Which Kiwaya soprano?

Sylvan

Reaction score
Hi all - I have a few nice concerts that I enjoy and a cheap Makala MK-S. I've been debating getting either a nice tenor or one fine soprano. I really enjoy the easy playability of my Makala soprano. It's just a whole lot of fun to play. I also have low G on one of my concerts and that seems to be doing a reasonable job of filling in for a tenor so I've decided to upgrade my soprano experience first.

I tend to play a variety of pop/ folk music from the 60s and 70s as well as traditional songs. I'm looking for a light responsive soprano with a mellow, warm, rich tone, good note definition and one which also has great intonation up the neck. Volume is not important to me as I'm not performing with it. Kiwayas seem to get great reviews so I think I'd like to try out one of them.

I'm considering the KS-1 and KS-5 laminates as well at the KTS-4 solid hog. So out of these three, which has the warmest, most mellow tone? Is the KTS-4 worth it as an upgrade over the laminates? Is there a different uke in this general price range I should consider? I don't plan on buying other sopranos so I'm planning on this one lasting me a long time. So what do you Kiwaya soprano fans think?

Hi, Sylvan.

Kiwayas are amazing instruments and I think you will find any to be a significant upgrade in workmanship, sound and tone to your Makala.

I have owned (and do own) laminates and solids from Kiwaya. I like them both, but will say, the solids are very tightly built and sort of--I don;t know, I can't think of another word than tight right now--lack some jangle compared to the Kiwaya laminates. This could just be my impression comparing the three Kiwaya solids that I have owned with the three Kiwaya laminates and my new and vintage Martins. In short, the Kiwaya laminates are exceptional instruments.

http://takumiukulele.com/kiwayaukuleles.html

The KS-5 and KS-1 laminates have one minor advantage over the KTS-4: a slightly extended fretboard. Some say it impedes soundboard movement, but it's imperceptible to me. Do I use the uppermost frets? Once in a blue moon, but when I need to plink out that one higher note in a song, it's there.

In studying the website, I see the KS-1 (hog laminate) is significantly lower priced than the KS-5 (Koa laminate), and I'll bet the sound is super similar since they're both laminates. ONe has 14 frets, and the other has 15 frets, so same there (and both more than the 12 fret KTS-4). I like nickel-plated tuners and frets, so KS-1; if you wear gold jewelry and like gold ukes, then I guess it's Ks-5. lol

Which would I get? KS-1. But everyone is different. Any way you slice it, you're doing well with your Kiwaya choice, S.

And, hopefully, we can all one day play like George. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jxZNxJIdP4

PS You do not have to upgrade unless you want to, Sylvan. Here's George again showing a $20 uke versus his $1000 Kiwaya. LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nf4BiossT8

Last edited:
Thanks to you both for your thoughts. That George is awesome! Thanks for the links. I'll definitely be checking out more of his videos. I think I understand what you mean by a tight build. If I can save some cash by going laminate and not miss much on the sound side - all the better!

Julie has owned many high-end sops, and she says the Koa Laminate is different than the hog laminate, so her opinion is gold. I've never actually compared the two together in Kiwayas. (I prefer the sound of hog over Koa, in general, but many disagree).

Wolfgang, WS64, once told me that his fav uke is the thin body laminate 0 series, as shown here and used in most of his videos.
http://youtu.be/U_T6DeWGx-U

both George and Wolfgang are UU Forum members.

I think laminates suffer reduced volume, as heard in George's comparison. This reduced volume is not heard in Kiwaya laminates. In fact, so thin and resonant they are that I can't even tell they're laminates at all based in sound and even looks, even when peering at the edges of the soundhole. Like most things Japanese built, they are precision machines.

Gluck, S. Happy hunting and buying.

Note: for the same price as the Kiwaya Koa laminate you could get a Martin Style 0 vintage mahogany player and be done with the uke hunt once and for all, but I digress. :)

Last edited:
Great thread. I hope lots of people are reading it. Lots of great information, from people with extensive experience.
My 2 cents:
I've only played a handful of Kiwaias (all laminates). They all had superior intonation and playability/set-up. I've never been a fan of laminates, but for this brand, I make an exception. Very high-class instruments.

Kiwaya's are generally excellent. If price is a primary concern, you can hardly do wrong with the KS laminate line. There is probably slightly better re-sale on a KTS-4 because some people won't consider laminates "just because." Here is a nice review by Ken Middleton. If you are considering the KTS-4, I have a brand new Ken Timms I'll be posting in the next day or so. I bought it on a whim and literally days later bought an extremely nice tenor that I couldn't resist and so need to sell the Timms. It's literally got 15 minutes of play time. They are not easy to come by and this thing is a canon in terms of sound.

I had a KTS-4 that I regret selling. Eventually I filled that void with an even lovelier Timms. And I've got an KS-1 as my go anywhere/Camping uke. It doesn't have the rich full sound the KTS-4 and the Timms have, but it still sounds a lot better that a lot of solid instruments I've laid my hands on. Kiwayas are great and their laminates are pretty much the best sounding laminates available.

Thanks for your tips everyone. I think a KS-5 may be in my future.

