Song Help Request How do you memorize the music?

I've played for 40+ years and I can't play smoothly reading sheet music :). I'd memorize a couple/few measures at a time ... and look away on occasion while you're playing and see if you keep playing the correct stuff. That's the extent of the help I'm able to offer :)

To add ... I play primarily by ear, and playing with other, better musicians often will help with everything music.

Repetition. I learn things that way. I also hand write lyrics and chords. Some people may wonder why I still handwrite things, instead of printing them off from the computer. Well, that's why. It helps with memorization.

Chords playing is a bit easier as your fret fingers tend to follow the singing.
It's the solo instrumental that is challenging for me.

Chords playing is a bit easier as your fret fingers tend to follow the singing.
It's the solo instrumental that is challenging for me.

I write out solos, too. it's helpful for me to do this. I'm a very visual person.

I write out solos, too. it's helpful for me to do this. I'm a very visual person.

I'm not joking. I will literally draw out for lines and write out a solo.

Played the piano for 35 years, I can play some very difficult pieces but in all that time was never able to memorize a song, never!

Been playing the ukulele for about 4 years and I can play and sing probably 20 songs from start to finish, one after another. I don't even have sheet music for most of them.

The difference ? Well for starters I don't the think I've put my ukulele down since I bought it, I practice practice practice, sometimes 15 minutes at a time sometimes for an hour but I put in 2-3'hours everyday. I try and learn a song versus trying to memorize it. By that I mean that the term memorize conjures up an image of trying to picture an image of the sheet music and play that but when I learn a song I can just play it, I know the verses, the chorus , the lyrics, an opening, an ending. I can play 1 verse or all of them, I can play it as an instrumental without singing because I know the song.
I'm not sure that makes any sense but that's how I do it. I should note that after the first couple of times looking at the chords or the notes then I don't look at them again unless I forget and can,t just finger it out. Over time your brain seems to be able to hear what comes next.
My next move will be to learn and practice my pentatonic scales in different keys, then I think the skies the limit !

I also find it difficult to remember without my notes. I get bored very quickly with constantly playing one or two tunes in order to memorise them. I always want go onto something else. My main interest is playing instrumentals which I can do quite ok from notes. When I do songs with people who play from memory they quite often miss parts out or add bits that are not on the notes.

Every playing session I play the songs I have "memorized" so as to keep them in the memory bank. Then I go on to new songs that I read from the sheet music. That keeps things fresh. I also throw in some practice on new tricks and techniques from UU+ and the like. I remember to have fun which is not hard for me with the uke. The key to me to memorize a new song is to break in into sections, repeat and repeat. No tricks just repetition. It has become easier with practice.

kinda goes without saying... however, I'll say it...

INTENTION!

Yup, sometimes we may feel like we 'should' know a song because we've played it
so often, however, without the deliberate intention to learn it by heart (memorize),
we will have practiced but not 'intentionally' memorized it.

I don't have a problem 'performing' with song sheets in front of me. It's freeing
even if not 'professional'-looking.

It's true, however, that with practice and repetition, one soon becomes very familiar
with both the lyrics and chord progressions. So it may be helpful at times to simply
play in the dark, trying to play as many songs as one can think up, without song sheets.
I think it could surprise many of us re: how many songs we really could play by heart
if we had to and were not as self-conscious as we normally are :)

Performing can also give added incentive to learning songs by heart. And again, that
goes back to 'intention' :)

It's like the '4 steps to mastery':

1-unconscious incompetence - don't know (possible, don't care to know) [hardly thinking about it, if at all]
2-conscious incompetence - care to know, but not doing it very well (thinking hard, working hard) still awkward
3-conscious competence - caring and getting better (feels a lot more comfortable)
4-unconscious competence - can play without thinking... almost :)

keep uke'in',

I haven't memorized all the songs that I play, but I'm always memorizing something. I don't know how many I have in my memory, but I can play for quite a while without having anything in front of me. I do it line by line, verse by verse. It isn't easy, although it is easier than it was when I first started. But it is a lot of work, and some people don't want to put that much effort into it, and I think that there is nothing wrong with playing off of something. But even though it is difficult and frustrating, I keep at it. And sometimes, if I don't play a song for a long time, I forget it, but there is no easy way. There is no trick or formula. So if you want to memorize, knuckle down and do it. A positive, "can do" attitude, will help,,,,, a little. Other than that, you just have to make it happen by will power.

