Finding the right Tenor

isaactlr

Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding the right tenor for me just because of the sheer volume of options out there. While I understand tastes are subjective, there doesn't seem to be much concrete information out there.

Right now I have a Cordoba concert uke and I'm not surprisingly a fan of the low G sounds on it at the moment, so I'm looking for a tenor in $250-400 range. I'd like the instrument to sound as full as possible because I like to play a more classical or bluesy style and I'll be placing wound 3rd and 4th stings on it.

I'd love to find one with a cedar top, but it doesn't look like there's much out there withing my price range. Where I live, cedar trees are the only things you'll see, so it would be cool to have. I would however like to stay away from koa if at all possible. Slotheads appeal to me purely out of looks, but I'm open to alternatives.

Some of the ones that have sparked my interest so far:

Pono MT All Mahogany
KALA Cedar/Acadia
Cordoba 22t Spruce/Rosewood
Cordoba 25tk All Acadia
Cordoba 32t Spruce/Rosewood
Cordoba 30t All Mahogany

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it!

Last edited:
I'm having trouble finding the right tenor for me just because of the sheer volume of options out there. While I understand tastes are subjective, there doesn't seem to be much concrete information out there.

Right now I have a Cordoba concert uke and I'm not surprisingly a fan of the low G sounds on it at the moment, so I'm looking for a tenor in $250-400 range. I'd like the instrument to sound as full as possible because I like to play a more classical or bluesy style and I'll be placing wound 3rd and 4th stings on it.

I'd love to find one with a cedar top, but it doesn't look like there's much out there withing my price range. Where I live, cedar trees are the only things you'll see, so it would be cool to have. I would however like to stay away from koa if at all possible. Slotheads appeal to me purely out of looks, but I'm open to alternatives.

Pono MT All Mahogany
KALA Cedar/Acadia
Cordoba 25tk All Acadia
Cordoba 30t All Mahogany

Personally from your list I'd choose the Pono for myself. I like their build quality and deeper tones. Not sure if that's the best choice for you since you're looking for re-entrant tuning. You should also note that I don't own any of those ukes and I'm basing my opinion off of hanging out in uke stores and trying other's ukes.

Pono MT All Mahogany
KALA Cedar/Acadia
Cordoba 25tk All Acadia
Cordoba 30t All Mahogany

How about this Pono with a cedar top?

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/pono/pono-mtd-2-cedar-top-mahogany-tenor-deluxe.html

And here is Ohana's most popular cedar top model that may be closer to your budget:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Ohana-T...-Rosewood-Setup-Ukulele-Uke-191-/181658684289

http://www.ohana-music.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29821

Last edited:
Personally from your list I'd choose the Pono for myself. I like their build quality and deeper tones. Not sure if that's the best choice for you since you're looking for re-entrant tuning. You should also note that I don't own any of those ukes and I'm basing my opinion off of hanging out in uke stores and trying other's ukes.

I do appreciate that opinion since the music stores around where I live don't have ukuleles and I can't go around testing each one out myself. As well, I'm not planning on going for re-entrant tuning. I personally prefer the sound of a low G over the classic uke flavor.

Thank you for the suggestions. The Pono is absolutely beautiful, but unfortunately a little steep for me at the moment. As for the Ohana, it's peaked my interest quite a bit. I'll have to look into that one first, but right off the bat a problem might be finding a retailer. I live in Canada and Majority of these online sites selling it don't offer international shipping.

I've seen those come up when I was initially looking as well. Where would be a good place to look for them online? Keep in mind I have to ship to Canada

Thank you for the suggestions. The Pono is absolutely beautiful, but unfortunately a little steep for me at the moment. As for the Ohana, it's peaked my interest quite a bit. I'll have to look into that one first, but right off the bat a problem might be finding a retailer. I live in Canada and Majority of these online sites selling it don't offer international shipping.

