Season 163 : April Fools, Tricksters and Twisted Tunes

This is my bit of tommy-foolery. Some finely tempered Dan-Moi and garageband loops
all held together with the glue of Gimp photo manipulation and a bit of Ken Burns zooming.
I must have been out of my mind even to attempt this song

Fool on the hill

Raised Catholic. Can You Tell? This is a party piece most often told at weddings, funerals, christenings and family gatherings. I learned the story fro Joe Heaney

My foolish song...

is one the kids love and might even teach them about vowel sounds.

Distorting the F O R C E by going over to the 6 string darkside.
Tommy made me do it.

i have realised, thanks to the interweb and google and wotnot, that more than one person has written a song called ship of fools

in fact something like eight and a half billion people have written a song called ship of fools

and i am not one to exaggerate, as you know

anyway whatever the actual precise statistics, i felt i had to do another

this one was written for sarah brightman

April Fool!

I love this theme...here's a song about a fool who has had enough and just isn't going to take it anymore, complete with sexual innuendo and a few glaring flubs on my part.A few weeks away from the uke do not improve one's aptitude, I have found.
"Dear Madam Barnum" by XTC
https://youtu.be/zpEnrSclfBw

A Fool was visiting a yard sale and picked up a hand mirror. "Sure and Begorra" he says, "It's a picture of me Sainted Father". So he takes it home and puts it in the top drawer of his dresser. Not long after his wife is putting away the laundry. She picks it up and says: " So this is the auld harridan he's been carrying on with, on the sly". She rushes to the local priest to report this infidelity. The Padre picks up the mirror and looks at it. "Now, now, Bridget, simmer down. Tis only the picture of the old priest who had the parrish before me"!

Harry122 (R)Andy the Handy Man, Alright Randy. This is a good one. Our British friends tend to copy rather than emulate George. It is good to see an Amis emulate while still getting the Formby flavor through. Nice solo.

BirdsEyeView Ship of Fools, Anything a person who never shows their face does definitely falls under the trickster class BEV. This is very nice.

Jazzbanjorex Still You Turn Me On, Good choice Rex. Haven't heard this one for a long time. I think I first heard it when I was sixteen. Mark Moss, the Editor of Sing Out drove to Kutztown College with a carload of us for a Yes Concert. I liked the tremolo. It is twisted enough for me. I'd have to play it to be sure if it is technically.

weegingayin Fool on the Hill, So that's how Robert Harper did it. I wondered about this. This is very well done indeed weeginga.

cua94 Apples and Bananas, Nice Job Liz. I have always liked this song. It's an easy one for the kids to learn too!

weegingayin Going Down Slow, Very Tricksey Rob. Well I have no problem with the Thornton Rule. I like all kinds of music. Nice job. I almost never do the blues in open tunings, Except on the Banjo, :p Sam's version was tasty too! I MADE YOU DO IT?

AlanDP The Fatal Glass of Beer, A twisted tune! WC Fields wrote this one. The Zither played in one key and WC sang it, modulating the key of the song in each verse, for comic effect! Good job uncovering this one Alan.

pabrizzer Happy Go Lucky Me, Lovely cover of this Formby Classic, Brian.

BirdsEyeView Ship of Fools,for S.Brightman, You did a good job on this. As you indicate there is no copywright on a song title. Who would have thought there were so many different versions? Are you going to cover them all this week?

peewee Dear Madame Barnum, An Xtc Song by Andy Partridge, 1965. Nice cover peewee. Has that classic bubble gum flavor of the era.

Popster999 As A Porcupine Pines For Its Pork, Thats How I Pine for You, Billy Jones and Ernest Hare, 1925. Great Novelty song from the Twentys Bill. How/where did you unearth this one from?

Popster999 Burbing Bubbles, Great one Bill. A parody of a Don Ho song, Tiny Bubbles.

Maybe the thing I love most about Seasons is something that happened again this week. A theme brings up an idea for a song, to which I immediately respond "No way I could do that one!" that applies in spades to this week. I mean, what sort of idiot would even attempt a Tina Turner classic.

I guess this sort of idiot. I think this was the first hit for her with Ike. I'm on the road this week, so I didn't really have time or energy to change the gender specific lyrics, but what the hey.

I hope this is not a total desecration of the brilliance of she, Tina.

Sorry about the delay with getting prizes out from my season. I got ill for a couple weeks. All good now and looking forward to hopefully getting a good take on a Formby song. If my arm doesn't permit it to happen I have an ugly early take from a few months ago to share. *cringe*

Maybe the thing I love most about Seasons is something that happened again this week. A theme brings up an idea for a song, to which I immediately respond "No way I could do that one!" that applies in spades to this week. I mean, what sort of idiot would even attempt a Tina Turner classic.

I guess this sort of idiot. I think this was the first hit for her with Ike. I'm on the road this week, so I didn't really have time or energy to change the gender specific lyrics, but what the hey.

I hope this is not a total desecration of the brilliance of she, Tina.

Haven't listed to the song yet but that thumbnail is CLASSIC!

Sorry about the delay with getting prizes out from my season. I got ill for a couple weeks. All good now and looking forward to hopefully getting a good take on a Formby song. If my arm doesn't permit it to happen I have an ugly early take from a few months ago to share. *cringe*

Hey Kelly!!! Definitely excited when I seen your name pop up!!! Hope all is well.

yeah just a wicked cold that threw my back out worse than it normally is. On the mend. My arm doesn't feel any better than it did a month ago so it might just be as good as it is going to get. I will give it some practice this week and hope for the best.

Seeing a title with fool and love in it made me think of this song: this is my interpretation of a song about a special kind of fools, Joe Jackson - Fools in Love.

yeah just a wicked cold that threw my back out worse than it normally is. On the mend. My arm doesn't feel any better than it did a month ago so it might just be as good as it is going to get. I will give it some practice this week and hope for the best.

Good to hear from you! Good luck with getting out the Formby. I'm in a similar situation this week in that regard.

OK Guys I'm trying to figure a budget out for S.T.R.U.M. on July 18, 2015 at Hackett's Park in Easton, Pa. Please mark your calendars.

Top Bottom