One thing that I don't recall ever seeing mentioned here whenever a post about "memorization" comes up is exactly what one means by that. Rote memorization, like how we were forced to memorize multiplication tables in grade school? Or the playing-without-paper thing that many musicians, especially professionals, do?

I'm going to address the latter, and I'll start by saying even though I've played a long time and have been around music and musicians my whole life - I can't do it! At least not very well :) But I know plenty of others who can, and in my experience, musicians you see in the non-classical world who play without a cheat sheet aren't playing from "memory" per se - they're playing by ear, or a combination of ear and memory; particularly rhythm players. When you understand chord structure and chord progressions that way, it's kind of like speaking a language - you know what comes next and you don't have to look it up. Same goes for the instrumental playing that happens during solo breaks - they know the scales and they know what key they're in, so they know where to go.

Just wanted to put that out there for all of those who "can't" memorize, as I'm one of them - rote memorization has always come very, very slowly and with great difficulty for me. Once I understand the *why* of it, it gets easier, e.g. I can pretty much play a I-IV-V or I-vi-ii-V progression in the more common keys "from memory" (just don't ask me to do it in, say, E flat!). But as primarily an instrumental player, I've probably memorized fewer than a dozen songs beginning to end, and even when I play those I prefer to have my sheet music in front of me (combination of standard notation and tab preferred). I think of it this way: if you go to a classical performance, the players always have sheet music. If it's good enough for the L.A. Philharmonic, then hey - maybe there's something to it! :)

One thing that I don't recall ever seeing mentioned here whenever a post about "memorization" comes up is exactly what one means by that. Rote memorization, like how we were forced to memorize multiplication tables in grade school? Or the playing-without-paper thing that many musicians, especially professionals, do?

I'm going to address the latter, and I'll start by saying even though I've played a long time and have been around music and musicians my whole life - I can't do it! At least not very well :) But I know plenty of others who can, and in my experience, musicians you see in the non-classical world who play without a cheat sheet aren't playing from "memory" per se - they're playing by ear, or a combination of ear and memory; particularly rhythm players. When you understand chord structure and chord progressions that way, it's kind of like speaking a language - you know what comes next and you don't have to look it up. Same goes for the instrumental playing that happens during solo breaks - they know the scales and they know what key they're in, so they know where to go.

Just wanted to put that out there for all of those who "can't" memorize, as I'm one of them - rote memorization has always come very, very slowly and with great difficulty for me. Once I understand the *why* of it, it gets easier, e.g. I can pretty much play a I-IV-V or I-vi-ii-V progression in the more common keys "from memory" (just don't ask me to do it in, say, E flat!). But as primarily an instrumental player, I've probably memorized fewer than a dozen songs beginning to end, and even when I play those I prefer to have my sheet music in front of me (combination of standard notation and tab preferred). I think of it this way: if you go to a classical performance, the players always have sheet music. If it's good enough for the L.A. Philharmonic, then hey - maybe there's something to it! :)

Hey I like that about the Classical performance ! Now I don't feel so bad pulling out that sheet music. I just wish I can pick up an uke and start making music wherever and whenever! One day, may be one day I will get there. For now I only have 1 or 2 Stored in my head. The rest are still tied to that music stand!

Last edited:
I use Guitar Pro 6 software for most pieces. I'll write the transcription into GP6 and learn the piece directly from the computer screen. The software displays the transcription and also provides the audio accompaniment in real time and pitch. You can follow the tune and play along with it or even edit on the hop.

This is a very powerful way to learn new songs, it's much quicker than any other system I have used so far. It really brings the music alive when you have an audio track to show the way.

