Where's the most interesting place you've played?

Ukulele Christmas carols at the then-newly-clothing-optional park at Market and Castro in San Francisco, although I guess it wasn't the place that was interesting as much as it was the audience.

(Erm... I opted FOR clothing. And lots of it, since it was downright freezing to a Southern Californian!)

I don't know if it is interesting, but it is remote... Shipwreck Beach on Lanai. IMG_1177.jpg

I played at the Byron Bay Bluesfest ,,,,in a miniature fire truck my task was to raise a bit of money so I drove around the site parked up ,,,,,put a collection tin out and played a few tunes I made just under $300.00 and then just as I finished a fella by the name of Sam Cutler ,,,,ex Rolling Stones tour manager ,,asked if I had a spare cigarette for his rather young and very good looking wife ,,,well I found one pretty quick

So far, along the bank of the Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. But I have a few interesting spots coming up.

At Katz's Deli in New York City for a reunion of friends who, for some, hadn't seen each other for 50 years.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Music China (like NAMM in America) in Shanghai, October 2013. I played on many and even bought some great ukes. But best of all, I got to meet and talk with this great ukulele player and caring human being for the second time within a year.image.jpg

What an awesome thread this has become! Nowhere of amazing weirdness for me except I did get to play uke with Bruddah Stan, geetee and canoe lady on the Big Island and on Maui last year which was a real thrill for a Tasmanian hermit. Aside from that I've played a heap in hospitals and nursing homes to captive audiences, busking at markets, in the bath and always in the car at traffic lights and straight bits. Oh, and of course, the office is where I do my best work. :p

uke in loo.jpg

Only place I've ever played in front of anyone was a hall full of classical Suzuki students and their parents for a "Parents Talent" night at my 10-year old daughter's annual camp. Despite my only musical talent being I practice every day, I did okay and actually got a shocking (to me, anyway) burst of applause when I was done playing my piece (which was actually a part of my self-made daily practice routine that I had worked into a sort of song). For the next two days, I had kids (and parents!) walking up to me telling me they enjoyed my piece. I felt it quite an honor and doubled for me because I respect the musicians in that group so much.

Now I'm "the Ukulele Man", and the pressure is on for this year. Practice, practice, practice...

Very interesting. The bottoms of my feet ached as they only do when I see someone up that high.
I played for a memorial/ash dumping on a pitching funeral boat in the Gulf of Mexico once. And twice, with the guitarist (the traditional instrument) in The Dances of Universal Peace. I'm sure I'm the first uker to do that!

I brought my soprano Flea to the Galapagos and played on the cruise boat. Then went on to L'Oriente which is the Equadorian Amazon. We took a small plane from Quito, transferred to a river boat for 2 hours then a dugout for an 1 1/2... then stayed at an EcoLodge run by the local Indians. We visited an indigenous women's group and they gave us a demonstration of their traditional drumming. I played two tunes for them -- E Ku'u Morning Dew and Happy Birthday for the woman who was the tribe elder. It was a sweet experience and a real musical exchange. I like to call it my 'first international gig' !!!
Have plenty of dates available in 2015 - call me !!!!! Hahaha!

I brought my soprano Flea to the Galapagos and played on the cruise boat. Then went on to L'Oriente which is the Equadorian Amazon. We took a small plane from Quito, transferred to a river boat for 2 hours then a dugout for an 1 1/2... then stayed at an EcoLodge run by the local Indians. We visited an indigenous women's group and they gave us a demonstration of their traditional drumming. I played two tunes for them -- E Ku'u Morning Dew and Happy Birthday for the woman who was the tribe elder. It was a sweet experience and a real musical exchange. I like to call it my 'first international gig' !!!
Have plenty of dates available in 2015 - call me !!!!! Hahaha!

Now that's an amazing story. You need to hook up with this woman whose ukulele has been all around this world. Antarctica, anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/user/songintranslation

This type of thread always makes me revisit her channel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom