Which Kiwaya soprano?

A Kiwaya KS-1 or KS-5 is definitely on my short-list of my next uke to buy. I do intentionally/specifically want laminates (because I live in Arizona and it's so dry here and I'm lazy on humidification). The wider fretboard sounds nice too especially on a soprano. This sounds like a no-brainer. Now I just need to clear out some space/ save up some money.
Also, Happy Memorial Day weekend to UU!

Martin sopranos of any vintage are great. Kiwayas are every bit as good. Some have very particular opinions regarding their preferences. I bought a Kiwaya KS-5 from Andrew at HMS directly, and it surpassed all of my expectations. It's a plain looking unit, but the sound and playability are superb. I've owned vintage Martins, too- not my bag. I'd rather have a new ukulele made to impeccable standards, Kiwaya being among the absolute best. I currently own many high end sopranos, and for the money, Kiwaya ought not be overlooked. As far as the the short fretboard goes, with those preferring the concert scale length, well, we all have our limits, but I would urge anyone who holds this notion to give a true soprano a shot for a few weeks. You may or may not be surprised. I'll try to look for a video with the KS-5 to post here in the meantime. -- Matt

I have 3 Kiwaya Sopranos, A KTS-6, KTS-7 and KMS-K. My favorite for clarity and playability is the KTS-7. The playability can be credited to The Ukulele Site. They did a great set-up. It seems to sound best with Martin strings, (my Martin Cherry 3 sounds best with Worth medium clear). The Martin Cherry has an almost harp like tone with nice balance and note separation. I love all of my Kiwayas, but the Martin Cherry cannot be beat for it's nice mellow tone and balance. None of these are cheap, but I think that they are worth the money.

The KTS-4, like a vintage Martin 0 should be friendly and of top quality. I prefer the shorter fingerboard of my vintage Martin 1 for fingerstyle because it doesn't get in the way and I don't tend to play over the body. The style 0 has a simplicity that I find attractive and the price is much more reasonable.

I have a KTS-4 and I love it. I was at a uke-fest at the weekend talking to someone with a KTS-7 - he said he'd had a KTS-4 and regretted selling it - he said he thought it better than the KTS-7 - he thought that something, possibly the additional trim on the top KTS-7 and the binding affected the sound - that the simpler KTS-4 produced the superior sound. I certainly won't be selling mine in the near future, it's magnificent.

For me, the low action combined with the longer fretboards makes finger picking difficult. I'd recommend the 12 fret KTS-4.

You know, I would definitely agree on this - a longer fretboard gets in the way - it gets in my way when fingerpicking, anyway - on a uke.... and I've heard others say this - but George Elmes obviously has no difficulty with it, I know he loves his KTS-7.... it's something to bear in mind!

Bear in mind that it's not all about fret spacing. String spacing is important too. Kalas have strings very close together so your fingers can feel scrunched up. Martins and Kiwayas have wider string spacing.

Good point on the string spacing. I have an opportunity to buy a 1950's Martin Style 0 with Martin hard case for $500 CDA. Not sure what to do. 1 minor scratch on the front and surface crack on the back that apparently hasn't changed in 15 years. On a relatively clean vintage Uke. Is that a good price?

Although I'm not familiar with a Kala, per se, I have had three other "cheaper ukes" in the past--one I still own: a Fender--and they absolutely had closer string spacing, as Matt notes in his excellent point.

Martin made approx 9k concert ukes ever (all years combined), while, in its heyday, making 14k soprano ukes in a single year. Your search for an inexpensive concert Martin, Simon, may be a long-time coming (shame: I sold a pristine Martin concert to a lovely UUer, Macmuse, about four months ago--like new condition despite being 50 years old--for a significant discount to market; I was desperate to subsidize a new Olympic weight set and never bothered with a UU or eBay listing as I know the buyer from UU).

PS this is post 6666 total for me on UU, so, if I die in my sleep tonight, youll all know why.

A Martin wasn't on my radar then. It is too bad.

Good point on the string spacing. I have an opportunity to buy a 1950's Martin Style 0 with Martin hard case for $500 CDA. Not sure what to do. 1 minor scratch on the front and surface crack on the back that apparently hasn't changed in 15 years. On a relatively clean vintage Uke. Is that a good price?
It's a price that is good for a mint Style 0, 1950s. You will have to decide if it is mint or not. :p

PS that is for US $500. I do not know the conversion, Simon.

Last edited:
Okay, then it can have a couple scratches. :D

No I just have to convince my wife that I need another Uke ... it would only be my second soprano and first Martin Mahogany Vintage ... did I say it comes with a really nice case?:cool:

No I just have to convince my wife that I need another Uke ... it would only be my second soprano and first Martin Mahogany Vintage ... did I say it comes with a really nice case?:cool:

I spend most of my life trying to convince my wife I need another uke (or to keep the ones I have!) Go for it! :eek:

I spend most of my life trying to convince my wife I need another uke (or to keep the ones I have!) Go for it! :eek:

I don't have too many yet, but I might end up in that position.

I have a video and sound sample and have to say this Martin Style 0 I am looking at is not impressive.

It's too bad that Kiwaya doesn't produce laminates in sizes other than soprano. They would sound pretty great, I would think.

Well, I finally have a Kiwaya KS-5, courtesy of HMS. While I wouldn't call myself an expert on sopranos, I must say that this is one fine uke. The fit and finish are beautiful. I love the neck - it is super smooth, the stock tuners work fine. The intonation is great up the neck. The playability is so smooth and easy. The laminate top is quite responsive and is about the thickness of a dime. While the top is fairly plain looking, its back has some nice shimmer to it. I'm not sure about the strings though. I'm thinking about putting some Worth Browns on it. I have never tried Worth strings. Would this be a good idea or am I better off sticking with the stock strings until they wear out. Any other string suggestions for a warm tone?

Great buy, Sylvan.

I think Kiwaya puts Fremont Blackline strings on the uke, right? Are your strings black or clear? I love Fremonts, personally, but for around six bucks ($12 for a double set), you can try your idea of WBs and let us know.

Congratulations!

Thanks, I was wondering what they come with. Yes the stock strings are black. I never had Freemonts before. Maybe I'll give them some time to see if they grow on me.

Great buy, Sylvan.

I think Kiwaya puts Fremont Blackline strings on the uke, right? Are your strings black or clear? I love Fremonts, personally, but for around six bucks ($12 for a double set), you can try your idea of WBs and let us know.

Congratulations!

I was told by Kiwaya a while back that they use Orca strings - very similar to Fremont blacklines. I put Orca mediums on my KTS7 and it sounded lovely. I still prefer Martin M600s on sopranos in general though.

Top Bottom