As others here has stated, you must commit yourself to learning with some dedicated practice. Take the time to thoroughly understand how a piece works, pull it apart & rebuild it, get to know the nuts and bolts of it, once you start doing this it will become second nature and extremely addictive.

I practice a lot like 3 hours a day. Quality time with the uke is the highlight of my day!

I sometimes learn by thinking in terms of "shapes" or "patterns" on the fretboard .

So a particular tune will be "A" string three down, one up, two across"C string" two down from there and back to the beginning ....that makes no sense at all until you translate it from the score .

So you remember that you start on C ..which is 3 down on A ....it goes to B .. one up ...then D two across two down to F and back to C (don't play this it is not a tune just an example..although it may work if you want some originality LOL) But it makes a shape , and I remember the shapes ...little building blocks ....hey ...I may be a curmudgeon ...but it works for me.

Also use chords as jump off points. The melody is in the chord ...don't strum it ...pick it until you find the notes of the melody.

This is where the different position chords come in handy .You may see C on the chord box and play at the third on A. but the note is E at the top of the stave which is 7th on A . So ,play the C chord at the 7th ,a G shape on AEC strings (like a G at fret 2)or a barred F shape and pick out the 7th fret ..E .....am I getting a bit complicated ?....shall I do a little vid ?....I want to help, seriously .

Even I am getting a bit confused . That may be the Bourbon.

I have a picture of an elephant ?!

I think of it this way: if you go to a classical performance, the players always have sheet music. If it's good enough for the L.A. Philharmonic, then hey - maybe there's something to it! :)

And not one them plays the whole tune ....just the little bits on their pieces of paper.

Wid your uke and your 10 fingers you can play the whole tune .....an' I mean this really nicely .

sometimes I think we over complicate things and the simple things go un-appreciated. :2cents::music:

What usually works for me when I'm having trouble memorizing a piece of music is to break it down into it's simplest form and start there. Most music follows some sort of recognizable pattern. Once you remove the gratuitous notes they're usually pretty easy to learn. So, I learn the pattern and put the rest back once I have the pattern down.

Granted, this is much easier for a singer to do, because a voice is essentially a second instrument. Once someone begins to sing a song, they usually recognize the patterns, even if they don't do it intentionally. That helps lock the patterns of chord structures into their brain as they play.

Muscle memory takes care of the rest. If you sing a series of notes (Doe ray me fa so la ti doe) and play those notes individually on an instrument enough times, you begin to instinctively know where those notes are because you've made a mental connection between your voice and your hands. There's a method for learning how to sing jazz and play guitar that involves harmonizing vocally while playing scales and arpeggios. Occasionally you'll hear even soloists doing it under their breath as they play.

If you don't sing while you play though, I've got nothing for you.

Op
What usually works for me when I'm having trouble memorizing a piece of music is to break it down into it's simplest form and start there. Most music follows some sort of recognizable pattern. Once you remove the gratuitous notes they're usually pretty easy to learn. So, I learn the pattern and put the rest back once I have the pattern down.

Granted, this is much easier for a singer to do, because a voice is essentially a second instrument. Once someone begins to sing a song, they usually recognize the patterns, even if they don't do it intentionally. That helps lock the patterns of chord structures into their brain as they play.

Muscle memory takes care of the rest. If you sing a series of notes (Doe ray me fa so la ti doe) and play those notes individually on an instrument enough times, you begin to instinctively know where those notes are because you've made a mental connection between your voice and your hands. There's a method for learning how to sing jazz and play guitar that involves harmonizing vocally while playing scales and arpeggios. Occasionally you'll hear even soloists doing it under their breath as they play.

If you don't sing while you play though, I've got nothing for you.

I let the uke do all the singing.

An audio visual track to play along with is a great way to learn songs and also to help sort out strumming patterns for songs. It's also a fun way to practice and to play with others. I've seen lots of complete "newbies" to music of any kind learn to play like this.

Top Bottom