Cheap knockabout outdoor ukulele

rocketuke

Reaction score
Having got myself some pretty decent mid-range ukuleles I'm now after a super cheap ukulele that can take some abuse for traveling, outdoor use etc - one which wouldn't bother me if it got a bit scratched, wet or even lost or stolen.

I've been looking at either a Soprano Octopus, a Makala Dolphin or the Korala Concert Plastic PUC ukulele. Any of those can be had for £20 - £30 and seem to be pretty well thought of for a next-to-nothing ukulele.

Anyone owned 2 or 3 of these and have any ideas of which might be strongest or hold up best to abuse?

Thanks.

Have you seen all the recent buzz about the newly available Kala Waterman uke?

It's all plastic, soprano, and seemingly available everywhere.

I dont have one, since I dont play soprano, but lots of folks seem to like them.

You can use the SEARCH function here on the forum for the term 'waterman' (without the quotes) and you will see all the threads about them.

Also, here is the info page from Kala:

http://kalabrand.com/Models/Makala/Waterman/WatermanDetailsPage.html

Note that the prices on Kala's site are MSRP, and actual cost retail/street price will be lower.

IIRC, as per reading other threads, sourcing the Waterman in the UK, Southern Ukulele Store and Omega Music should have them in stock, otherwise, there's always Uke Republic and Mim's Ukes, both of which will ship globally at a reasonable cost.

Aside from that, there is also the Woodi soprano plastic uke that came out last year (~$35USD), as well as the Alic soprano which is constructed in a similar way to your Fluke for sale (~$100USD), both of which have been discussed here on UU, just search the brand names like for the Waterman as suggested above...

Please let me know if this helps your or not...:)

Hi Booli,

Apologies for the delay and thanks for that info.

The Waterman does look alright, but it does look a bit brittle. Might not be. I've not seen one in the flesh and didn't know about it until you mentioned it. Thanks.

The Alic might be an option - but I might just get the old favourite - a Dolphin. Hmm. I'll see what turns up.

Thanks again!

I just went through this exact same process a few weeks ago. I bought a waterman from a reputable dealer since no one local had them. I hated it, and sent it back. The action is not really adjustable (perhaps you could sand away the top of the plastic one-piece bridge, but I wouldn't), and was way to high to play comfortably. I also didn't care much for the dead/muted sound. Also the frets and fret markers wear off after an hour or so of playing. I contacted Kala about this, but they didn't respond.

After returning it, I ended up ordering an Ohana PK-10 from Mim. It is laminate and is much more playable and sounds way better than the waterman. Sure, it's not as cheap as the waterman, but it isn't that much more. Some folks like the waterman, but even some that are usually fans of plastic ukulele don't care for it. So I wouldn't buy that one unless you try it in the store and like the specific unit you are getting.

Sorry I haven't tried any of the other ones you mention, so I can't comment. I did consider the dolphin, but the Ohana sounded so much better for not a heck of a lot more money.

Others have said it many times here, and I totally agree. Unless you can do the set up yourself, don't buy a cheap ukulele from anyone that doesn't include set up. That is unless you can play it in person and make sure the action is good and there are no buzzes.

Lincoln

Used fleas can be had around the $100 range if you look or wait. Never heard of a flea or fluke that needed a setup. The plastic fretboard has no markings to wear out from memory the three dots are molded in a different color.

The bugsgear plastic ukulele has no markings to wear off either and you can get a blem for $40 before S&H. I have a smiley ukulele that I made a player and it has a different sound. I wouldn't expect much in sound from either the dolphin or any plastic ukulele though the flea sounds rather good.

~peace~

I bought a Makala Dolphin from Uke Republic awhile back. The setup is outstanding and I actually really like the shape and feel of the neck too. My other two ukes are really nice customs and this one feels just as good in my hands. I am really pleased with how well it plays.

Now, when it comes to sound that is a different story. The tone really isn't that bad but it is very quiet. I know that many people say tone is more important than volume, which is true...to a point. This little sucker is really quiet. Just no where near as resonant and full sounding as a solid wood uke.

But, the thing is indestructible as my toddler has demonstrated. I bought it for him and he drags it around, stands on it, hits it with sticks, uses it to hit other objects, etc. Occasionaly he will even pluck a string or two. It it missing some paint here and there but is still as functional as the day I got it.

If you can get one with a setup and Aquila strings (like Uke Republic supplies) I would recommend a Dolphin. It has greatly exceeded my expecations.

I am heading more towards a Dolphin. The problem with a lot of the plastic ones it not being able to see the frets very well and I'm still at a stage where I need to! At least the Dolphin has visible frets - obviously because the fretboard is wood and not plastic - but I like the 'indestructible' nature of the body.

Quiet doesn't bother me either - it's mostly for practicing in the garden or when away from home - not for anything like a performance - so the less other people are able to hear it the better. The Red Burst one looks quite grown up I think :)

I am heading more towards a Dolphin. The problem with a lot of the plastic ones it not being able to see the frets very well and I'm still at a stage where I need to! At least the Dolphin has visible frets - obviously because the fretboard is wood and not plastic - but I like the 'indestructible' nature of the body.

Quiet doesn't bother me either - it's mostly for practicing in the garden or when away from home - not for anything like a performance - so the less other people are able to hear it the better. The Red Burst one looks quite grown up I think :)

Haha, yeah I went with the red burst myself. Here is a sound sample (https://youtu.be/kwuwskgc-Hg).

Very nice - dirtiestkidever. Sounds pretty good for a cheap uke to me. Not sure I can make it sound that good yet. Enjoyed some of your other vids too. Not all your uke's are cheap are they!

Good work. Thanks.

Thanks VegasGeorge - and the good thing about your Yellow Oscar is it's easy to find amongst everything else!

Dolphin seems to be quite a favorite but plenty of other options there too. Hmmm.

Saw this thread weeks ago but didn't realise you were in the UK. Have you looked at the Moselele bamboo uke? Not too pricey, and it really is a good uke. I got one a while back for camping/throwing in the back of the car, and can only say good things about it. I lowered the action slightly, and replaced the Aquilas with Living Water, and it really sings.

Thanks YorkSteve.

Oddly enough I played one of these last week as they were selling them at the GNUF in Huddersfield. I did think they were pretty good for the price. Glad you like yours.

I would go for one of the bottom of the line Kala,Lanikai,OS laminate over the Dolphin or plastic ukes [except the Macciferris]. They have much better tone IMHO., and are sturdy. There are some real gems in the boatload if you get a chance to play before you buy. The Dolpnins and their clones are cute, but thick paint does kind of dampen the tone and it chips easily. I have had them and they are OK, but there are better options .

After all that I ended up getting a hard case for my Ohana soprano! Quite like the sound of that one - although now of course I'm realising that I really do prefer playing the concert size! Doh!

Top Bottom