Side by side sound comparison between Worth strings and Seaguar fishing line

bazmaz

Reaction score
The video I should have probably done from the off.

In my view this shows a couple of things

1. Whilst there are slight differences, I think both make perfectly passable ukulele strings
2. I am not sure a lot of people would be able to tell them apart in a blindfold test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOLP7MtXpOI

The benefit of using a fishing line is not very clear to me. Good fishing line is expensive and sold in large quantities.
Except having 20 ukulélés you want to set up all with the same strings I do not see any interest for the average uke player.
A given string is never the best for every ukulele. Some ukuleles are better with one string and another with other strings.

Thanks - interesting. I'll look in to that because £8 or so every time I need to replace metre or two of nylon (which being left-handed is every time I buy a new uke for starters) seems rather much to me. I did buy Worth strings last time though so got two for the price of slightly less than two!

Pickinguker - that wasn't the point of my experiment.

I think it can be an option for those with lots of ukes. I think it can also be an option for ukulele clubs and societies to club together to buy cheap strings for all members. But most of all, I did it to challenge brand loyalties that some people get overly animated about. It was to show that the differences were slight because, when it comes to fluorocarbon at least, they are all essentially made of the same stuff.

Many luthiers also use these as a cheaper way of stringing their ukes without paying brands a premium.

I think it would be interesting to know who actually produces the flourocarbon for whom. As in, D'Addario produces some strings for Ko'olau, just in a slightly different diameter. I have read that there are actually only a few string manufacturers who make the strings for the many.

Interesting comparison. I thought the Seaguar line was a little brighter than the Worth Browns. I wonder if the there would be any difference between the clear fishing line and Worth clears, which are brighter than the browns.

To my ears there is no discernible difference between Seaguar and Worth on feel or tone. But that may just be me.

I have been careful not to make assumptions as to who makes what, as frankly, I don't know. I believe D'Addario may have their own extruder - Aquila certainly do. Not sure about others.

But that wasn't really the point of the whole experiment.

Old Thread. BUT, I ALWAYS use Seaguar as it lets me customize my sets. I play a 19 inch scale tenor and the majority of string sets I've tried just don't do it for me. The Seaguars do. Yes I fish so the strings actually do double duty :)

Mark

Old Thread. BUT, I ALWAYS use Seaguar as it lets me customize my sets. I play a 19 inch scale tenor and the majority of string sets I've tried just don't do it for me. The Seaguars do. Yes I fish so the strings actually do double duty :)

Mark

when I first started to play the uke MGM(Mike Aratani) told me the Worths are Seaguar fishing line (fluorocarbon) or made by the same company....I have seen many threads saying this to?

Top Bottom