What color is your car (and/or bicycle and/or motorcycle)?

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I happen to be shopping for a car now, and it got me to wondering how you guys decide what color car to get and whether you ended up with the color you wanted. (There was a three-month wait for my first new car, a Honda Civic, and back then you got the color that the dealership had on hand when it called - mine was red). So I thought it would be fun for people to post here the color of their cars and answer a few other questions about the color(s) of your mode(s) of transportation.

(1) What color is your car?
(2) Did you pick that color? If so, why?
(3) What color would your car be if you were able to get the color you wanted?
(4) What color is your bicycle, motorcycle, or other mode of transportation.

I'll go first:

(1) my most recent car was black.
(2) I chose that color as being the best color from a range of colors - silver, white, maroon, dark green, and dark blue - that I didn't particularly like.
(3) This color:
phoenix cab-012a.jpg
(4) My bicycle is black. I wanted a yellow one, or a neon green one, for night visibility, but my bike is cool and I use lots of lights at night.

So, what color(s) are you all transporting yourselves in?

I have a neon green Freedom Ryder Handcycle. Chose it for the late night rides and riding a recumbent. One has to always want to be seen and have a mirror to see behind me; especially riding 14 inches off the ground..

I actually have a bit of a car fetish...I have gone through eleven different cars in the last 20 years. I used to buy new, but ended up upside down a couple of times so the last few have been certified pre-owned.

My current car is white. I seem to go back and forth between black and white and between two car manufacturers as well. I actually wanted grey this time for a change, but the features I wanted were on a white one and none of the dealerships within 50 miles had my car in grey...so white it is. I still think nothing looks better than a black car, but they are so tough to keep clean.

We have a red Kia Soul, which I love love love and highly recommend. We also have a red Ford F-150. Most of my card have been red. I feel safest in red cars. I feel it's one of the most visible cars on the road. It's not my fave color, in general. I just pick it for cars. I've had a lot of cars, and I like custom paint jobs, although I have never had one on my cars. I use to work at a custom auto shop.

My bicycle is also red, but it's just a coincidence. My friend no longer wanted it and gave it to me.

We have a red Kia Soul, which I love love love and highly recommend. We also have a red Ford F-150. Most of my card have been red. I feel safest in red cars. I feel it's one of the most visible cars on the road.
Yes, it's highly visible, same with white cars. Did you know that red and white cars get more moving violations than other colors just because they are so highly visible? I learned that in traffic school after getting a ticket in a white car. :eek:

I drive a silver car. Bought it used so it wasn't like I had a lot of choices. But it's actually better at not showing dirt than white or black.

1) Burgundy.
2) It picked me, as with all of my cars - I've never bought a new car before so I've never been able to choose the color.
3) Bright yellow, as I've heard it's the most visible and therefore safest! Or white, as I've heard it's the second most visible. Although I think that green one would be up there on the visibility scale!
4) My bike is sky blue - I wanted red or blue, so I guess you could say I picked the color.

Car is silver. Not chosen for its colour, but for the fact it was in good condition and the price was right.
Motorbike is black 'cause it was a special edition that only came in black.
Pushbike is matt black. It wasn't a special edition, but that particular model too only came in black.

From a safety point of view I'd prefer a brighter colour on the car so that it was more visible, particularly in bad weather.

Some motorbike manufacturers tend to favour particular colours, normally I would prefer the colour that goes with that make of bike.
Ducati - red, MV Agusta - red and silver, KTM - orange, etc.

I like non-standard and/or low production colors

'11 GMC is Laser Blue Metallic (color not shown in 2011 GMC catalog)
'84 Harley is "factory custom" candy plum/silver
'08 Solstice GXP is "Envious Green" (looks like the older Triumph Spitfire green metallic)
'68 GTO is Mayfair Maize/black vinyl top (owned over 30 years)

Typical production colors:
Trek mountain bike is grey/black
Raleigh Competition G.S. road bike (I used to race in college) is black

Last edited:
Usually prefer white or black, but in 2007 found a 2002 Lexus SC430 in silver. I've had it every since. 8 years! longest I've ever owned a car. The silver color is nice to have. Don't get tired of it and it's easy to maintain.

