Season 166 - Little Songs

RAB11

Reaction score

Morning all! Sorry it's so late. I let me five year-old niece talk me into going on a couple of particularly vicious rides at the fun fair yesterday and sort of collapsed in a heap when I got home. I'm getting old.

ANYWAY, in case you didn't watch my bedhead-ridden, morning croaky voice video, this week is about Jack White. As some of you may have picked up over my year here in the seasons, Jack White's my favourite musician. In a sort of indirect way, he's the reason I play uke because he resparked a passion for playing music after a very long plateau with my guitar playing.

Why Little Songs then? Because Jack is a man of many quirks and weird traditions. He does everything in threes, colour scheme is important to him, and each White Stripes album had a quirky little song with the word 'Little' in the title. Those songs are:

Little People - Off their eponymous debut
Little Bird - From their second album De Stijl
Little Room - From White Blood Cells and my intro video. If you've never done a seasons vid this is the perfect entry point
Little Acorns - From Elephant
Little Ghost - From Get Behind Me Satan, and another Little Song I've done from the seasons
Little Cream Soda - From Icky Thump, probably the most complex. Massive points if you manage to pull this off.

You can play any of the above songs, any other song by the White Stripes, The Raconteurs, the Dead Weather, or any solo Jack White songs. This includes any song he's covered and you'll be pretty sure to find something you like in his back catalogue. If you're stuck give me a shout and I'll give you a recommendation.

If you have a strange aversion to Mr White, play a song with the word 'little' in the title or write one.

There will be three prizes. One for the video I like best. One for the video your fellow seasonistas like best judging by the comments (based on content, not quantity) and one for the first person who does all six Little songs and completely rocks them.

With that in mind there's no song limit. Away you go.

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Yikes! I don't even know any Jack White songs but I guess I'm going to learn a few. Chordie and Youtube are my friends.
-Steve

Morning all! Sorry it's so late. I let me five year-old niece talk me into going on a couple of particularly vicious rides at the fun fair yesterday and sort of collapsed in a heap when I got home. I'm getting old.

No worries, I had a gig last night (playing for a ceilidh) and was knackered when I got home. I didn't even look at the anticipation thread.

Anyway, I'll have to look up Jack White but I'm sure, failing all else, I can find or even write a song with little in the title.

A note on commenting:

I'm going to be doing most of my commenting on YouTube, mainly to make it easier on me. However, at the end of each day I'm going to do a sort of round-up post of the songs from that day to give people who are only able to follow the thread and not watch each video a couple of pointers of videos they might wanna check out. No one will be excluded though. I promise.

Wim has kicked us off quite brilliantly though.

So this is where I fall apart musically...ukulele-ly...whatever the word is. Can't find the chords for any of the little songs and chordify comes back with every flat and flat minor chord known to man...

So this is where I fall apart musically...ukulele-ly...whatever the word is. Can't find the chords for any of the little songs and chordify comes back with every flat and flat minor chord known to man...

Ultimate Guitar is your friend. Give Little Ghost a try. There's a pretty straight forward chord sheet for that on there but the other 'little' songs are probably gonna need an understanding of tab though. I'd love to see you give 'Effect and Cause' a go too.

Sweet choice, RAB! I was a big White Stripes fan back in the day. This might be my favorite song by them. I love the Beatles style piano in the original. Thank you for checking out my little version.

This should be a fun week! And...I'll let you know if I get a ticket to this show. Fingers crossed.
Associated Press April 15, 2015
Rocker Jack White says he's about to take a long break from performing live but not before holding five shows in the five states where he hasn't yet performed.

The former White Stripes frontman isn't saying which states those are but speculation is widespread the performances will take place in Alaska, Idaho, the Dakotas and Wyoming.

The performances will be announced at 8 a.m. local time on the day of the show. Tickets will cost just $3, be limited to one per person and available only at the venue door starting at noon on the day of the show, according to White's website.

Last edited:
This should be a fun week! And...I'll let you know if I get a ticket to a show. Fingers crossed.
Rocker Jack White says he's about to take a long break from performing live but not before holding five shows in the five states where he hasn't yet performed.

The former White Stripes frontman isn't saying which states those are but speculation is widespread the performances will take place in Alaska, Idaho, the Dakotas and Wyoming.

The performances will be announced at 8 a.m. local time on the day of the show. Tickets will cost just $3, be limited to one per person and available only at the venue door starting at noon on the day of the show, according to White's website.

Yeah I read about that. Gutted because I was hoping one of his side bands, the Dead Weather, were gonna go on tour this year.

I'll be very jealous if you get to go to this show!

I recorded this a couple of weeks ago just for fun so feel free to not count it.

Ultimate Guitar is your friend. Give Little Ghost a try. There's a pretty straight forward chord sheet for that on there but the other 'little' songs are probably gonna need an understanding of tab though. I'd love to see you give 'Effect and Cause' a go too.

Effect and Cause it is!

OK, I found one. I'm going to pay the 99¢ or whatever to download it from iTunes so I can listen to it over and over to get it embedded in my head. That said, I'm going to do it whether someone else beats me to it or not. Just so ya know. What song is it? No, that would be too much like calling "dibs" which, I'm pretty sure is frowned upon if not out and out disallowed. So, thank you RAB, for making me leave my comfort zone and find something else.
-Steve

Yowza - look what's on my iPod

Son of a gun! I just checked my iPod and I'll be damned if I don't have about 20 White Stripes songs already on it. Wonder where the heck they came from??? Maybe this won't be quite so hard after all.

OK, I found one. I'm going to pay the 99¢ or whatever to download it from iTunes so I can listen to it over and over to get it embedded in my head. That said, I'm going to do it whether someone else beats me to it or not. Just so ya know. What song is it? No, that would be too much like calling "dibs" which, I'm pretty sure is frowned upon if not out and out disallowed. So, thank you RAB, for making me leave my comfort zone and find something else.
-Steve

Awesome, glad I could help. If the 20 on your iPod don't float your boat try YouTube!

Try transposing up or down a semitone and you might find something you can work with. Alternatively, try the transpose page at logue.net

SOTU 166 - We're Going To be Friends

Came across this sweet little song while I was looking through the White Stripe catalogue trying to find something I could play. This song just evokes so much about being somewhere around 11 years old and maybe finding your first friend of the opposite sex. It's very sweet. Plus it made me use fingers on my right hand besides my thumb.

-Steve

Last edited:
Top Bottom