Season 167 - Waltz

ok I don't wanna sound really thick (oh how often do I start a sentence with that phrase?! too often to count!) but I've stumbled on a nice song with 6/8 time, is that the same as 3/4, well not THE same but close enough for jazz? if anyone wants to explain as if to a small child with a very short attention span please do

3/4 time is not exactly the same as 6/8 time.

In 3/4 time, the three beats are all prominent. (ONE, TWO, THREE, ONE, TWO, THREE)
In 6/8 time, beat one and beat four are given more prominence, making the the measure feel like it is broken into two primary beats with a triplet feel. (ONE, two, three, FOUR, five six, ONE, two, three, FOUR, five six).

Hope this makes sense.

BEV - You should be fine with a tune in 6/8. Many waltzes have been written in 6/8 meter.

6/8 (along with erstwhile companions 9/8 and 12/8) is known as a "compound" meter. I used to explain to my theory students that compound meter "sounds like a triplet every beat". If you take a look at properly written music in 6/8 time, you'll notice that eighth notes will be beamed in groups of three, which helps the player recognize the beat as a group of three eighths.

At a fast tempo, compound meter doesn't really sound like a waltz (think "the Mexican Hat Dance" for an example), but if you slow down your tempo, it's very likely the piece will sound more like it's in 3/4 (and perhaps more like a waltz)

Hope all that helps!!

UkeFoote "Once Upon A December" from "Anastasia"

For Season of the Ukulele 167, we are asked by our Russian hosts, Yeti and Kira, to play a waltz. From the animated film "Anastasia", here's the song "Once Upon A December", performed on baritone ukulele, with theremin solo.

And congratulations Yeti and Kira, on your impending parenthood. You are going to be the happy parents of a fabulous child! For my second video I plan to perform a song with my wonderful kid.

Thanks for hosting!

thank you to lizzie and ukefoote and a secret handsome man who PM-ed me, it sounds like i'm good to go if it's 6/8, everything I am listening to is making me go "ONE two three ONE two three ONE two three" in my head, and wanna get up and dance. badly

thank you to lizzie and ukefoote and a secret handsome man who PM-ed me, it sounds like i'm good to go if it's 6/8, everything I am listening to is making me go "ONE two three ONE two three ONE two three" in my head, and wanna get up and dance. badly

Ooh, will there be waltzing with the secret handsome man? Hope so!

Stupid catchy waltzes! Now I'm walking around the house singing "Chim-chimeny, chim-chimeny, chim chim cheree..." Oy! :)

Stupid catchy waltzes! Now I'm walking around the house singing "Chim-chimeny, chim-chimeny, chim chim cheree..." Oy! :)

Well for God's sake man don't start walking around singing "Raindrops on roses......"

Last edited:
Super excited for this. Always been a fan of a good waltz. something about a good 3/4 or even 6/8 (my favorite meter) waltz just gets me going. Maybe it makes me weird in my group of friends, but whatever. :) Definitely gotta learn something for this season.

Also, congrats to our hosts :)

he didn't actually ask me to dance

he just said 6/8 time should be fine*

*sad wallflowery sigh*

*oh gosh that nearly rhymes!

If you have time on your hands, and can rustle up some handsome Seasons man or other to dance with you ... check out Small Potatoes' "Waltz of the Wallflowers". Or any other Seasonista collab duo with plenty of time ... I wish I had it ... don't ... would so love to see this this week!

Last edited:
Congratulations! You are in for some great times! Our son is 15 months now. I have a lot less free time to play ukulele but he has brought so much joy to my life. I never have time to learn new songs for season's entries now. But occasionally i have a song that fits the theme and can find a moment to record it. Here is a quick one recorded during his nap. Great theme!

Last edited:
Congratulations! You are in for some great times! Our son is 15 months now. I have a lot less free time to play ukulele but he has brought so much joy to my life. I never have time to learn new songs for season's entries now. But occasionally i have a song that fits the theme and can find a moment to record it. Here is a quick one recorded during his nap. Great theme!

That was super, Doug! I especially like the smile at the end...and that's your little dog, right? I remember that fluff-ear from your first Seasons song about the shrimp.

I agree about parenthood. It's the biggest change ever, but it's quite wonderful a lot of the time.

If you have time on your hands, and can rustle up some handsome Seasons man or other to dance with you ... check out Small Potatoes' "Waltz of the Wallflowers". Or any other Seasonista collab duo with plenty of time ... I wish I had it ... don't ... would so love to see this this week!

Wow this is cool Wendy. I wish I could pull it off but it's pretty intricate and I wouldn't have time this week. Great song though. I hope to learn it soon.

Waltzing Matilda

Может ваш ребенок парить как сокол и всегда двигаться на солнце.

This is not a waltz. It is not an entry either. It is appropriate to the Season somewhat, and Saturday April 25 was the 100th Anniversery of ANZAC DAY. There were a half a million casualties both Turkish and Commonwealth in this futile campaign in a futile War to end War. There is however hope for the Future: Canakkale Turkusu

Top Bottom