Lanikai SOT-8 Anyone?

dbf909

Reaction score
I've been thinking about picking up an 8 string. I've had the opportunity to play a couple of lower end instruments locally. The full laminate mahogany models that I've played have been less than inspiring. They play well enough (at least those that are setup nicely) but just don't do it for me tonewise. They just sound dead to me - especially when compared to most solid wood instruments (at least solid tops).

I've played a solid Acacia Kala and it was very nice but just a bit over my price target at $450. I'm looking for something closer to $300. I've stayed away from Cedar and Spruce topped Ukes because they are traditionally guitar-woods and are generally brighter than Mahogany and Koa but for the 8-string, I would imagine that a Spruce top would be great - really enhancing the jangly chorusy sound.

The Lanikai O-8 seems to get some love but alas is discontinued and not really available. MIM has a few so that is an option...

So I'm looking for some first-hand experience with this model. There are 0 reviews on line - even Amazon has nothing. They are priced in my range and have the features I'm looking for (maybe a bit too much bling but I can deal with that). The shape of the body is a bit larger which theoretically would further increase the volume generated by the solid spruce top.

So does anyone own one of these? What do you think about it?

Have no experience with that model. Have an Oscar Schmidt OU28T which is a available at half the $300 budget. Have tuned mine cCgGDDAA and love it. It became my go-to tenor, causing me to make it my only tenor.. A sound sample is at ttps://soundcloud.com/steveztv/oscar-schmidt-ou28t-heart-of

Am not pushing the Oscar Schmidt over the Lanikai. Both will probably require set-up work to feel comfortable, as the 8-string action (to me anyway) needs to be low in order to cleanly fret that many strings simultaneously over that wide a fretboard. It took me some time and experimentation to really get the OS low (nut and saddle adjustment) enough to cleanly fret without buzzing any string. Since most mass production manufacturers' factory set-up is on the high side, it is reasonable to expect to need some post-sale work to get the instrument at a musician-centric standard.

Last edited:
Only choice in my opinion and it's in your price range ($294 at Uke Republic) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhEotOwF7V8 All solid mahogany with a solid spruce top.

I played one at TBUG in November and the tone and chime for this price range is amazing. Sounds better than some 8 strings I've heard costing 2-3 times as much.

If you go with the Lanikai, get the one with the spruce top.

Last edited:
I don't have that model, but I have an older Lanikai LU-8. I also had a Howlett and a Kamaka 8, and sold both as I liked the Lanikai almost as much and I only paid about $60 for it [had a popped bridge] If it was going to be my main player, I'd probably get a nicer one, but for the times I need an 8, it is fine. It is a laminate, but it has a very thin top. there is a blem from Butler on ebay now for $129. that one is plain, mine has different binding and is gloss, so it is a different instrument, but I am still very happy with mine.

Not sure the model number, but I reviewed mine a few years back...

http://vintageukemusic.com/ukuleles/lanikai.htm

I just got the Kala 8 yesterday. Biggest difference: no electronics. But nice sound... now I have to find a source of strings.

I have a Lanikai O-8E and SOT-8EK. I'm pretty sure I've written about them both on UU. I like the sound of the O-8E much better. I like the shape, too, with the wider lower bout. There are extenuating circumstances which affect the sound of the SOT-8EK with make it a bit of an apples-and-oranges comparison: The SOT-8EK came with the 2 G strings reversed, which changes to overall sound, and I've been playing the O-8E for about 8 years, so the sound has opened up nicely. Also, the SOT-8EK was a Butler Music blemish buy, and it turns out it also has some neck issues that can't be fixed, so the action is a little higher, making it a little harder to do barre chords.

Here's a video of me with the SOT-8EK:

- FiL

Thanks Fil,

That's what I was looking for - someone who owns or has played a SOT-8. I was able to find a bit of information on the O-8 here (and elsewhere) but for some reason, I can't find anything on the SOT-8. Searches here on UU return nothing...

The only O-8 that I can find that are available for sale is from MIM - out of stock everywhere else. The only thing holding me back from buying one of them is that they do not have built-in pickup/preamp and cutaway and no comparative information or experience on the new/current model. I'd love to get some more - do you have any links to earlier postings on the SOT-8?

PhiUSAFRet,

I own a couple of Ohana instruments and am very happy with them. The TK-70-8 is definitely a decent alternative - one to consider after I get some info/experience on the Lanikai.

Also, it appears that there are lots of SOT-8s available for purchase. I can't find the Ohana anywhere. As I said, MIM has a few of the O-8s.

Just from an availability standpoint, the SOT-8 seems to be a good choice - there just doesn't seem to be any documented experience with it. Maybe it's still too new...

Patience is not one of my stronger virtues... ;-)

I will likely own two and maybe all three before it is over.

I'm probably going to get an O-8 now and then the Ohana when they become available. I have a TK-35-10 Tiple and a BK-35G Baritone and they are great instruments. Possibly by then there will be a SOT-8 somewhere local that I can play...

I went ahead and ordered a Lanikai O-8 from MIM. It should arrive on Saturday. We'll see how it goes, I still may get the Ohana when they become available...

I'm probably going to get an O-8 now and then the Ohana when they become available. I have a TK-35-10 Tiple and a BK-35G Baritone and they are great instruments. Possibly by then there will be a SOT-8 somewhere local that I can play...

Did you get the O-8? Please post when you get it and let us know what you think! I got the Luna 8 string - FUN!! And I'm with you, will probably end up with an Ohana down the line too!

I have a Lanakai LU-8 and it is the most beautiful instrument I have ever played. It sounds gorgeous and the combination of a high and low G is very nice. Be ready for sore fingers as double strings hurt after a while but I bought Gorilla Tips and now can play it for hours.

I did receive the O-8. Mim set it up to perfection - it plays fantastic and sounds great as well. No problem with the fingers - it is actually far easier on the fingertips than an acoustic guitar with Med strings (I've played guitar for 40 years).

I'm enjoying it immensely. It was the correct choice for this stage of my Uke journey...

Lanikai SOT-8

I own the SOT-8. Bought it used on E-bay 2 years ago for $150. Beautifully built and sounding uke.

Top Bottom