Uke New Jersey 3! August 28-30, 2015 in Morristown, NJ

ScooterD35

Reaction score
On August 28, 29 & 30 we will return to the Mansion in Morristown, NJ for Uke New Jersey Too!

We start on Friday night with a concert, followed by workshops, open mics, vendors, jams, camaraderie all day Saturday and finish up with another concert on Saturday night, with a free Sunday Jam In The Park hosted by The Morristown Uke Jam Meetup group.

This year's lineup:

Li'l Rev
Sarah Maisel
Craig Chee
Jim & Liz Beloff
Steve Boisen
Christine DeLeon
(so far…)

The website is up and running now with early-bird pricing and live ticket links.

Special early bird pricing through July 15: $70 for the entire event!

After July 15:

Full Event $80
Friday night concert $20
Saturday all day and night $65
Saturday workshops only $50
Saturday night concert only $20
Friday & Saturday concerts only $40

Children 12 and under are admitted free, but must be listed on their parent's or guardian's registration form.
All attendees 16 and under must be accompanied by a paid parent or guardian.
Student discounts available; call for more information (908-229-1214)

Details and registration can be found right here:

http://www.folkproject.org/ukefest/ukefest.shtml

Any questions? Just call me at 908-229-1214

Scooter

Last edited:
Wow! What a great line-up! Okay, I'm definitely there this year!

My first thought was, "Great! That's far enough away I can probably make it!"

Followed by "Ooooohhh,,, That's labor Day Weekend. Not gonna be getting off of work for that one."

Maybe next year...

-Kurt​

Uhm. Nice lineup. Looks like I'll be able to make it. Keeping my fingers crossed

My first thought was, "Great! That's far enough away I can probably make it!"
Followed by "Ooooohhh,,, That's labor Day Weekend. Not gonna be getting off of work for that one."
Maybe next year...
-Kurt​

I thought it was labor day too but I just checked my calendar and it's the week before. Gonna try to make it.

I attended last years festival and was not disappointed. Super location, no hassle parking and lots of activities with a great "Superstar" lineup.

We're gonna have some fun with Sarah and Craig this year. Our festival is their last gig before they get married.

Scooter

I'm going to try and make it for Saturday... No guarantee, but the desire is there.

Let's see if the time and money join it.

-Kurt​

Concert schedule will be:

Friday night - Christine DeLeon, Steve Boisen, Craig Chee

Saturday night - Jim & Liz Beloff, Sarah Maisel, Li'l Rev

I finally have workshop submissions from everyone, so I will make my selections and post them ASAP.

Thanks,

Scooter

I finally have workshop submissions from everyone, so I will make my selections and post them ASAP.

Thanks,

Scooter

So Craig Chee and Sarah Maisel will not be performing together? That seems strange, but I'm still looking forward to this!!

Actually, they will likely start their sets alone and end together. All of these folks are old friends, so we can expect a great deal of musical cross-pollination!

Scooter

Oh, well.. I waited too long, and the "time off" list at work was filled, so I have to miss this one.

Maybe another time...

-Kurt​

Thanks,

Scooter

What time will activities start on Saturday?

Craig
Ukulele Boot Camp - All Levels
Craig’s ever adapting Boot Camp will dive into a ton of exercises that will help strengthen and quicken your fingers as well as focus on your tone. He will then show how these exercises are applied to intermediate and even advanced techniques to take you to the next level! ‘Ukulele beginners to intermediates will have lots to chew on as there are many variations for all levels.

Craig's Ridiculously Non-Intimidating Intro to Music Theory on the 'Ukulele! – Beginner-Advanced
Craig will give you that jump start in learning about basic music theory and how it's applied on the 'ukulele. By the end of the class you'll know why chords are named the way they are, how to anticipate chord changes, utilize this new knowledge to start improvising and be able to play chord shapes all over the neck!

Sarah
Who needs a Chord book? – Intermediate-Advanced
We have all gotten stumped at some point because there was a chord in a song that we did not know, and we had no way to figure it out. With this workshop, we will discuss how chords are made and how to create them on the ukulele, all without using a book. It will be a fun way to learn your fret board and discover more about the joy of music and chords.

Doo-Wop Till You Drop – All Levels
This workshop focuses on popular progressions, including Doo-Wop, Blues, and Pop. With those we will also discuss holding the instrument, barre chords, and creating efficiency while playing. It’s a perfect class for the beginner ‘ukulele player, though experienced

Christine DeLeon

Songwriting Tricks and Tools

Christine has been writing songs and performing them for 30 years. Influenced by
writers such as John Denver, Indigo Girls andShawn Colvin, she then took her training to the next level studying the craft with Dar Williams and David Roth. *In this session, you’ll be treated to demonstrations of the methods and gadgets for your song writing tool box plus exercises in creative expression as it applies to songwriting. *The group will learn about song structure rules and perhaps even the reasons for breaking them as part of the goal of building great songs.

