new here but not to strings

k0k0peli

Reaction score
Howdy. I've fingerpicked guitars (mostly) for a half-century. I started on mandolin some years back but only got serious with it fairly recently. My first smaller instrument was a nameless banjo-uke with tension pegs that sat neglected for a few years -- till I got a Kohala soprano 1.5 years ago. They're both a bit small for my large hands. Just a few days ago, I acquired a Kala KA-6, with the 1st and 3rd strings doubled in octaves. I have to develop new right-hand techniques with that baby!

Now I'm on the hunt for a charango, and a few cheap ukes to restring and mutilate while testing ideas. (Yeah, I like to mutilate stuff. On a certain camera forum, I was the lens-modding guru. I'm deadly with glue and a Dremel.) I'll post many questions here, I'm sure.

I've been mostly a folk-blues guitarist. Now I play surf songs on flattop mandolin, Celtic on grand-dad's banjo-mandolin, bossa nova on 5-string banjo and soprano uke, bottleneck blues on 6-string Dobro and 12-string Cümbüş, slack-key on a 12-string cuatro-menor the size of a tenor uke, jazz (badly) on electric bass, and soul on electric lap Hawaiian. Tomorrow I'll restring an acoustic 6-string guitar to Russian 'bard' tuning. I'm funny like that.

Hmmm, a Kala U-Bass Rumbler is calling me. Can I resist?

EDIT: Forgot to mention -- I'm in California, in a tiny mountain hamlet below Lake Tahoe. Not many charango resources nearby -- maybe a couple hours away in Sacramento. I guess I'll be emailing every music store in the area to ask, "Is there a charango in the house?"

Last edited:
Welcome! Yes, the Rumbler is calling you so loudly even I can hear it in St. Louis. :) Resistance is futile, surrender inevitable.

Welcome to UU!

Howdy. I've fingerpicked guitars (mostly) for a half-century. I started on mandolin some years back but only got serious with it fairly recently. My first smaller instrument was a nameless banjo-uke with tension pegs that sat neglected for a few years -- till I got a Kohala soprano 1.5 years ago. They're both a bit small for my large hands. Just a few days ago, I acquired a Kala KA-6, with the 1st and 3rd strings doubled in octaves. I have to develop new right-hand techniques with that baby!

Now I'm on the hunt for a charango, and a few cheap ukes to restring and mutilate while testing ideas. (Yeah, I like to mutilate stuff. On a certain camera forum, I was the lens-modding guru. I'm deadly with glue and a Dremel.) I'll post many questions here, I'm sure.

I've been mostly a folk-blues guitarist. Now I play surf songs on flattop mandolin, Celtic on grand-dad's banjo-mandolin, bossa nova on 5-string banjo and soprano uke, bottleneck blues on 6-string Dobro and 12-string Cümbüş, slack-key on a 12-string cuatro-menor the size of a tenor uke, jazz (badly) on electric bass, and soul on electric lap Hawaiian. Tomorrow I'll restring an acoustic 6-string guitar to Russian 'bard' tuning. I'm funny like that.

Hmmm, a Kala U-Bass Rumbler is calling me. Can I resist?

EDIT: Forgot to mention -- I'm in California, in a tiny mountain hamlet below Lake Tahoe. Not many charango resources nearby -- maybe a couple hours away in Sacramento. I guess I'll be emailing every music store in the area to ask, "Is there a charango in the house?"

Welcome to UU!

I recommend The Strum Shop in Roseville for your Uke needs. Stu will treat you right!

Top Bottom