Playing amped? What is a good multi-use system?

JB in Alabama

Reaction score
My son and picked out a baritone Uke with a pickup last week in Hawaii and I found one also. So we have two and would like to play amplified.
I have read through past threads on the subject but have an additional question.
He is into electronic dance music and is asked to DJ at parties pretty often (13 years old) he has a keyboard that might get used also?

From previous threads, it appears that a lot of folks buy cheap to start and then have to upgrade. I would rather buy the right equipment to start. From what I have read that seems to mean Either a Yamaha THR or a Rowland ac33 and possibly a pa-50 ?
Does this make sense? A friend suggested a Pignose acoustic but I found a few who did not like the sound.
Is there a catch all system for both uses?

I use a multi channel mixer and a couple of active speakers. The mixer I mostly use for gigs is a Behringer X1222USB. It has enough channels for a couple of ukes and a couple of microphones and a USB connection to my PC. It also has stereo in/out ports for use with external cd players, keyboard etc. The whole set up is fairly robust. I've being using it regularly for about three years now without any problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PNAFGbDRaM

Last edited:
Yeah, mixer and some powered speakers will go a long way in any situation. I've got a Mackie 1220 board and two QSC K10s. Expensive stuff, but I wanted to do it right the first time. I highly recommend either.

Off-topic sort of, but it would kind of cool to work the baritone uke into electronica/EDM. Or at least it would be something different/new/unique.

Last edited:
Cool Guys!

My son has his eye on a Nexus 2000 for EDM, it is really expensive though!
He has some rocket speakers tht are powered.

I need to layout what we have then see what it takes to get where he wants to be.
More to come,

Check out the Fishman Loudbox mini!!!

Using a keyboard through the system rules out a lot of the above suggestions, due to speaker damage caused by the extra cone movement from deep bass frequencies. Brad's suggestion of the QSC K10's will handle the deep bass frequencies. I will add another compact board to that mix in the Allen & Heath ZED 10FX.

In a combo amp, the Carvin AG300 will also handle the keyboard frequencies along with a versatile onboard mixing system.

If it's in your budget, get the Schertler Jam 400. It has 6 onboard channels and will handle your situation with ease and reserve power. Ric

Top Bottom