CLARA - Review

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
BLACKBIRD CLARA CONCERT UKE

I have been fortunate enough to try quite a number of these ukes this year and I am impressed. Really impressed. I talked at length with Joe, the owner of Blackbird, at NAMM this year. Recently he gave me a lift back from the Reno Festival to San Francisco and we stopped on the way to make this video and take some photos. I put this video together when I returned home.

Thanks, Ken. Would have loved to hear a more extensive review from you, but I understand it was impromptu.

Thanks, Ken. Would have loved to hear a more extensive review from you, but I understand it was impromptu.

Yes, I would normally have given more information. However, everything I would have said about the instrument is on the Blackbird website. In fact, everything was working against us that day: my camera wouldn't work, I forgot the wind-screen for the mic, traffic noise, etc. It is lucky anything at all was recorded.

Thanks for watching.

Nice review Ken.
Anyone interested in playing a Blackbird, look for me at UWC.

Nice review Ken.
Anyone interested in playing a Blackbird, look for me at UWC.

Interestingly, we did a video at Joe's factory. I played the black tenor and Russell played the Clara. I must admit that I now like them both pretty much equally to play. The tone of the Clara still has the edge though.

You now really ought to change your name to WinnebagoingUke.

Very nice review. Thank you for posting it.

Nicely done, Ken. Lots of us Clara fans here on UU but sometimes people are understandably sheepish with something so new/different. Your compliments on its tone and playability given the great number of ukes you've tried is a great endorsement. Joe and his team are doing a nice job and its nice to see them getting more and more accepted.

And I must admit, the whole video I wondered how cold & wet your feet were! ;-)

Nicely done, Ken. Lots of us Clara fans here on UU but sometimes people are understandably sheepish with something so new/different. Your compliments on its tone and playability given the great number of ukes you've tried is a great endorsement. Joe and his team are doing a nice job and its nice to see them getting more and more accepted.

And I must admit, the whole video I wondered how cold & wet your feet were! ;-)

Thanks.

They were as warm and dry as toast, Eddie.

Hi Ken,

Well done as always. Just received my Clara yesterday and was blown away. Have a BBT that I love but was itching for something more "organic" sounding but could not bring myself to by a wood instrument. I was concerned about the scale being a tenor guy but the sound and playability won me over immediately. I purchased from Michael at MacNichol's who does a wonderful job on setups and he upgraded the saddle to a mother of pearl saddle that further enhances the warmth and depth of the sound to my ears. It is my new best friend and expect to travel the world with it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!!

Chris

That was fun! Wish I could afford one. :)

The train was perfect. Somehow when you're recording outdoors it always seems like something wants to add some sound, like that helicopter in the middle of nowhere. :p

Haha. I often get trains, but motorbikes and helicopters are very common too.

Hi Ken,

Well done as always. Just received my Clara yesterday and was blown away. Have a BBT that I love but was itching for something more "organic" sounding but could not bring myself to by a wood instrument. I was concerned about the scale being a tenor guy but the sound and playability won me over immediately. I purchased from Michael at MacNichol's who does a wonderful job on setups and he upgraded the saddle to a mother of pearl saddle that further enhances the warmth and depth of the sound to my ears. It is my new best friend and expect to travel the world with it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!!

Chris

I'm really glad you are pleased with it. I too prefer a tenor size, but this concert is so portable and has such a rich tone that I was immediately impressed by it.

Top Bottom