Season 171 - "The Many Moods of ..."

My homies checking in:

I've already got my three moods with an original in there too. Just trying to figure which uke for which song.

Righteous, John. I think this is a chance for us to bring some stuff we've been working on but haven't had the right Season to plug 'em into. Really looking forward to what you bring this Season!

Yay, multiple personalities week. Should be fun Brian! I hope to get at least one in for you.

I'm counting on you being there, Sean! Y'all are representing the home team.

That goes for you too, Ralf, Russ, and John!!

Last edited:
Hey Brian, thanks for hosting this week. What a cool, complete idea. Can't wait to see everyone showing their many moods. Hats off for all the work you'll be putting in this week.

For me, I have been working through The Daily Ukulele (I got up to K I think) but now I'm into classical. I have to improve my fingerstyle a lot to get where I want to be. Nevertheless here's my stab at a little John King Bach. Thank you very much.

Well the entries have all been very strong thus far. Just fabulous stuff, and just the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear.

I'm off for a cloudy afternoon at the Oregon coast with the family, and I won't be able to check anything out 'til later this evening. I'll update the playlist, and submit the first of UkeFoote's "Many Moods". This is my own ukulele reduction of Ferdinando Carulli's early 19th C classical guitar piece "Siciliana":

SOTU 171 - The Forgiven

Since I don't have the capacity or equipment to do any really fancy multi-tracking, so I can't really do a high-tech vs. low-tech kind of thing, I thought I'd go for emotionally/thematically different songs. I have two picked out so far with time for a third but I haven't figured out what to do for #3 yet.

The first one is by David Ramirez, a singer/songwriter from Dallas, Texas. Most of his songs are not as overtly "religious" (or whatever word you want to use to describe it) as this one. It's a song that I empathize with strongly and I think is a "heavy" song thematically. I plan for song #2 to be much lighter and more playful than this one.

Recorded outside, and it isn't as perfect as I'd like but is the only take I could get that didn't have intrusive noises coming in from the distance. Recording outside is still quite new to me and it's much more difficult than inside where I can mostly control background noise. I think this one has only wind and bird songs, which is what I was hoping for. What would be the point of recording outside without catching a few bird songs in the background?

Birding done- had a good day. Now for some Ukulele music and a cocktail on the front porch.
Dwight Yoakam song here.

This one is very different from my first entry. For this one, I laid down a uke/vocal track, then added another uke and two more vocal tracks. Then I grabbed my keyboard, launched GarageBand, and added drums, a bass, and some piano sounds.

I first heard this song yesterday, it's from a recent Old Crow Medicine Show album a friend played it for me, and I decided it was a toe-tapper! Hope you like it.

Last edited:
My self-challenge for this week is improving my songwriting. I'm co-writing this song (or pair of songs...) with another person who has been reading my solo stuff and advising me for a while. This video was done as a sketch, one of several we've sent back and forth with ideas added. I think it's getting close to completion but the weird part is I think I want to write another song from the perspective of the woman in this relationship. Here's tonight's entry anyway.

Last edited:
Here is an original I wrote this morning, I recorded it on the MacBook I'm using temporarily, because the other stopped working, so it is not the quality I am used to (and why I recorded the previous ones with my iPad). I've added an acoustic uke-bass track and a rainmaker track. This is called you can't always be happy. Lyrics have been linked to on youtube.

Last edited:
Cool "no theme" week, Brian! LOVE your introductory video. Percy is so cute! I can understand how distracted many cat-lovers are, watching your video. I was! But not as bad as CeeJay. I think he is ruined now. Hehe.

I will be working on a few videos for this. Thanks for such a fun theme! oh, and the CD looks good too!

Cool "no theme" week, Brian! LOVE your introductory video. Percy is so cute! I can understand how distracted many cat-lovers are, watching your video. I was! But not as bad as CeeJay. I think he is ruined now. Hehe.

I will be working on a few videos for this. Thanks for such a fun theme! oh, and the CD looks good too!

Sorry ? Is there a Season this week ? I was watching a perfectly good fillum about a Moggy called Percy .