This thread has got me thinking or reconsidering buying a Martin ... and possibly looking at a KLS-2G. Does anyone have experience with such a beast?

I have a Super Soprano Keli'i and enjoy it, but thought this tone and workmanship might be sufficiently superior to consider getting one of these.

This thread has got me thinking or reconsidering buying a Martin ... and possibly looking at a KLS-2G. Does anyone have experience with such a beast?

I have a Super Soprano Keli'i and enjoy it, but thought this tone and workmanship might be sufficiently superior to consider getting one of these.

When I got turned onto super sopranos I was interested in this model as well. Seems they are as scarse as hens teeth. I finally contacted Andrew at HMS. He would have to dig deep into some Asian distrubutors to get one, if they are available.

There is no substitute for a vintage Martin, Simon. Nothing compares, even Kiwayas (and, trust me, I have owned about five of them). :) And with the recent decline in general uke sales, many Martins at good prices now (better than 2 years ago, for sure). Your retained value prospect is great with a vintage Martin (not so much with Kiwaya, as MattyUke and I have had a thread about in the past). So, overall, a winner (once a person gets over the fear of vintage). With the price of Kiwayas now (no concession made in their inflated prices despite the strong US dollar; Kiwayas are still highly priced), and the ready availability of 50+ year old Martins from people moving to guitars and iWatches (lol), I'm puzzled by buyers opting for knockoffs for the same price, or more, than a true, original Martin. Just one perspective. cheers, brother.

Last edited:
There is no substitute for a vintage Martin, Simon. Nothing compares, even Kiwayas (and, trust me, I have owned about five of them). :) And with the recent decline in general uke sales, many Martins at good prices now (better than 2 years ago, for sure). Your retained value prospect is great with a vintage Martin (not so much with Kiwaya, as MattyUke and I have had a thread about in the past). So, overall, a winner (once a person gets over the fear of vintage). With the price of Kiwayas now (no concession made in their inflated prices despite the strong US dollar; Kiwayas are still highly priced), and the ready availability of 50+ year old Martins from people moving to guitars and iWatches (lol), I'm puzzled by buyers opting for knockoffs for the same price, or more, than a true, original Martin. Just one perspective. cheers, brother.

Thanks for your input, Steve.

I am definitely interested in a Martin Style 0 or 1, or a Concert ... lost out on a couple of opportunities but they were a little beaten up ... perhaps I will save my dollars and get ready for a good Martin deal ... you are right about the prices of the Kiwayas ... would you say the fret spacing is a little larger in the vintage Martin's than current Sopranos?

I am favour the Mahogany over the Koa, as I have read you are partial to as well. Mahogany (to my ear) is the right tone wood for a soprano: warm, mellow with some brightness.

I agree with Steve in all regards to this. Kiwayas sound 'like' a vintage Martin. It is important to note the 'like' as opposed to 'the same.' Nothing sounds the same as a vintage Martin except a vintage Martin. My advice would be that if you're considering a new KTS4 (an incredible uke none-the-less) it would be better to invest in a pre 1950s Martin Style 0.

I agree with Steve in all regards to this. Kiwayas sound 'like' a vintage Martin. It is important to note the 'like' as opposed to 'the same.' Nothing sounds the same as a vintage Martin except a vintage Martin. My advice would be that if you're considering a new KTS4 (an incredible uke none-the-less) it would be better to invest in a pre 1950s Martin Style 0.

THanks for your input as well, Matt.

When I plY with my son's Kala Soprano I find my fingers too scrunched. But I can move very nicely on my Concert neck Super Soprano. Hence perhaps a Ckncert Martin is in the cards.

Steve or Matt, is there much difference between the two sides on the Martin. The Style 0 sopranos look like they have more fret spacing than my sons Kala.

THanks for your input as well, Matt.

When I plY with my son's Kala Soprano I find my fingers too scrunched. But I can move very nicely on my Concert neck Super Soprano. Hence perhaps a Ckncert Martin is in the cards.

Steve or Matt, is there much difference between the two sides on the Martin. The Style 0 sopranos look like they have more fret spacing than my sons Kala.

Bear in mind that it's not all about fret spacing. String spacing is important too. Kalas have strings very close together so your fingers can feel scrunched up. Martins and Kiwayas have wider string spacing.

Bear in mind that it's not all about fret spacing. String spacing is important too. Kalas have strings very close together so your fingers can feel scrunched up. Martins and Kiwayas have wider string spacing.

Although I'm not familiar with a Kala, per se, I have had three other "cheaper ukes" in the past--one I still own: a Fender--and they absolutely had closer string spacing, as Matt notes in his excellent point.

Martin made approx 9k concert ukes ever (all years combined), while, in its heyday, making 14k soprano ukes in a single year. Your search for an inexpensive concert Martin, Simon, may be a long-time coming (shame: I sold a pristine Martin concert to a lovely UUer, Macmuse, about four months ago--like new condition despite being 50 years old--for a significant discount to market; I was desperate to subsidize a new Olympic weight set and never bothered with a UU or eBay listing as I know the buyer from UU).

PS this is post 6666 total for me on UU, so, if I die in my sleep tonight, youll all know why.

Last edited:
Top Bottom