Help with changing to nylon strings

bobinde

Reaction score
I was originally posting this on Uke Talk, but since the problem is with my guitars, I decided to come over here.

Anyhow, the problem is that the arthritis in my left hand, especially the wrist and forefinger is causing me to have increasing difficulty fretting my guitars (Taylor GS Mini and an old Yamaha) and I am wondering about converting one or both to nylon strings. I am currently using Elixir lights on both guitars.

Also, what are my options on purchasing a nylon string guitar that is NOT a classic guitar. And I'm limited as to how much I can spend as I am retired and living on my Social Security check.

As I said up in Uke Talk, any and all feedback and suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

bobinleipsic

You should be able to use nylon strings on your current guitars. You will probably need to recut the nut (or more simply, get a new nut made) to account for the thicker nylon strings. Assuming you have bridge pins, you can tie a good strong knot in the end of the string to keep it in place (or more reliably, tie a small bead to the end of the string).

Steel string guitars are usually more heavily braced to account for the increased string tension. Nylon strings may have some difficulty driving the top, but you'll never really know until you try. For the price of a pack of nylon strings, you can give it a go and see if you like it.

Normally, I would suggest purchasing a guitar built for nylon strings, but if cost is a primary driver, adding nylon strings to your current guitars, with a bit of modification, ought to work. You may find the string spacing a bit tight on a narrow steel-string neck, but, again, the cost of giving it a try is pretty low.

Went through the same issues a while back and switched to tenor guitar and tenor banjo. Found I could handle the four strings more comfortably than the six string, and still had the sound.

Tried putting nylon strings on my six-string and tenor guitar. Was not satisfied at all. The bracing of my steel-string guitars and other build factors were fine for steel strings, but nylon just could not drive the instruments to anything close to decent sound. The volume was way down and they had a "rubbery" sound as well. Tried a couple types of nylon, but to no avail. Classical guitars are indeed built differently to respond to the nylon, and while not wanted, thay may be the only option to have a more responsive six-string.

A steel-string Blueridge tenor guitar (which is really good) runs around $500 (give or take). There are sound samples on youtube. I have mine tuned CGDA for a little deeper spund than what one gets with GDAE. Either tuning is normal on a TG.

Another option is a baritone uke tuned in CGDA or any other guitar-centric tuning. I took a baritone use, strung it CGDA, and it sounds pretty decent compared to the steel string Blueridge.

Have no experience with guitarleles (or whatever one calls these hybrids). They are nylon string. Others on this forum with experience with them may add their comments.

I was originally posting this on Uke Talk, but since the problem is with my guitars, I decided to come over here.

Anyhow, the problem is that the arthritis in my left hand, especially the wrist and forefinger is causing me to have increasing difficulty fretting my guitars (Taylor GS Mini and an old Yamaha) and I am wondering about converting one or both to nylon strings. I am currently using Elixir lights on both guitars.

Also, what are my options on purchasing a nylon string guitar that is NOT a classic guitar. And I'm limited as to how much I can spend as I am retired and living on my Social Security check.

As I said up in Uke Talk, any and all feedback and suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

bobinleipsic

If budget permits, one of these may work:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e=&network=g&gclid=COHGmIjMjMUCFe_m7AodUBIApg

Maybe you should look into some low tension strings. Silk & Steel strings are made by various companies, and they are lower in tension. It's a more mellow sound as well, so closer to nylon.

I would give it a go with the D'Addario "Folk Nylon" strings. They have ball ends and were basically designed for this application. Should run you around seven or eight bucks.

I bought a Yamaha FG_Junior (JR1) specifically as a lightweight, slightly undersize guitar to fit nylon strings on ... and it works beautifully. All the ease of playing the radiused narrower neck designed for steel strings with the mellowness and low tension of the nylon strings ... and there's room on my lap for the cat, so we're both happy :)

I have put nylon strings on a few steel string acoustics. I used to have a Epi acoustic/electric that just sang with them on it. Sounded crappy with steel strings. But before you go to nylon try a set of Martin FX silk and phosphor strings. That is what all of my acoustics are now strung with. Including my precious Harmony acoustic I play slide on. I have broken every finger on both hands, boxed and was in martial arts, been a mechanic for over 40 years, and can barely use my hands at times. But with these strings I can play as long as I feel like and can make bar chords I haven't made in years. I can even make 1 1/2 step bends that used to kill me to even try. I'm a lefty who plays righty but just today I was thinking about trying to go lefty because I am having fits with my right thumb when I play fingerstyle.

Thanks for all the replies so far! I've tried silk and steel in the past, just didn't seem to have much of anything for sound on my guitars at that time. I also tried a set on my Yamaha, but they didn't last long - lost their good sound in a few weeks. I don't know why . . .

I've decided to convert my old Yamaha to nylon strings, it has a very thin solid top and it was free . . . more or less . . . I'll keep yo all updated

Mahalo!

bobinde

I've decided to convert my old Yamaha to nylon strings, it has a very thin solid top and it was free . . . more or less . . . I'll keep yo all updated
Well, you have nothing to lose by trying it. :)

I'd suggest going with the highest tension nylon strings you can find. They'll give a little more "oomph" than low tension nylons.

I prefer fluorcarbons over nylons, not sure of the tension difference, though, but I do like the feel of them under my fingers better. They just seem to be more fluid and easier to depress.

Even if the volume is lower, if it makes playing easier for you, I'd say that's a decent trade-off. How much volume do you really need when you're practicing at home?

Follow-up. . .

I just (finally?) put a set of Martin high tension strings on my Yamaha and was surprised how nice it sounded. Now it doesn't have the sustain the steel strings had, but that's an artifact of the nylon strings. Volume is a bit less, same issue. Fretting and bar cords . . . what a difference from my standpoint! I can practically do everything I used to do a few years ago, but can't on a steel string guitar anymore, so I'm going to continue with the Yamaha for a while.

Last night, at a jam, one of the fellows looked it over - he's a true Guitar Genius and suggested I aim the nut just a bit as there is a little buzz there. Other than that, he was quite pleased about the result. He suggested that the positive result was the very thin and lightly braced top.

Anyhow, thanks to all for your input and suggestions! When I an afford one, I will probably pick up a mid-range fusion guitar.

Mahalo to all!

bobinde

Top Bottom