There was somebody talking in the background..oops ..have I missed something ?? Again :smileybounce:

Hi Percy . Is your Human treating you properly ?
You'll get them trained soon , takes a while.

Sorry ? Is there a Season this week ? I was watching a perfectly good fillum about a Moggy called Percy .

There was somebody talking in the background..oops ..have I missed something ?? Again :smileybounce:

Hi Percy . Is your Human treating you properly ?
You'll get them trained soon , takes a while.

Earth to Ceejay... it's time to come down from your "catatonic" state. And considering that I have about fifty little punctures in my legs from being used as a moggy climbing pole whilst sitting at the dining table, I'm hoping my training is nearing its end.

Earth to Ceejay... it's time to come down from your "catatonic" state. And considering that I have about fifty little punctures in my legs from being used as a moggy climbing pole whilst sitting at the dining table, I'm hoping my training is nearing its end.

Aha, he is using you well, My Padowan ...

Right, Paws for Thought.

Moody and No Theme.... mmmmm ....Better get my thinking cat ....Cap....on then.

SOTU 171 - Play Something Sweet

Mood #2. Been working on this song for some time and it's still difficult to play but I don't think it sounds completely horrible anymore.

Original by Allen Toussaint, also covered by Three Dog Night, also sometimes known as "Brickyard Blues."

I'm working on an original for #3. I wanted to do it outside today since I'm off work for the holiday, but it just keeps raining. Not hard, but any rain at all means I'm not taking a camera or a uke outside. I hope it stops raining before the end of the week. We have now left "drought stage" so far behind it seems like a distant memory. Floods are now wiping out roads, bridges, and people's houses and have resulted in several deaths. My house is safe, though. We are on a hill and the entire southern half of Texas would have to be underwater for this place to flood. We easily survived the flood of 1998, which was the worst this area has had in recorded history--although the highway was flooded and we couldn't get more than about 2 miles away from the house for 3 days.

So here's a happy, light-hearted little song for #2.

Last edited:
Many thanks for hosting Ukefoote and boy what a theme really looking forward to getting stuck in, well infact i managed to record three songs today up in the attic.

Here is my first song of three all recorded today. I have chosen three artists who are amongst my favourites and thus i do not like to record there work as i do not feel i can do it justice .But i have been noodling these tunes for months and thought what the hell i will record them all for the moods of ukuleleDaveey.
This first song i also (attempted ) the harmonica i purchased it specifically for this song yesterday (sunday) and have never played one before (and maybe never again).

To be BEV-like: "NOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOooooooo... " But seriously, I don't want to intrude on or pre-empt something you're working on for Season 170, but if you don't finish it in time to post it there, it's certainly welcome in 171 because you can post any video you want this week. It would also be nice to hear something you love to play that you've never had a chance to post for a Season.
By the way, my friend San Francisco friend Jack Bradley hails from Berryville. I think he graduated hs in '76. Any chance you know him (or the other notorious Berryville Bradleys)?

I was thinking of posting to both Season's as some do when the Seasons match however there is no way it's getting done now, or even in the future perhaps ):
It's a small world! I don't happen to know any Bradleys but I've got a friend who know practically everybody round here. I've only lived here for 10 years. I was raised in So. San Francisco.

Well here is my second song for this weeks theme, a fab song by the Super Fury Animals (also wearing their bobble hat, i purchased at there gig the other week)
For those of you that dont know a minger (which is in the lyrics) is :- minger, noun: minger; plural noun: mingers, an unattractive or unpleasant person or thing. ( I just found out it is very old scottish gaelic and boy it is a filthy rude word back in oldern days , ooops).

Last edited:
171/1

Here's my first. A simple arrangement of something from the 80s.

I've been at a lovely small uke festival this weekend and one of the acts in the Saturday afternoon concert sang this. It was originally recorded by Yazoo who were Vince Clarke (synths) and Alison Moyet (Vocals) and then later by the Flying Pickets who were a harmony vocal group (Yazoo later changed their name to Yaz as someone else had already used the name Yazoo). I don't think they made much impact outside the UK but Alison Moyet had a fabulous voice and later had quite a successful solo career.

I confess I have a soft spot for 80s synth music.

Last edited:
Top Bottom