Crosspicking

Very nice! You are only the fourth person I've ever watched play a bari with a pick. The other three live near me....

Aha, I've been crosspicking for awhile without even knowing it! (But my left hand work is not as good as Ondrej here.) It just seemed like a natural way to transfer fingerpicking technique to flatpicking my ukes, banjo-uke, and banjo-mandolin.

I use this now on my soprano ukes, one tuned low-G and the other restrung with Aquila fifths for mandolin tuning. I am trying to apply this to my Kala KA6 six-string tenor uke but its strange setup, with the C and A doubled in octaves so the top course contains both the lowest and second-highest strings, is a challenge.

I use the thinnest possible picks on the ukes' composite strings, Jim Dunlop nylon 0.38mm. The strings should last longer this way.

Aha, I've been crosspicking for awhile without even knowing it! (But my left hand work is not as good as Ondrej here.) It just seemed like a natural way to transfer fingerpicking technique to flatpicking my ukes, banjo-uke, and banjo-mandolin.

I use this now on my soprano ukes, one tuned low-G and the other restrung with Aquila fifths for mandolin tuning. I am trying to apply this to my Kala KA6 six-string tenor uke but its strange setup, with the C and A doubled in octaves so the top course contains both the lowest and second-highest strings, is a challenge.

I use the thinnest possible picks on the ukes' composite strings, Jim Dunlop nylon 0.38mm. The strings should last longer this way.

So I'm glad that someone else uses crosspicking on ukulele.

When playing the ukulele using rubber plectrum.

I would not be surprised to find that more than a few ex-guitarists use flatpicks.

I also use a felt plectrum for longevity of nylon strings and dampening of steel strings (so I don't wake my wife!)

Thank you for your feedback. I attach one more video.
Gospel Crosspicking Ukulele with low G Solos "Oh, Sinner man"

I "crosspick" on my guitar uke as the two extra bass strings just beg to be boom chicka d....

Hmmm ...might not be crosspicking then ...might just be Boom Chikka ....ah well...cool vids.....

Thank you for a compliment on my video.
Boom chikka means to me rather Carter style. Thus the melody is played on the bass strings, usually low E, A, and D while rhythm strumming continues above, on the treble strings, high E, B, and G, see picture at Wikipedia.

But crosspicking is played according the pattern when melody is on deep string and chord tones are on other strings.
Please see picture at page 45 http://osos.sweb.cz/preview-ukulele.pdf.
Or see web here.

I came from George Shuffler play.
There is something similar between styles but my videos and arrangments are closer to crosspicking.
At least I've tried :)

Top Bottom