Season 168 - Go Out and See the Lights of Night!

uke4ia

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
SEASON 168 — Go Out and See the Lights of Night!

There's just something about looking at bright lights at night. When I was a college freshman in Boston, once in a while I would go up to the dorm's top floor in the evening and just stare out the lounge window at the city lights for a half hour. It's mesmerizing, it fills you with childlike wonder, and it gets you excited to step out into that lit night and have an adventure, all at the same time.

So this week, I want songs about bright lights and going out to revel in them. I'm talking I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight. I'm talking Steppin' Out. I'm talking Bright Lights, Bigger City.

But it doesn't have to be a big city. Maybe you're out on a boat watching the Lights across the water. Maybe all you have is a 40 Watt light bulb and you're making believe you're in a nightclub.

The songs can be about the night life you're going out to enjoy - but only IF there's some mention of bright lights in the lyrics.

No, songs about the moon or stars do not fit this theme.

AND -- there's also a secondary theme this week! My daughter's birthday is coming up this month, and in the past she has suggested a rabbit theme. I didn't think there were enough rabbit songs to make this workable. But there's enough if rabbits aren't the primary theme. So I'm looking for songs about rabbits, hares, bunnies, or at least songs with one of those in the title. Eisley and I are counting on you coming up with a few of these this week. I did a search on iTunes to come up with some song suggestions, and I'll put those in another post below.

Rules:

• The video must be a new video recorded for this contest.
• The video must say that it is for the 168th Season of the Ukulele.
• Multitracking is okay, overdubs are okay. But I'm most interested in seeing you perform a song on the ukulele.
• Videos must be posted to this thread. But not before midnight tonight, Hawaiian time. (And remember, Season 167 still has a day to go.)
• The contest ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, May 10.
NO MORE THAN THREE VIDEOS TOTAL! You can divvy them up between the two playlists any way you want. But if you have more than three videos, put the extra ones on the Misfits Island. I'm a working man, and there's only so much time I have available to watch and comment on videos.

Winners will be chosen randomly. Hopefully, more obviously randomly than the Season 137 results of Linda, Lynda, and Lynette. (Thank you, Random.org.) The prizes will probably be T-shirts. One may be a "Peter Cotton Ale - Now with More Hops" shirt.

Bright Lights Playlist

Rabbits Playlist

This week's theme comes from the chorus of "Bright City", a song by the late '70s Boston band Private Lightning.

Last edited:

In my iTunes search, I discovered a song called "Light Up the Night" by the band Rabbit! (The exclamation point is part of the band's name.)

woooooooooooo! great double theme!

does anyone who can get through "bright eyes" without sobbing, get a special prize?

This was a free song on iTunes in the US a week ago, and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since then. I like songs that combine downbeat lyrics and uplifting music.

These are "Rabbits" songs I found in searches of the iTunes store, and in my own iTunes library:

The Bonny Black Hare - traditional (Fairport Convention) warning - bawdy lyrics
Bunny Ain't No Kind of Rider - of Montreal
Down the Rabbit Hole - Adam Lambert
I've Got a Theory/Bunnies/If We're Together - Buffy the Vampire Slayer musical episode
Jackrabbit - San Fermin
Kill the Wabbit - Ozzy Fudd (in case Wendy wants to sing like Elmer Fudd)
Let's Pretend We're Bunny Rabbits - The Magnetic Fields
Mad as Rabbits - Panic! at the Disco
Moonrabbit - Cloud Control
Playboy Bunny - Shawn Lee
Rabbit - Matt Duke
Rabbit - Ray Wylie Hubbard
Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up) - Florence + the Machine
Rabbit Holes - Dirty Little Rabbits
Rabbit Run - Eminem
Rabbits Dying - Throwing Muses
Rabbits Facts - Grand National
Roger Rabbit - Sleeping with Sirens
Run Run Rabbit - Sugar Stems
A Song Dedicated to the Memory of Stormy the Rabbit - Andrew Jackson Jihad
Summer Bunnies - R. Kelly
Tortoise and the Hare - Moody Blues
White Rabbit - Egypt Central
White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
You're Getting to Be a Rabbit with Me - Allan Sherman

On top of those, there's all the children's songs like Here Comes Peter Cottontail, Little Bunny Foo Foo, Run Rabbit Run, etc.

Last edited:
woooooooooooo! great double theme!

does anyone who can get through "bright eyes" without sobbing, get a special prize?

If you mean "Total Eclipse of the Heart", I don't think the lyrics fit the theme. The closest they come is "giving off sparks". Or do you mean the Simon and Garfunkel song?

There's just something about looking at bright lights at night. When I was a college freshman in Boston, once in a while I would go up to the dorm's top floor in the evening and just stare out the lounge window at the city lights for a half hour. It's mesmerizing, it fills you with childlike wonder, and it gets you excited to step out into that lit night and have an adventure, all at the same time.

Where'd ya go to college? I've got two guesses for "Boston lights" + "tall dorm". :)

Geez, Jim, maybe time to put out a solo version of that collab you, Berni and I did a while back - although I really liked that version too.

I may not be able to actually post to YouTube this week, but I will do my best.

Where'd ya go to college? I've got two guesses for "Boston lights" + "tall dorm". :)

Towers on Bay State Rd. at Boston University. They were the lights across the river in Cambridge I was looking at.

great theme that will have me working my progression. Stepping out is a fantastic song but too ambitious for me. I hope someone thinks they can do it!

The Joe Jackson one?

thanks D3B7!

No problem!! I hadn't heard that song in years! It's a good one and I hope you try it! I'm going to learn it, but not sure I'll get it down in time for this week.

Yay, I can fit a SpongeBob song this week!

stooooooooooooooooooooopid question

they do say there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers

but really

this is a stupid question but I feel compelled to ask it

does it have to be city lights? because there is a very very lovely song called "northern lights", by renaissance...

does it have to be city lights? because there is a very very lovely song called "northern lights", by renaissance...

Oh, roar a roar for Nora
Our Nora burning bright
For she has seen aurora
Borealis in the night -- Walt Kelly

I'm sort of torn. The Northern Lights are indeed bright lights at night that fill someone with wonder. I also want to hear someone play a Renaissance song in the Seasons. On the other hand, I don't want everyone to just give me songs about the moon and stars. I am going to say yeah, go ahead. And I'm going back to the original post to say that songs about the moon and stars aren't enough.

Top Bottom