, I loved the smell of them.
I have no problems recommending them....same goes for the C1K and the S1.

love my t1k, fav uku of the bunch

So I have been comparing these two, although not side by side. I have also been comparing them to K-ukes like Kanilea, Kamaka, and KoAloha.

I haven't touched a TK-300g since last Fall, but I remember it being gorgeous to look at. The neck width was on the narrow side, making it easy to get my hands around. It felt comfortable. Tone was not terribly loud, but it sounded sweet.

The Martin, and I have tried two of them, sounds tight. It's not particularly responsive. Once you lay into it, it gets loud, but it doesn't have the richness of tonality or responsiveness that better ukes have. Asking someone in a shop where I played one, he said that the Nazereth, PA built Martins are better, more responsive and richer. But he says they're built like Martins, for bark and volume, in comparison to a Hawaiian uke, which is more designed for tonality and subtlety.

One T1K sample had terrible wood matching. The other one had nicer wood and was much better matched. I wonder about their quality control a bit, regarding ones from the Mexican factory.

I played two Kanileas as well as one Kamaka at the same shop. All three were more responsive than the Martin T1K, but were not louder than the Martin. But one model, a $4000 one, was incredibly responsive. Up and down the fretboard, it took little effort, both regarding pressing down on the fretboard, as well as getting a beautiful tone to arise from the instrument. Clearly you get what you pay for here. That $4000 model was just magical. Delicately built and beautiful to touch and play.

I'm a relative neophyte when it comes to ukuleles, but clearly you get better wood boards, and better, more delicate building, culminating in a responsive, gorgeous sounding, easy to play ukulele.

I'm interested in trying the Ohana TK300G again, for reference. For sure, the Ohana is a much better looking ukulele than the Martin.

I don't have the budget to buy a $4000 ukulele. I'm more in the $500-700 range. I might keep an eye out for a used one, but I have a better sense of the qualities I'd like to find in a tenor.

And, by the way, I own a KoAloha concert, and it has a lot of the qualities I seek.

I like my Martin T1k. It has rather sober looks but some like that. I do. The koa grain is simple but there is a shimmery area on the side when I look down. The finish is soft and easily nicked with a fingernail. The finish has come off mine in a patch near where I strum but it doesn't look bad, just road-worn. The logo sticker can peel off, possibly if you leave a tuner clamped on it. Mine is now in no logo stealth mode. Occasionally someone peers into the soundhole and murmurs, 'oh, a Martin.' Which they will never do with an Ohana.

Top Bottom