Spruce top or Cedar top (Mainland Tenor)

Art.Vandelay

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm looking into buying my first solid wood tenor. I currently have a Mainland mahogany concert size as well as a laminate tenor from Kala. I'm not really loving the Kala that much tbh. The sound is pretty good but not as great as my mainland (although I know solid wood to laminate isnt a fair comparison) and it just feels a bit clumsy. I might be crazy but it feels much larger than other tenors I've played around with. Its very wide. I was fairly shocked when I got it cause it was so much larger than my Mainland. Wasn't expecting the size jump from concert to tenor to be that big. Maybe I just don't like the tenor size? I really don't think thats it though, because seeing pictures of tenors next to concerts the size jump isnt as apparent. I really think the Kala is just very large but maybe I'm just crazy..

But anyway, I love the look, feel, and sound of the Mainland so I'm thinking about getting another one of those in the tenor size this time. I absolutely love the look of a spruce top uke. Its something about that contrast of light and dark that I love. However, I'm a little worried about the sound it may produce. I've heard that its an "in your face" sound, some say too bright, etc.

I mainly play guitar type songs just because they are more popular and known to me. I'd say I do about an equal amount of picking and strumming. I will likely be putting on Worth strings, maybe with low-g as I like the added range for strumming though I'm definitely not utilizing it as well as I can in picking. I've heard that Cedar is more of a guitar type sound which may lend itself better to the type of songs I play. I've looked up comparisons and sound samples but tbh between variations in recordings, strings, and brands, its impossible to really tell.. I just love the look of the spruce but don't want to compromise sound for looks.

Would love any and all inputs on these two woods (and maybe someone can tell me if I'm crazy in thinking that the mainland tenor will be less clumsy and large compared to the Kala I have..)

Thanks!

Last edited:
IMHO I'd say the red cedar Mainlands are the creme de la creme of Mainlands. The cedar is really warm and the rosewood adds bags of volume. They're all great but I've found the spruce Mainlands don't quite have the depth of sound that the cedars have.

I've not tried the Spruce-top model. The Cedar-top is an excellent instrument with lovely sound. Anything I like any better would cost twice as much.

Heard a cedar topped Mainland at TBUG and it sounded awesome!

Wow! lots of love for the cedar! My only gripe is that the look is quite similar to mahogany. I kinda wanted a different look like the spruce has. But obviously the most important factor for me is sound.

I'd be interested in Spruce top....... myself because I like the extra clear crisp definition of spruce for finger picking. The only sound sample I have heard is one Mike at Uke Republic did. Its nice but has Aquila string which aren't my favourite. Post if you go Spruce. I'm looking at a custom but for the price of spruce I may just get one to have around and Mod. By the way, the new Aquila Lava strings are excellent. Very musical. Nice high end. Much better tension and no floppiness or or boominess <g> on the C string. FWIW

I'd be interested in Spruce top....... myself because I like the extra clear crisp definition of spruce for finger picking. The only sound sample I have heard is one Mike at Uke Republic did. Its nice but has Aquila string which aren't my favourite. Post if you go Spruce. I'm looking at a custom but for the price of spruce I may just get one to have around and Mod. By the way, the new Aquila Lava strings are excellent. Very musical. Nice high end. Much better tension and no floppiness or or boominess <g> on the C string. FWIW

I'm definitely interesting in improving my finger picking abilities, although I really love strumming too. Ideally I'd have four ukes, two each of tenor and concert, with high g and low g in each size. For now, I'm rockin the low g worths on the concert and high g Lavas on the tenor, but before I had it reversed. What I've been doing (before my recent switch) is playing more traditional uke songs on the concert and more guitar type songs on the tenor with low g. However, when it comes to finger picking songs its both cause it just depends how it should sound. For example, some instrumentals I like the high g and I'm working on gently weeps which uses high g, and then recently playing songs like stairway to heaven and hallelujah the low g just sounds brilliant.

I'm off on a tangent now lol anyway, moral of the story is I both strum, pick, and use high and low g on both sizes so I don't want to buy a wood that leans heavily one way or another. I'm worried if spruce isnt full enough for strumming or if cedar is too full/warm/mellow/whatever the word is for picking.

Cedar looks like Mahogany, to you?

Well its not an identical color, no, but what I mean is one is brownish and one is red/orange/brownish. Compared to a spruce which is not even similar in the least.

Whatever you choose, you will be the Master of Your Domain!! LOL

Found a video by Mim comparing a spruce top and a cedar top (although they are Pono pro classics, not mainlands), so now I see what is meant by "crisper/clearer" vs "warmer/fuller." Still a very hard decision for me nonetheless lol. It almost seems like you can much more easily hear the different notes from the spruce where as the cedar is more blended, almost muddled? Both sound really nice but have their separate weaknesses. Maybe I can get the spruce and mellow it out a bit with some Worth strings.

When in doubt, flip a coin. Otherwise you'll be second guessing when you could be playing. Southcoast strings will make it come alive, no matter the wood..

Maybe I can get the spruce and mellow it out a bit with some Worth strings.

This may be backward thinking. A warm sound is one that contains more color. It's been my experience that you can't add color with strings. You can add brightness to a warm instrument, but add darkness or warmth to a bright one? All you accomplish is making it more quiet. If you're trying to get the best of both worlds, better to go with the cedar and work your way toward the brighter sound using technique (first) and strings.

This may be backward thinking. A warm sound is one that contains more color. It's been my experience that you can't add color with strings. You can add brightness to a warm instrument, but add darkness or warmth to a bright one? All you accomplish is making it more quiet. If you're trying to get the best of both worlds, better to go with the cedar and work your way toward the brighter sound using technique (first) and strings.

I see what you mean. Thanks for your input on this. I guess the safer bet is to go with the cedar. I just love the look of that spruce top, although the rosewood on the cedar is gorgeous.

I'm actually gonna wait till Mims store goes back online till I make a decision. Even though I'm fairly set on mainland just based on familiarity I might as well check out the Ohanas she has for sale as well!

Just get one of each!

I love my Mainland mahogany concert. I am planning on getting the spruce tenor, and cedar soprano.

Just get one of each!

I love my Mainland mahogany concert. I am planning on getting the spruce tenor, and cedar soprano.

Hahahah if only my budget allowed for that! I'll probably end up getting a spruce tenor in the future anyway, I really want one with low g and one with high g. That decision is WAY to hard lol

Top Bottom