Using Condenser Microphone for group gig

brUKEman

Reaction score
Our group of 8 ukuleles plays nursing home/senior center gigs.
We have 2 Kustom PA50 speakers and it really gets confusing when trying to use a couple of mics and mic some instruments.
Would a single Condenser mic work for us. If we set up in a semi-circle and put the mic in the center. Would there be too much background noise in a hospital recreation room setting? If so, which condenser mic would you recommend. I figure the 1 or 2 PA50's and 1 condenser mic would be an easy and quick setup for each gig.
What are your thoughts?

If you want to use one mic, a large diaphragm condenser mic that picks up in cardioid pattern would be best. For noise, some mics have attenuation pads and low cut filters. I don't know anything about the PA50s but phantom power is needed for the mic

Last edited:
I've done it before with a mandolin, violin and acoustic guitar, but prefer additional mics for more than three instruments. It should be possible, but mic placement will be very crucial. The problem is that the more instruments you have, the further you end up away from them to get the proper balance.

If you could use two in an X-Y configuration it would probably be a better solution. I'd pan one almost full to each side to get appropriate stereo imaging. You can pick up a pair of MXL small diaphragm condensers for around a hundred bucks.

Make sure that you research whatever condenser mic you are looking to buy, it appears that the PA50 has 15V phantom power. Some condenser mics will only operate at 48V and some will operate in a range of voltages. Don't buy one that requires 48V.

Sorry I don't have a recommendation for any particular condenser mic. We own 2, one of them is no longer made and the other is a $20 Kharma mic that sounds good for a $20 mic but isn't great.

I would say you would need at least two microphones with 8 people playing. You could always try one and if that does not cut it add another. A large diaphragm condenser would work well. You cannot go wrong with the Rode NT1A mics or any of the Rode models such as NT1, NT2 or NT2A. They have a very open sound with a crisp high end. There is reason the Rode's are so popular. They sound really good without breaking the bank.
If your PA does not have phantom power ART makes a great battery powered (two 9 volt) unit that is a cool thing to have in case you encounter a PA that does not have the phantom power you need. The ART unit is around $75.
The only problem with large diaphragm mics is they really only work well in a fairly quiet environment. If you are in a noisy room it will pick up and amplify the audience noise! They also are very sensitive to wind noise outdoors. I recommended small to medium diaphragm condenser mics in less than ideal situations. It may sound like overkill but have a choice of mics is not a bad idea if you want to sound professional. Saving money and buying cheap microphones is a bad way to go as no matter have good your PA is you will never get good sound.

Last edited:
The PA50 does indeed have 15V phantom power, but who cares?

Use a mixer, even with two mics. You have much better control over the EQ that way, and can patch a bass or any uke with a pickup through as well.

The Soundcraft mixer I use has 48V phantom power, and so does the Yamaha you were looking at.

I've got the MXL 990/991 condenser mic kit from Musicians Friend, at somewhere between $79 and $99 - I use it at open mic nights, as well as at the farmers market gigs - works like a dream.

I haven't used them outdoors yet, so I probably need to get some windscreens -they are recommended anyway, to keep moisture off of the capsule.

-Kurt​

Top Bottom