So that's a fiddle right?

No one has ever mistaken my uke for anything else when they could see it. I've had neighbors overhear me playing and they've guessed piano, mandolin, and banjo just from the sound.

I've been asked numerous times if I was carrying a violin by people seeing me carrying my uke in its case. Usually I reply as deadpan as possible, "No - machine gun" - although I suppose I should be careful with that one! :)

Actually I've made the opposite mistake, seeing kids by the local junior high carrying polyfoam cases that looked like concert uke cases. I asked a couple of times if it was a uke, and it was a violin each time. I do see kids carrying ukes from time to time, but they usually don't bother with cases.

A Hofner-styled U-Bass almost seems redundant, given the shorter scale (compared to the standard 34" of basses) and woody, acoustic tone of the Hofner already.

almost, but not really, Hofner scale is 30" u-bass is 21"...quite a big difference actually! More than from a soprano uke to a baritone!

Anyone who hears me play swears it's a tuba, an accordian, a bagpipe; anything but a ukulele. :biglaugh:

I've been a vocal proponent of music and music education since the '80's, so I have a habit of sharing music and ukulele with folks quite a bit. It seems to come up a lot in conversation. I explain how much fun it is and how it is easy to get started. Most people have been very kind about it and think it is cool that I've started a group and have been getting other people involved. Haven't met with anyone rude yet.

almost, but not really, Hofner scale is 30" u-bass is 21"...quite a big difference actually! More than from a soprano uke to a baritone!

Having both and playing both, in a band setting the difference is minor at best. If anything, the Hofner will cut through better and more easily sit in the mix; the U-Bass is just too tubby.

If the case is shut, I explain....these days the machine gun comment really isn't funny anymore, people giggle nervously, and don't laugh like they used to.
If the case is open, I close it, clutch it to my body, back away, and run like hell.

If the case is shut, I explain....these days the machine gun comment really isn't funny anymore, people giggle nervously, and don't laugh like they used to.

I still get laughs from it, but I choose my audience carefully :) Usually it's some big friendly bear of a guy asking me, and the machine gun response is the last thing they expect to hear from a mousy little 5'2" woman.

Come to think of it... just about the only strangers who ever ask what's in the case are big friendly bear-like guys. Not sure what that means, but there ya go!

Top Bottom