(1) What color is your car? My Magnum is patriot blue, Challenger is stone white, Volt is black
(2) Did you pick that color? If so, why? Picked all but the Volt. With the I picked the options I wanted and let the color be a surprise.
(3) What color would your car be if you were able to get the color you wanted? I actually want to get a wrap on the Volt Something floral.
(4) What color is your bicycle, motorcycle, or other mode of transportation. I don't have another mode of transport except my feet. They are peachy colored.

Gray, it doesn't show the dirt. Gray. Other method of transportation is my feet. Shoes, sandals, running shoes and flip flops come in various colors.

Funny you should ask this question Mark, as I just went through this same decision a few weeks ago when I had to replace my 13 year old car... My old car was a neutral grey green, that I loved..but I was hit once because they did not see the car, and other times had to quickly move out of the way, because my car blended in too much with the road, etc....So this time I decided to go safe and get a more visible color. (I try not to speed and do follow all the road laws, so I am not that concerned about getting tickets...) So my decision came down to a white or red car...In the end I got red, as it's much easier to find in a big parking lot (as I tend to forget where I parked my car) and the red was just prettier.....

My car is maroon....I hate it....I calls it Moron....no more dark cars!

The cars are both dark blue because they were the best deals at the time: old Ford Explorer is Big Blue and newer Nissan Murano is Baby Blue. (It's all over now...) Cycling: the Trek mountain bikes and BikeE semi-recumbents are red (mine) and light blue (hers) because, well, they just happened that way.

BTW those 'bents are THE most comfortable way to pedal one's butt around. Think of riding a chopper where you're the engine. Actual SEATS (not groin-crushing saddles) with BACKS even! Unlike a full recumbent, where the transition from dead stop to motion can be a bit unsettling, going from zero to five on a 'bent is trivial, takes about three seconds to learn. And they're easily adjusted for anyone from midgets to giants; just slide the seat on the horizontal rail. BikeE, formerly made in Oregon, now out of business, alas.

The Subaru is red (with mud highlights) and the Honda motorcycle is red.
Consistency - the hob-goblin of small minds.

I used to have a Porsche 914 that I received in rough condition and spent a few years restoring myself. It was originally 70's orange and had been re-painted to light blue before I got it, and then was in an accident and had some bodywork done, so by the time I got it I called it "sky blue with clouds." I re-painted it Copenhagen Blau, a really nice dark blue/slate grey 1985 Porsche color used on 928s.

My first new car I purchased was a 1996 Mustang GT, and it is Deep Violet Clearcoat Metallic. It is a dark purple color, which is my favorite color. I had to have that color, and searched several months to find it, finally doing a dealer trade to get it.

I also ended up ordering my Dodge Dakota from the factory in Graphite Metallic (sort of dark silver) and I am happy with that choice as well.

I've found a couple of visible hybrids - a Subaru Crosstrek (green) and the smallest car in the Toyota Prius family, the Prius C (orange). The most visible Prius sedan color is red. I think I'd still prefer taxicab green or taxicab yellow.

subaru-xv-crosstrek-hybrid.jpg 2015-Toyota-Prius-C-13.jpg Toyota-Prius-front-side-red.jpg phoenix cab-012a.jpg prius-yellow-cab.jpg

Last edited:
My car is blue.
Yes, I chose blue. I bought it used, but I shopped for years to find the car I wanted in the color I wanted.
I just like blue cars.
My bicycle is grey. It's an '83 Peugeot. Again, I bought it used, but this time I just bought whatever color I could find in the bike I wanted. I love this bike!

1. silver toyota camry s/w 2001
2. nup. just happened to be an excellent price second hand when I bought it in 05
3. orange
4. skateboard: natural timber and black deck. sneakers: dunlop volleys; fawn and white

(1) I have an 87 Ford ranger that is red, and a '05 Chrysler van that is silver.
(2) Both were used vehicles, so no I didn't pick the color.
(3) Sometimes it depends on the vehicle. Certain vehicles look great in a certain colors.
Black is beautiful if you keep it clean and polished. Sometimes it's hard to keep black clean. Which you might not think it would be. I've seen white cars that hid dirt decently. Which, again, you might not expect. I've seen a pearl metallic color, instead of ice box white, that is very nice.
(4) I have a bicycle that is a deep red color.

Last edited:
Top Bottom