Do you buy, with selling in mind?

Rllink

Reaction score
Is resale value a consideration when you buy a ukulele? Would you not put a strap button on a uke, because you think that it might lower the resale value? I'm just throwing that one out there, but I'm sure there are other value lowering things you can do with a uke. Just playing it could lower the value I guess. I think that is OK, especially if you are a big UAS person, I mean, the faster you can unload one, the faster you can buy another, but for me, that is not something that I consider. So I'm just asking,

Is resale value a consideration when you buy a ukulele? Would you not put a strap button on a uke, because you think that it might lower the resale value?

You might have seen my post elsewhere addressing this, I'm guessing? I've sold a half-dozen ukes with strap buttons, and actually got more than I originally paid for 5 out of 6. The 6th was a custom, which I fully expected to take a hit on when I re-sold it.

As for the first question - I buy with the here and now in mind, not resale value - although I am conscious of price when I buy. I'd never pay a crazy high price just because something is rare or otherwise in demand. I'm not a collector, so when I buy a uke, it's because I intend to play it. Sometimes they turn out to be keepers; other times, the fit just isn't right. If I do lose money in reselling, I just consider it a rental fee for the months I got to test-drive the uke :)

There are times when I keep resale in mind. Say you are trying out a size or style of ukulele that you are unsure you will love. Picking a builder that is in demand (or buying something used instead of new) may help you recoup most/all of your money if you decide that uke isn't for you.

Overall though, I don't stress it too much.

When I bought my Mya moe, yes, it was purchased as an already made available instrument which they do occasionally, I was on the wait list, and figured it would be a nice chance to check out the mya moe sound, but possibly to resell to fund my actual custom build slot. My Myrtle has worked out so well, Gordon's customer service is exactly how people describe it, and previous attempts to sell have been foiled, so it appears there is a sign to just hold on to her.

For my stansell, no, I did not consider resale value. It's a lesser well known uke, but I wanted the highest quality for value, combined with an excellent builder/client relationship, with the goal of building my ability through a quality instrument and builder. Same for my covered bridge.

You might have seen my post elsewhere addressing this, I'm guessing? I've sold a half-dozen ukes with strap buttons, and actually got more than I originally paid for 5 out of 6. The 6th was a custom, which I fully expected to take a hit on when I re-sold it.

As for the first question - I buy with the here and now in mind, not resale value - although I am conscious of price when I buy. I'd never pay a crazy high price just because something is rare or otherwise in demand. I'm not a collector, so when I buy a uke, it's because I intend to play it. Sometimes they turn out to be keepers; other times, the fit just isn't right. If I do lose money in reselling, I just consider it a rental fee for the months I got to test-drive the uke :)
Yes, that post got me thinking about it, but I've heard mentions of resale value before, and not just in regards to strap buttons, so I just thought that I would ask.

I always buy with the thought that I'll be playing the uke and not that I am going to flip it. i do consider resale to some extent because I know some ukes will be easier to resell than others. But If you buy a good quality uke and keep it in good condition you'll resell it at something close than what you paid for it. I don't hesitate to put a strap button on it or to add a pickup. If I don't like the tuners I change them. If I had a vintage uke of collector quality I would hesitate to make changes. I've never had a strap button come up as a negative issue in a sale and a pickup usually helps with resale. I'm sure it would make a difference if I put on stickers or painted the uke or something like that.

Yes, that post got me thinking about it, but I've heard mentions of resale value before, and not just in regards to strap buttons, so I just thought that I would ask.

It's a great topic and I'll be curious to see what people say. I'll add one thing to my previous comment: based on past experience, the hardest uke for me to re-home was a custom. Between that and a few other things I learned going through the custom process, I highly doubt that I will ever consider a custom again, and that is in part because of the financial loss if it doesn't prove to be "the one." And it makes sense - after all, a custom is built to one's individual taste, which is not likely to be in complete sync with anybody else's.

Funny this should come up today. I was playing my 'best' uke, my Collings tenor, and I noticed there were strum marks on it from my playing. After a moment's pause, where I regretted the loss of resale value, I moved on, since I plan to keep this one forever.

Oh, and I bought it used and got a pretty good deal, so I should be able to get much of it back in any case.

The resale does to play in battling my UAS when I think that having a good uke is like having money in the bank, but that's just the UAS talking.

So far my UAS was driven to 'buy for keeps', and no regrets so far.

I've not yet sold or re-homed any ukes, and truly I have more ukes than I can reasonably play, so recently I'm trying to figure out if these ukes that I've made custom modifications to, will in fact have any real resale value at all, or if I even want to sell them.

Many 'experiements', both in the purchase, as well as 'modifications' (which go beyond tuner, pickup, strap button).

My UAS targets after 2yrs now are a bit more focused (and more $$$), i.e., Blackbird Tenor, Kamaka Tenor, etc, and I'm trying to figure out if I should let go of the not-often-played UAS-fed purchases to recoup some funds, in order to help reduce the overall cost up to the 'next level'...

By my intention with each purchase was very 'in the moment' and thinking 'forever'...but if there's one thing I've learned during this journey, is that your needs, desires and intentions will change over time, in no small parts due to a combination of learning more, and becoming a better player :), (I hope) LOL.

