Ukulele help

Xxcristiixx

Reaction score
im looking for a ukulele for free that i can learn on. I can't afford one. i want to teach myself so i can teach my sons when they get older. the ukulele would be greatly loved and appreciated. It doesn't have to be fancy I'll take a broken one and try to fix it. please if you have a heart to donate one please email me for location and more information thank you
Location Paterson New Jersey

Last edited:
As a Goodwill employee, I'd also like to encourage you to check one of the stores in your area, or have a look at the ShopGoodwill web site (not sure if links are allowed here). You may be able to get one for less money than it would cost one of the nice folks here to ship one.

You have to bid on ukulele on that site, I checked.. The price keeps going up and I can't afford the bid price

I recommend throwing an ad on your local Craigslist ... on this forum you're dealing with a majority of folks who will have to ship ... which costs $. Or, stash cash for a month or two or three or four and buy a Makala or something. Good luck!

Xxcristiixx, I don't mean to sound disparaging, but your first post here was to ask for someone to give you a uke for free. You haven't introduced yourself or given us any valid reason why you can't afford to buy an inexpensive uke.

A lot of us are having trouble making ends meet these days. Unless and until you have given up every possible luxury, then you should be able to cut back somewhere and save up $50 or so to buy a uke in a month or two.

I don't eat at restaurants, or buy coffee from Starbucks. I don't go to the movies. I wear multiple layers of clothing and fingerless gloves to avoid running the heat. I study the weekly grocery ads and try to buy what I need only when it's on sale. I walk to the store when I can to save gas and wear&tear on my car. I even cut my own hair.

I have managed to afford a few ukes. To me it's all about priorities.

I do not know your circumstances, but perhaps there are some corners you could cut to save for one. Or maybe you have something you no longer need that you could sell to fund one. Have a yard sale.

Apparently some libraries loan out Ukes. You could check to see if any in your area have any loaners.
You might also try any local uke groups. Someone might have a give away.
Asking here is a problem because of shipping.

Thank you for your responses I will try to save money it will take me a long time but I will try. The area I'm in is very, let's say, ghetto. So there is not much around me. Me and my husband are struggling and the money we have to spend goes to our boys clothes, diapers, etc. we don't even have a car. This is my first time on forums so I'm sorry if I can off the wrong way. Thank you for reading

can you scrape together $79? Because that is the cheapest uke that MIM has on her website. And it's an Ohana. And you would get the benefit of a proper set-up to make sure that's good and playable.
It would ship from NC to NJ so I would assume that would get there pretty quickly:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Ohana-S...ogany-Setup-Aquilas-Ukulele-235-/171718359533
or $89 for a Ohana nice-looking soprano:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Ohana-S...y-Setup-Aquilas-Ukulele-Uke-273-/171748343953
I would highly recommend MIM as she'll do a good setup and is a member here on the UU forums.
You could also find something on Craiglist locally, but it's a crapshoot as to how well they'll be setup especially at a lower price point.

Last edited:
I suggest heading over to the New Member Introductions forums and tell us about yourself your husband and family. Tell us what made you say I want a ukulele, maybe I'll ask for one.

Sadly the internet makes anyone you want to be and Ive seen some scams run on motorcycle forums for free parts. Hell as an experiment years ago in Guildwars after getting a second account and making a female character I was able to get so many things given to me free tee hee hee.

Of course in all fairness one day 15 or so years ago when dead broke and hungry I simply asked everyone for a little change. Much to my surprise in a matter of minutes two double cheeseburgers later I was no longer hungry, not bad for a bearded fat guy. You lose nothing in asking.

So please you have my interest tell us why a ukulele in a proper introduction. Have you played any instruments before? I'm in CT myself and it seems I can get a blem Bugsgear travel ukulele (plastic no setup little maintenance) shipped for just $47.10. http://bugsgearukulele.com/cosmeticblems.aspx

Make one of us a believer Aloha is well open to interpretation.

I would like to have a ukulele because I'm a stay at home mom I have to stay home cuz my husband and cant afford daycare he has a part time job. I literally stay inside all the time. (Due to bad neighborhood). I don't have any friends. And every thing I do is for my family. When I get the time for myself I waste it on watching garbage TV and I hate it. I don't have any hobbies so I looked into ukulele. I thought maybe I can sing and play for my little boys children songs for them. To get them to know an instrument that's fun. I want them to grow up with an interest in music and not attached to TV phones all the time. Even though I want one I still want it to be for my kids. I know that there are people out there that scam but I'm definitely 100% that this not a scam. I just want to feel like I accomplished something in life, to teach myself the ukulele and pass it on to my kids. If there is anything else you would like to know. Please let me know.

Last edited:
I would be willing to Paypal 15 dollars to help with shipping costs to anyone that can help the lady out. Hope this helps.

any uke-group here in NYC/Jersey area can help?

Last edited:
I would be willing to Paypal 15 dollars to help with shipping costs to anyone that can help the lady out. Hope this helps.

Put me down for $5. I wish it could be more, but all of my discretionary funds are going towards my wife's birthday next week.

Running Total = $20

What is the cheapest Uke around ... I donate money to people all the time ... I would consider this if someone else covers the shipping cost. I live in Canada and it will cost me 22% more on exchange ...

If we can total $25 for the shipping I will uke it forward and mail you a Kala TEME3 on the condition that you do not sell it, and if you decide you don't stick with Uke, that you donate it free to someone that wants to learn. I subscribe to karma and we could all use a little help sometimes. I will include an extra set of strings and extra batteries for the built in tuner which should keep you going for a good while.

If you'd like to contribute to the shipping, message me with how much, and I'll send you my email address to paypal once we get $25 committed, then I'll message christii for an address.

If you'd like to contribute to the shipping, message me with how much, and I'll send you my email address to paypal once we get $25 committed, then I'll message christii for an address.

That's a good idea, spookelele. I'll kick in $10. (I actually have a uke I was going to volunteer, but it needs work and probably isn't worth shipping cross country.)

please send PM through UU. I don't want to post my email address where bots and phishers will find it.

Top Bottom