Great! Ohana is one of my favorite brands. You really should look into that Ohana model, especially if it's from Mim's Ukes. Mim is KNOWN on the forum because she's one of the BEST online dealers because she sets up ALL of the instruments she sells and if you look at the shipping information, it says that she ships Worldwide. Her customer service is also one of the best. Go for it!

Last edited:
In your price range i'd keep a hold of my cash and consult the marketplace often. There are some amazing deals that come up from time to time that are at the top end of your price. If you are determined to get something new, i like the gretch 9120 for only $129 all set up and ready to go it at HMS http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/size/tenor/gretsch-mahogany-tenor-g9120.html

Normally I'd agree to buy pre-owned, but there's something personal about an instrument to me that I wouldn't be able to buy something used. Who knows though... maybe there'll a deal that'l come up and change my mind.

Definitely take a look at a mainland red cedar tenor. Right in your price range.

In your price range i'd keep a hold of my cash and consult the marketplace often. There are some amazing deals that come up from time to time that are at the top end of your price. If you are determined to get something new, i like the gretch 9120 for only $129 all set up and ready to go it at HMS http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/size/tenor/gretsch-mahogany-tenor-g9120.html

While we're on that topic, what would be the real objective going up a bit in value if I were to buy pre-owned. I mean, I've been playing this $100 uke for the longest time, but do they really get that much better once you get past $300?

Great! Ohana is one of my favorite brands. You really should look into that Ohana model, especially if it's from Mim's Ukes. Mim is KNOWN on the forum because she's one of the BEST online dealers because she sets up ALL of the instruments she sells and if you look at the shipping information, it says that she ships Worldwide. Her customer service is also one of the best. Go for it!

The cuts of cedar Ohana uses for the TK-50 just reminds me of home. If I do end up going for that one, I'll definitely support Mim on the purchase. Thank you!

That one is beautiful as well. Where would you recommend me finding one?

You can get it from Uke Republic which is also one of the BEST online dealers and they ship worldwide as well:

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/mainland-red-cedar-tenor

Here's a video demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95r6fxMmRqk

You can also buy directly:

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/pr...50B4.m1plqscsfapp04?productId=13&categoryId=3

You can't go wrong buying from either dealer, I would choose who has a lower shipping rate since you're in Canada.

Last edited:

KALA Cedar/Acacia

Just another recommendation, I would choose this Ohana model from Mim over the KALA Cedar/Acacia:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Ohana-T...lame-Mahogany-Setup-Ukulele-221-/171688636099

Yes, indeed they can. The tops can be more finely thinned and tuned, the bracing can be lighter while still being sufficiently strong or placed in an arrangement that permits more resonance, more select cuts of wood are used, more care is taken in the construction, you can get a finer finish, etc. Experienced labor costs; it's not just about glitz and cachet.

I'm eying a Pono Pro Classic or a Kanile'a for my next step up. That said, I've got a Kala cedar top and, for the price, am astounded by the looks and sound. I imagine the Mainland slothead cedar is just as nice, if not better in build (my Mainland mahogany concert is a honey), though for snazz, Kala beats the lot in its price range. I haven't played an Ohana, but I doubt Mim would have switched largely to Ohanas in this range without reason, so I'd have no qualms about getting an Ohana, either.

If my budget had been a bit higher at the time, I'd have gone for a Pono—maybe I should have held out for a used Pono, but the Kala called like a siren (particularly after I missed getting their spruce/lacewood model by a day, and I don't think Mainland had come out with a cedar slothead yet)

I believe the Mainland slotheads come in all mahogany only, no cedar.

Look up everyone on UU who praise the Kala tenor solid cedar top, acacia koa body. I got the KAATP-CTG-CE for about $370, which Mim recommended to me. It has lots of projection and sustain, and it looks great too.

Kala Cedar.jpg

Pono MT All Mahogany
KALA Cedar/Acadia
Cordoba 25tk All Acadia
Cordoba 30t All Mahogany

I believe you would be happy with Pono MT. I own MTD version which is in gloss finish. Outstanding uke. I believe it's +- same price as Ohana with craftsmenship a few levels higher (or at least from my experience).

Top Bottom