Great thread, great question.
I usually just try to buy from a dealer who has a good return policy. In which case, I'm extra careful with the instrument while deciding on whether or not to keep it. I've sent back plenty over the years.
If I go past the trial period and can't return the instrument, I have been known to think carefully about what I do or don't do with the instrument and how that will effect re-sell value. More times than not, if I do something to an instrument, it's usually an upgrade like replacing a plastic saddle with a premium bone saddle. I usually keep the original so it can easily be reversed.
I find knowing I might end up selling an instrument does take a little of the enjoyment out of it because I'm trying to be extra careful about keeping it in mint condition.
This thread brings up a question for me...but I think it's more of a thread for the "uke talk" forum.

Of course as soon as you buy and keep a uke the value goes down immediately since it's then "used"...If you buy a used uke that you got for less than someone else is willing to pay for it, then that's a whole other thing....

Jane: the "rental fee" thing is logic I have used myself. ha.

There are times when I keep resale in mind. Say you are trying out a size or style of ukulele that you are unsure you will love.

This is the case for me as well. The Cocobo concert I got specifically to try a radiused fretboard (it doesn't hurt that they look pretty nice too!). After all the posts about if a radiused fretboard was better I wanted a lower cost uke that had one to see if I liked it. It is not a long term keeper, but now I know that while having the radius makes barring chords a little easier, I am not going to require my dream uke have one.

Same thing with my Flea. I was looking for a durable uke that I could take with me when I traveled but wasn't sure if I would like the plastic fretboard. But with all the good things people say about them I figured I shouldn't have a hard time selling it if it didn't work out. This too is not a keeper for me.

However, even knowing that I probably won't keep either, I still enjoy them and play them not really worrying about resale value. I am planning on adding strap buttons to both my tenor and baritone to make them easier to play.

Rllink asked:
Is resale value a consideration when you buy a ukulele? Would you not put a strap button on a uke, because you think that it might lower the resale value?
I never buy an instrument with re-sale in mind. I buy it because I want it. If I want it I don't anticipate getting rid of it. I will buy an "economy-priced" model to try out whether or not I'd like something ... my first ukulele was "cheap".

Once I'd established I enjoyed the ukulele as "something different" (from a guitar or banjo) I bought a few slightly more up-market instruments ... one of these has been traded back to the shop I bought it from for a different model. Not because I was dissatisfied with it but because I'd had my use from it, established that I liked it and wanted something a "bit better". The slight difference in buying and selling prices was the price I paid for the experience ... good value :) ... and I'd fitted a strap-button to it, the shop-owner didn't consider that to be an issue!

I'm in phase two of my UAS: knowing what I like based on the music I play. So I've discovered some wonderful builders I would like to continue supporting. I don't buy with resale in mind any more.

Note: phase one UAS for me was trying every size. I learned that I liked tenors best, but that it was also good for me to have one bari, one concert, and a vintage Martin soprano.

Last edited:
I never consider re-sale, when buying an ukulele. I buy the instrument I want, period. My friend coolkayaker1 is quite the opposite. He's much smarter than I.

Have always bought/traded with the thought that the arriving instrument would be a "forever keeper." Despite that, they come and they go. However, whether or not I can later resell/trade an instrument, or for what, has never influenced any acquisition.

My feeling is that if I want it, somebody else probably does, too. If not, unless it was a custom-made instrument, why did the maker make that model? Now, it may take some time to sell/trade if I find that I don't reach for the instrument any more, but the sale/trade eventually happens.

I guess I buy a uke with the thought of potentially giving it to a friend or family. With my wallet and playing ability I really can't justify anything above a Pono level. From what I've seen at that price range, if you can get 75% of original purchase price you are lucky. Then you get to deal with shipping and a possibly unhappy buyer,....... all for $200. I would rather pass it to someone I know and expose them to the world of making music.

If I were to buy a more expensive instrument, my mindset would be totally different.

Last edited:
Excellent topic.

I always buy with the thought that one day I might move it to a new home. I don't intentionally do this. I keep that thought in mind so I will always keep it in pristine condition and if/when the time comes, it will be easier to re home it.

I don't look at resale and hope to make a profit. It would be nice of course, but most of the resales I have done have given me a break even on the purchase. The value to me is what I learn from each Uke and what I like and dislike about each one. Each one gets me closer to mythical "ONE".

It also has enabled me to meet a number of people on this forum that I can now call friends. That is the most important thing to me.

Excellent topic.

I always buy with the thought that one day I might move it to a new home. I don't intentionally do this. I keep that thought in mind so I will always keep it in pristine condition and if/when the time comes, it will be easier to re home it.

I don't look at resale and hope to make a profit. It would be nice of course, but most of the resales I have done have given me a break even on the purchase. The value to me is what I learn from each Uke and what I like and dislike about each one. Each one gets me closer to mythical "ONE".

It also has enabled me to meet a number of people on this forum that I can now call friends. That is the most important thing to me.

Great answer. If resale is a factor then buying used from right here in the UU marketplace is the smart way to go. When a new instrument is sold it takes the biggest hit. I have kept all but two of the ukes I have purchased, so I have been pretty lucky in finding keepers. The two I sold were used and bought here and sold for the same price I paid.

I also had to discover for myself through actually owning and playing different ukes which size, tone, neck shape etc. etc worked best for me. I hope that every uke I buy will be great and a keeper, but if not the experience was worth the price, any money lost is just rent or tuition in Uke University

I don't have a choice like most when purchasing. Mostly purchase blindly abroad/overseas because of lack of ukulele music shop for me to try out first. But I do my research the best I can first.

So to your question, 'yes', I do have 'resell' in mind if it doesn't stand up to my expectation. I also try to purchase ukes that I can get my money back if I decide to sell.

Top Bottom