Couple of naive baritone questions

CGCE71

Reaction score
Hello. Just joined here and have first of all some questions about my baritone ukulele, which I've had just over a week. It's a Barnes & Mullins costing just over 150 British pounds, spruce and spalted maple, maple neck I think.

It came with Aquila strings on with none of them wound, though I think still tuned DGBE. I'm left-handed so my first job was to convert the uke. Having done my own guitar maintenance for fifteen years I had good tools. I had seen a friend's baritone a few times which eventually made me get decisive about buying one after considering it a few years.

It's not a bad instrument but is a bit underwhelming and I suspect a factory second as it's finish is quite haphazard (bubbles, whitish miscolorations in some lights, absolutely minimal buffing with visible swirls, chipped bits of spruce under the varnish etc) and the neck binding uses two different colour bits of wood, the right side almost looking like they forgot to bind it.

Anyway I wanted to ask if these measurements are average for a baritone ukulele. The string spacing at the nut is 29 mm, at the saddle it's 38 mm. Around the fifteenth fret on the bass side there is about 8 mm of gap from the fingerboard edge, 5 mm on the treble side at that fret. My friend's uke has around the guitar norm of 2 1/2 mm of gap between string and fretboard edge at the nut end where mine is about 4 mm. So does it vary or might they have slapped a tenor's bridge and nut on mine or something or the factory worker used tenor measurements? It's not uncomfortable but I'm strongly considering replacing the nut and have the blank nut ready. Not so sure or comfortable about drilling new holes at the bridge to widen the spacing there but it may not be necessary.

The relief at the 7th fret seems not dangerously out but is more noticeable than most guitars I've had, maybe just under the thickness of a uke's E string. The uke certainly has a stiffer feel than my friend's. his action is lower admittedly. I've lowered mine and am considering going further but fortuitously the right-handed saddle is about perfect for using with two wound strings and left-handed playing without being reversed or otherwise altered, as the 'b bump' compensation is in the same place as it is on a guitar. The action is now about 2 1/4 mm at the 12th fret, both sides, maybe fractionally lower on the treble side.

I have altered the nut slots on three different days thinking if I do eventually go too far I can just put the new nut on. So far all is well and the intonation has drastically improved with the alterations. The action at that end is maybe a hair higher than I'd use for a steel string acoustic guitar, but with the current stiffness there is no danger of buzzing and I may try and have a fourth and last nut slot filing session tomorrow.

At the last string change I had D'addario titanium trebles from a baritone uke set and the bottom two are D'addario classical guitar strings, a .028 and a .034, slightly thinner than came with the titanium set. I thought I'd go lighter to see how much the 7th fret relief changed and may try a .024 and a .032 but if the sound weakens that'll be a one-off.

Normally I would tune a semi-tone lower on guitar but I'm due to have a jam with the friend and wanted to get used to concert pitch, otherwise the 7th fret relief might be normal when tuned Db Gb Bb Eb. I did wonder if the maple neck is weaker than, say, a mahogany one - my Indonesian G&L stratocaster has a maple neck and is the most flexi neck I've ever had, quite annoyingly so at times when tuning.

Okay, hope I don't sound like I'm babbling, I know this is a bit techy but hopefully people have been here and will know what to say.

Many thanks in advance.

[If you're wondering, I didn't return the uke as I didn't notice flaws until I'd starting cutting the nut. The dealer has partially compensated me with a gig bag but they were certainly happy to get out of doing more.]

One of my baritone ukuleles has a string spacing at the nut of 29mm and 45mm at the saddle. Ukulele sting spacing varies quite a bit as there are no under string pickups keeping things standard.

There is a 4-5mm gap between the D and E strings and the edge of the fingerboard. It sounds like your action was high but don't go as low as on a steel stringed instrument. The nylon/nylgut/flurocarbon strings vibrate further than steel strings.

Also are your Aquila strings Red in colour?

Aquila Reds are unwound but Aquila Nylguts have wound D and G strings in a Baritone DGBE set.

Have fun.

Anthony

I can't help with the spacing but on the action, if you got it to 2.25mm without buzzing that is quite low action for a uke. My Bruko baritone is still around 3mm and that is after I lowered it as far as I dared. I ordered a tenor with 2mm action and it buzzed so bad I shimmed the saddle up to about 2.3-2.5mm.

On the drop tuning idea, hey, what ever feels and sounds good, go for it. You can always capo on the first fret to play with others if need be.

Welcome to UU!

These Aquila strings were whitish all unwound strings - could the dealer have put tenor strings on or something?

What did you think of how the 7th fret relief sounds on my uke? Normal? (Holding 1st and body fret down there is just under an e string's clearance at the 7th fret.)

Jim, I see your Bruko is tuned a tone higher. Concidentally I've found I really liked mine with a capo at the second fret, so the same notes. So are you using lighter strings on that instrument? Even with my low action I think that'd be a bit painful tuned up with the current strings, and I'm used to acoustic guitar strings.

Thanks.

If the strings are genuine Aquila Nylguts for a baritone, AND all unwound then they would be a gCEA set, not a DGBE set. Try tuning them up to gCEA. If you want DGBE then you will need a new set of strings.

A little neck relief is fine. Its when the neck bends back that you have to worry.

Anthony

If the strings are genuine Aquila Nylguts for a baritone, AND all unwound then they would be a gCEA set, not a DGBE set. Try tuning them up to gCEA. If you want DGBE then you will need a new set of strings.

My wife just got a baritone with white, non-wound, Aquila strings tuned D-G-B-E. The tension feels as tight as it should be. I wouldn't tune these to gCEA for fear of breaking them.

There were three baritones in the store of the same brand. All were of different woods (spalted maple, mahogany, zebrawood). All had different sets of Aquila strings tuned DGBE. One bari had two wound strings, one bari had one wound string, and none of the strings were wound on the third bari.

The manufacturer site says they ship their Ukuleles with Aquila strings. I asked the shop owner whether he'd changed out any of the string sets, and he said no. He loaned us a tuner, and all three were tuned DGBE.

Last edited:
Jim, I see your Bruko is tuned a tone higher. Concidentally I've found I really liked mine with a capo at the second fret, so the same notes. So are you using lighter strings on that instrument? Even with my low action I think that'd be a bit painful tuned up with the current strings, and I'm used to acoustic guitar strings.
The Bruko is 19" scale. I ordered a set of Living Water "custom" baritone strings but I'm pretty sure they are the same gauges as the low G tenor set. Anyway, with the shorter scale they just seemed too floppy at DGBE but felt and sounded great a step higher. I'm sure you could get a Southcoast set for EAC#F# too.

My first Barnes & Mullins (Brunswick brand) baritone came with a set of DGBE black ghs, strings. My second came with a set of DGBE Aquilas, high D if I remember correctly.

Why I bought two similar instruments is of no consequence to this thread ... there was nothing wrong with either instrument, I just preferred the blonde to the brunette and traded one for the other ;)

That's now tuned GDAE with a "mix & match" set of strings and gets a lot of playing time :)

OK, well string wise if the non wound baritone strings have enough tension at DGBE then the other option is that they are FAKE Aquila strings and not genuine.

Genuine Aquila NYLGUT baritone, DGBE strings have 2 wound strings. Genuine Aqulia Nylgut strings for a baritone that are ALL unwound are designed to be tuned gCEA.

Anthony

Top Bottom