KoAloha Soprano, Concert, and Tenor comparisons

rappsy

Reaction score
As a KoAloha guy with a tenor necked concert (KCM-02) and a Tenor (KTMS-00 thinline), I was fascinated to learn that they have a Tenor Neck soprano.

Does anyone have a sound sample or video of the comparisons of the three, perhaps in one video, and if lucky, having the player switch Ukes during the video to hear the differences?

For those that have it or have heard it, what is your opinion? Does the soprano KoAloha follow in the tradition of it's larger siblings and become a sound cannon as well? Do you find it more like a concert than a soprano? What about finger picking compare to strumming?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing about a tenor neck on a soprano body makes any sense to me. High string tension, unbalanced. And dog ugly. I would buy one or the other rather than try to cover two bases and end up with Frankenstein.

There's one on HMS now with a Memorial Day weekend discount. There is a video of Corey strumming and picking on it.

I had one, sold it, and wish I had kept it for the unique sound. No other way to get such volume, long sustain, and high fretboard fingerings with a standard soprano. They are head-heavy and a strap, even when playing in seated, is mandatory. They use concert strings and a concert case.

Last edited:
C'mon Jon don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. ;)

I went through a period of trying to get a 16" soprano, just because. Even ordered a custom build from a luthier who seemed up for the challenge. When the instrument was complete, I was excited, but the pics he sent didn't look right. Turns out he put a 17" tenor neck on it "by mistake". I considered taking it anyway but ultimately passed on it since it wasn't what I ordered and i didn't want another "tenor". He sold it pretty quickly, so no real harm done. I'm not saying I wouldn't own one - my tastes *do* tend towards the quirky and unusual - but at this point it would serve no role not covered by another uke in my collection.

I've played an unfinished version of one (it hadn't been sprayed) when I was visiting the KoAloha factory.

Reminds me of a Pineapple Sunday in tone.

As it so happens, Andreas David has recently made a video comparing all the different KoAloha models. The video is in German, but you can compare the sound anyway. The comparison of the three different tenor neck models starts at 9:53:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpZ-K39t5gM

I have the Pineapple Sunday, which is essentially a tenor neck on a soprano sized body. It's the only tenor scale instrument I own outside of a KoAloha D-VI guitalele. I love it for when I need a little more room up the neck. It sounds and plays great. If you like KoAloha's bright sound, you should love it.

Personally I thought the Koaloha sounded the most tenor like. I could hear the tenor in that long neck. I thought the OS had a very traditional sound and not nearly as guitar like as the Koaloha. The Ohana had the most traditional uke sound imo. I won't buy a long neck soprano after listening to this video so you saved me a likely mistake.

However my opinion is usually at odds with the majority sound wise.

the problem I see with these hybrids is that the bridge needs to be moved from the usual spot on the soundboard to accomidate the different scales, and it doesn't always work out in comfort or tone . I tried a long neck concert and it didn't "fit" me well. I had a sceptre tenor and it did. so just sticking a longer neck on may not work.

Top Bottom