Jim Beloff
Ukulele 101- Absolute Beginner
Taking the new ukeist from square one and setting them on the path to musical freedom! If you’ve never played a Uke before, this is the workshop to start with.

Strum along with Jumpin Jim - All Levels
Join Jumpin' Jim as you explore some of the songs from The Daily Ukulele: Leap Year Edition. Along the way, Jim will teach strums, chords and other techniques. Fun for the entire festival!

Steve Boisen
Bass Ukulele 101
In the past few years, ukulele-sized basses have grown in popularity and many ukulele clubs have now incorporated these instruments into their activities. Join professional bassist Steve Boisen as he offers some tips to guide you on your trip down the “low road”. He’ll offer technical tips and “bass”-ics that will help you add invaluable rhythmic and harmonic support to your ukulele group.
Tin Pan Alley and the Ukulele
The ukulele enjoyed it’s initial wave of popularity during the era many consider the “Golden Age” of American songwriting. Most of the sheet music from this period included ukulele chords and it’s no surprise that these classic songs still sound great on the Uke. Join Steve as he shares some of his favorites from this era and offers tips on how to add some vintage “pizzazz” to these songs by using different strums, modulations, turnarounds, intros and endings. This workshop is open to all levels, but attendees will get the most from this workshop if they can already play basic chords on their ukulele.

Li’l Rev
A Treasury of Two Chord Songs - All Levels

This fun repertoire class is an opportunity to fill your back pocket with a ton of great two chord songs, use em to teach others how to play the ukulele, or dress em up*with solos, hot strums. Don’t be fooled, you can do a lot of exciting things with a two chord song. 15 Two Chord Songs including: New Orleans, Folk, Old Time, Bluegrass, Rock, Country, Original and more.*

Learning*The Travis Harrelson Triple Roll - Intermediate

This exciting workshop will tap into the legacy of the late-great Travis Harrelson of Seal Beach, CA. Travis had an unstoppable right hand and first came to the attention of the ukulele world through Jumping Jim. Li’l Rev had the great pleasure to spend time jamming with Travis and learned this strum from him. It combines a triplet and a roll stroke into one flowing strum, highly effective when you want*to rhythmically accentuate various parts of a song.

12 Essential Strums - All Levels

This workshop teaches 12 strumming patterns that will lift you out of the down-up-down-up doldrums. Learn how to play genre based strums that will help you sound more authentic*when you dip into reggae, calypso, blues, rock, punk, doo-wop, Irish, waltz, and more.

Schedules

Saturday Workshop Schedule

9:30 - 10:45

Ukulele for the Absolute Beginner - Jumpin’ Jim Beloff

Introduction to Ukulele Bass - Steve Boisen

Learning*The Travis Harrelson Triple Roll Li’l Rev

11:00 - 12:15

Doo-Wop Till You Drop - Sarah Maisel
Songwriting de-mystified - Christine DeLeon
Craig's Ridiculously Non-Intimidating Intro to Music Theory on the ‘Ukulele! - Craig Chee

12:15 - 1:30

Lunch/Open Mic

1:30 - 2:45

12 Essential Strums - Li’l Rev

Ukulele Boot Camp - Craig Chee
Tin Pan Alley and the Ukulele - Steve Boisen

3:00 - 4:15
Who needs a Chord book? - Sarah Maisel
A Treasury of Two Chord Songs Li’l Rev

4:30 - 5:45

Strum along with Jumpin’ Jim - Jim Beloff

5:45 - 7:15

Dinner/Open Mic

Concert Schedule

Friday

8:00pm Christine deLeon

8:35pm Steve Boisen

9:10pm Break

9:40pm Craig Chee

Saturday

8:00pm Jim & Liz Beloff

8:35pm Sarah Maisel

9:20pm Break

9:50pm Li’l Rev

10:40pm Finale

Last edited:
There are several in the area in the $89 range, but for $100 you can stay at the Westin Governor Morris Inn about 1/2 mile from the venue. That is a very high end hotel. The reviews on google are pretty accurate, and if you check Priceline the ones in East Hanover, Whippany and Parsippany are all within 15-20 minutes drive.

Scooter
908-229-1214

Last edited:
Top Bottom