Cedar baritone decision - Kala vs Mainland

13down

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has played both the Kala cedar-top baritone (acacia back & sides) and the Mainland cedar-top baritone (rosewood back & sides).

I'm curious to hear anyone's general thoughts and impressions, but I also have one particular questions

Which, if any, sounds more "guitar-like?" I'm looking for a more guitar-like baritone, as I currently have a uke of every size as well as a mahogany baritone that, to my ears, sounds as distinctly "un-guitar" as a baritone uke can.

I haven't played the Mainland, so I can't offer a comparison, but I'm very satisfied with the cedar top Kala baritone. Before buying, I tried a cedar top with wrapped strings and baritone tuning. It sounded very guitar like; too much so for my tastes. I put Southcoast GCEA strings on the one I bought and found them to my liking. Deep and rich while at the same time more ukulele like. Works well for jazz and blues.

I haven't ever seen the Mainland, let alone played one. I did get a chance to play the Kala in a local shop and it is wonderful, so much so that I seriously thought about buying it even though I almost never play the baritone. It's a great deal, very nice.

I've never played the baritones of either brand. But I have tenors from both. The Mainland is a much better built and better sounding instrument. Mainland playability is also superior.

Top Bottom