NUD: Deering Goodtime Banjo Ukulele

SteveZ

Reaction score
Deering Goodtime Banjo Ukulele.

This gem (first photo)arrived yesterday, so there has been not a lot of time to examine, play, restring, etc.. First impression - well worth the money!

Appearance: It's typical "Deering Goodtime" and follows that style. The second photo is of the Banjo Uke beside my Deering Goodtime Tenor Banjo. I like the look, especially with the eleven-inch head. In person it looks better to me than the advertising photos.

Playability: As smooth as silk (after a fix*). The neck is slick and easy to go up and down the fretboard. The Banjo Uke came tuned GCEA (high G) with Aquila NylGuts. I swapped out the GC with low-C and low-G, detuned the E to D, so now its CGDA (fifths), just like my Tenor Banjo. It almost seems like Deering (long-time banjo maker) really wanted to make a good sounding nylon-string tenor banjo in "travel" size, more so than a ukulele that looks like a banjo. Setting up a tenor banjo to ukulele concert length gave the best of both musical worlds.

The overall build of the Banjo Uke seems as solid, construction and material-wise, as the Tenor Banjo. The wood is the same, the neck dimensions (except for length) seem the same. Ditto for the number of hooks, screws, tuners, the connector rod and all. While Deering hasn't said so, the Banjo Uke appears sturdy enough to handle steel strings. Sometime in the future I may put GDAE or CGDA mandolin strings (with a loop end) on the Banjo Uke just to hear how it sounds.

*the fix - The nut is cut flush with the neck, but it is squared off to a sharp top edge. When playing up on the first three frets, the edge of the nut jabbed into the base of my left index finger. The jab was sharp enough to be a bother, so I got a small file from my toolkit and rounded the edge. That solved the problem completely.

Sound: It sounds like a banjo with nylon strings, very bright and cheerful. The Aquila NylGuts really work well with this design. That may be impacted somewhat by the tuning (having a low-C string really makes a difference). It definitely is much more "banjo-ee" than my Gretsch 9470. I think the EZ resonator on my tenor banjo will fit, should I want to make the instrument louder. A sound sample of this instrument is at https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/deering-banjo-ukulele-hotel

Uniqueness: This is indeed a banjo with uke-like tendencies. It has a five-string banjo tailpiece with hooks for connecting strings. As a result, it's necessary to knot the strings in a "bowline knot" to connect them to the tailpiece hooks (see the third photo).

Bottom line: Am glad I got it. It's fun, sounds great and easy to play. Deering really got it right with this gem.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, Steve, for such a detailed report! And damn you, Steve, for feeding my UAS yet again!

Nice review and thank you for the pics especially side by side with the tenor banjo. It looks better in person. I'm sure it's top notch quality since it's a Deering. And no-thank-you for making me want one :)

Nice, thoughtful review.

Shall we start a pool to see how long, or shall I say quickly, @RichM pulls the trigger on one? ;-)

You would think that Deering could use a 4 string tailpiece..not just a standard do it all one.

I wonder if the next step will be a tenor ukulele size, just need a new neck with a 17 inch scale length.

It would not surprise me to see Deering market this instrument as a "travel tenor banjo." It is a lot easier to carry than the Goodtime tenor banjo and the construction quality indicate it should take steel strings with no problem. So, it can be a nylon string GCEA banjo uke, or a nylon string CGDA banjo uke / tenor banjo hybrid (as I have it set up) or as a steel string GDAE/CGDA short-length tenor banjo. It is really that versatile.

I like the idea of the Goodtime banjos with a standard set of interchangeable parts to configure 4 and 5 string banjos with steel or nylon strings with only different necks between models. Consistent quality and reasonable prices and built in the US. Easier to do with banjos than with regular ukes. Very nice...

Congrats! She's a beauty.

Now the fun begins..... Took the EZ-Resonator off my Deering Goodtime tenor banjo and put it on the banjo uke. It fits perfectly. The amp effect is indeed obvious and it doesn't add much weight, and the instrument still fits in the gig bag.

image.jpg

SteveZ, would you travel with it? Throw it in the car to take to a jam? Mike at Uke Republic got some in and I am completely enamored but when I looked at a review online it seemed so big! How do you think it will travel?

That's what I plan to do with it, whether it's a uke jam, a banjo uke jam, a banjo-fest or any other musical event. As you can see by this photo of the banjo uke and the tenor banjo in their respective gig bags, the encased banjo uke is significantly shorter than its tenor banjo brother for carrying and storage. Weight-wise, the Deering weighs about 40% more than my Gretsch 9470 banjo uke.

That brings up an interesting playing characteristic. As this banjo uke and the tenor banjo have the same size pot, they both sit on the sitting person in the same manner for play - one just has a shorter neck to deal with. When standing (I put a banjo strap on this banjo uke), they rest against the body almost identically, so the only playing difference is my left arm doesn't extend as far. Weight-wise, the Deering needs a strap for stand-up playing.

The second photo shows the Deering next to my 8-inch pot Gretsch 9470 banjo uke. While that pot-size differential looks immense, the Deering really is comfortable to hold and play. For me, the Deering is definitely a keeper.

image.jpg image.jpg

I may have overlooked it while reading the thread....did anybody mention the price of these new Deerings?

Nice review Steve. I noticed that the bridge is seated on a darker piece of ornately shaped wood. Presumably to spread the sound to the skin. How thick is that wood? Can you guess as to what wood it is? It sure looks different than a standard banjo bridge arrangement.

Regards,
Bill

Top Bottom