Season 166 - Little Songs

SOTU - 166 Jolene

Well lookie their. White Stripes covered an all time favorite of mine. This is kind of the 'little' version of that song. Short and sweet.

Right, it's past my bedtime so that's Day 1 ( for me) done with and what a great start it's been. Wim and Rob kicked us off with some excellent covers of covers, Bonesoup brought one of my favourite songs to play and Mark showed off his awesome reworking of Seven Nation Army. Gotta thank Steve and Dave for persevering and bringing two great performances of their own.

I will say if you're struggling with the heavier stuff, he's got some great acoustic numbers and a tonne of covers of old blues numbers. If you're having trouble finding a song let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Couldn't sell this last week with a fake name (I'm so ashamed!) Maybe with the actual title since it fits this week?

Very rough take from my caravan in a caravan park in the suburb of Chelsea in Melbourne.
John the Revelator.

Recorded and uploaded from my laptop hence the (lack of) quality.

Right, it's past my bedtime so that's Day 1 ( for me) done with and what a great start it's been. Wim and Rob kicked us off with some excellent covers of covers, Bonesoup brought one of my favourite songs to play and Mark showed off his awesome reworking of Seven Nation Army. Gotta thank Steve and Dave for persevering and bringing two great performances of their own.

I will say if you're struggling with the heavier stuff, he's got some great acoustic numbers and a tonne of covers of old blues numbers. If you're having trouble finding a song let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks RAB! That's cool Apple Blossom is one of your faves too. I have a little story. Years ago I went to a Greenhornes concert (Jack Lawrence and Patrick Keeler's band before The Raconteurs). As I was leaving something caught the corner of my eye. I looked over and there, sitting at the bar, in an elegant long red dress, was Meg White. I did the biggest double-take you can imagine. Didn't go over and bother her, but I was like what?? Found out later she was dating one of the Greenhornes at the time.

They were an excellent band and used to tour with the White Stripes. That's how Jack got to know them and invited them into the Raconteurs.

Thanks RAB! That's cool Apple Blossom is one of your faves too. I have a little story. Years ago I went to a Greenhornes concert (Jack Lawrence and Patrick Keeler's band before The Raconteurs). As I was leaving something caught the corner of my eye. I looked over and there, sitting at the bar, in an elegant long red dress, was Meg White. I did the biggest double-take you can imagine. Didn't go over and bother her, but I was like what?? Found out later she was dating one of the Greenhornes at the time.

They were an excellent band and used to tour with the White Stripes. That's how Jack got to know them and invited them into the Raconteurs.

That's awesome! I'd love to see Jack Lawrence in concert, the man's a brilliant bass player. Had no idea Meg was dating one of the Greenhornes though. Apple Blossom's got a special place in my heart though. My fiance didn't really know the White Stripes before we met, while she was round my place one time I put the Under Blackpool Lights DVD on and she really liked Apple Blossom. I played it a couple times for her on my guitar and uke and then a couple months later I come home from work to find her listening to De Stijl and now she pretty much knows it word for word! She's not as keen on most of his other stuff but it's still a start!

Very rough take from my caravan in a caravan
park in the suburb of Chelsea in Melbourne.
John the Revelator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KYzBki0K3M
Recorded and uploaded from my laptop hence the (lack of) quality.

I love that song... and one of the best performances of it was by Samm Bennett
who played it on the mouthbow... now that is a simple instrument. I remember
Buffy St Marie also playing it on the Pete Seeger Show.

Yes, please! You know my style and predilections, I think, Ryan. Recommend me something.

On another note, I spent a lovely day yesterday walking a very scenic 15 miles with a group of 9 nice people ... wearing my ukulele, of course! ... from Sea Bright, New Jersey to Red Bank, New Jersey, through the towns of Rumson, Fair Haven, and ... Little Silver! So of course I started writing a song called "We Took A Little Walk Through Little Silver". (Even though most of our walk was through the mansions of well-to-do Rumson.)

No, I do not know why it's called Little Silver. No one here does. Unlike all other NJ towns, though, Little Silver has a very distinctive looking "welcome to" or "leaving Little Silver" sign at pretty much every single boundary spot - I must have passed a dozen of those signs yesterday, both driving from Red Bank to Sea Bright, and walking back the other way. The one I photographed says "Leaving Little Silver". You would think there would be a "Welcome to Red Bank" sign on the other side of it, but no ... only Little Silver does that!

Anyway, if I can figure out what else to say about our walk, I may finish that song for you ... I started it for you, after all! It will be about as un-Jack-White as it is possible to get, probably.

Here's one of the "little" songs from me. D-tuned soprano uke with a little percussion from a Logjam stompbox, an empty cheesy biscuit tin and a shakey egg.

I love that song... and one of the best performances of it was by Samm Bennett
who played it on the mouthbow... now that is a simple instrument. I remember
Buffy St Marie also playing it on the Pete Seeger Show.

Yes I liked that one.
I found this one that I really liked.

Had I been at home I would have attempted the harp and bass parts as a muti track.
I saw Buffy live in Katoomba this year - she was terrific. Nick Cave also does this one.

Last edited:
Seasons of the Ukulele 166: Grinning in your face

Jack White's Favorite Song:

Thanks to Rob for helping think to look at the Cold Mountain soundtrack. Here is a song that Jack White covered for the movie. The fiddle player is a fellow YT'er. Shhhhhh don't tell him I used his work without him knowing :/ Here is Jack Whites version.

Last edited:
For Season 166 of the Ukulele the theme is songs by the Jack White with "Little"in the title. Here's a very abbreviated ukulele cover of "Little Cream Soda" off the White Stripes Icky Thump record.

Last edited:
I smell "Seven Nation Army" in my future...

SOTU 166 - Little Songs - Little Ghost

I'll have to ask my daughter for her input on what she thinks I should try next.

After I started playing this song, I realized it was a bluegrass song in disguise.

I don't know if this is a sanctioned side project, but this is the song I did. Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi did an album called "Rome" that was a tribute to the music from the '60s spaghetti Western movies. Jack White sang three of the songs and wrote the lyrics, including this one.

I don't fingerpick with any regularity yet, and certainly not as nicely as sryoder/Steve did, so here's my strummed version of "We're Going to Be Friends". (Brings back memories of watching "Napoleon Dynamite".) I added a harmony vocal to help compensate for the boring strums. Note the obligatory red shirt.

Top Bottom