seasonistas play other instruments

It started raining here yesterday. We need it. The driest November on record. I love this Gordon Lightfoot song. My solid acacia Pono parlor guitar sits out on a stand most of the time. I grabbed it this morning and recorded the first and last verses before one of my students came for a lesson.

You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train,
So I'd best be on my way in the early morning rain.

Darn fine strumming and singing Ray!

This one by Lucinda Williams. "I Remember The Wind" From her album "Essence" (2001)

Played here on tenor guitar.

It's the last day of the year. Hogmanay in Scotland, so here's a couple of year end tunes on harmonica.
A quick and dirty recording so there's some extraneous background noises and a few flubs.

With that I wish you a happy new year.

This one is a cover of Johnny Flynn's great song called "The Water." Here I'm just singing. Elisa Louise is playing guitar.

I played the thumb piano, made the drawing and took photos of Graham's garage.

For Graham, Beverley and Jon, with love and gratitude.

Last edited:
I want to share some photos I took. In January, many eagles from northern Wisconsin and Canada fly to my area of Wisconsin in huge numbers. Many of them roost at my local environmental center, only a mile or so from my home. Eagles come here because our river never completely freezes over due to fast-moving rapids, which ensures that the eagles have fish available to them.

This month, there are over 200 eagles on the center's property. I can see many every day flying past my front window which faces the river. Thirty years ago, they were gone from this area because of DDT and other environmental factors. Today, they are thriving. I've been photo-shooting these amazing creatures for a number of years now, and have saved maybe 10,000 photos. I never tire of seeing eagles.

Note that bald eagles do not get their white "bald" heads until they are mature, about five years old. Until then, they have brown or mottled heads, and a variety of chest patterns.

I wrote this song, an instrumental, and played piano on my Korg synth, with help from Band In A Box and GarageBand.

Last edited:
Colombian Cuatro

I have just acquired a Columbian Cuatro. Which has four courses, but 12 strings. The strings are arranged so that the basic four - tuned like a Baritone Ukulele (but with steel strings) are each surrounded by an octave string. So you have eEe bBb gGg dDd where the small case letters represent the octave strings. It gives the instrument a unique jangly sound like a twelve string guitar on steroids.

I thought it was the ideal instument to record this song of mine which I wrote in 1973 when I was 19. This was the first song that convinced me that I actually had some talent as a songwriter. It was also the first one that I remember being gifted by the muse (or my subconscious, if you prefer).... in that the idea for the song came to me out of the blue and the song virtually wrote itself as I played the chord sequence over and over.

I hope you enjoy it.

I recently discovered a podcast called The History of Appalachia Podcast and have been catching up listening to a lot of their older episodes. I heard one this week about the incident that A.P. Carter wrote this song about.

"Misty" played on classical guitar

Just thought I'd share something of my main instrument. A piece from a recital I did a few months ago.

By the way, in case of confusion, you can still call me Liza/Liz on here! :eek:

Flashback - 1964. "Crying Time" (Music and Lyrics by Buck Owens)

Played here with a Martin tenor guitar.

Get Rhythm ...which has been missing recently for me...so an attempt to get it back and get the Mojo flowing again...Fiddle and Variax set to " National Resonator" Geetar setting . New You Tube channel.

Top Bottom