Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to sing and play more effectively

for me, if I have to think about what I am playing I will screw up. I like to say "Do I have the song under my fingers?"
    I am not talking about memorizing it, but do I know what I need to do and expect. then I just let it rip. a lot of the time if you are focused on playing perfectly, picking just right, strumming just right, you cant focus on the actual music. a lot of the time I make it mine. I play generally how the song goes, but I also make it mine.
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

Sometimes, if I'm having trouble strumming and chording AND singing the words, I will hum or whistle the tune until I get it all going. Then, later, I can add the words--maybe . . .

Just when I think I got it all together, somthin' else pops up. I wonder if anyone ever finishes learning.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Fingerpick

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDG Fingerpick

Luna "Peace" concert - Hi-C GDA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA Strum

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - Wallhanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Wallhanger
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    Sometimes, if I'm having trouble strumming and chording AND singing the words, I will hum or whistle the tune until I get it all going. Then, later, I can add the words--maybe . . .

Just when I think I got it all together, somthin' else pops up. I wonder if anyone ever finishes learning.
    I'm never going to have it all together, so I'm never surprised when I don't. Might as well face it Dick, we're going to be working at it for the rest of our lives. That's ok though. I mean, what else would we be doing, if we weren't doing what we're doing?
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I can think of three great things right off the bat!
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Fingerpick

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDG Fingerpick

Luna "Peace" concert - Hi-C GDA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA Strum

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - Wallhanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Wallhanger
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

I know, I know! I could be setting on a lounge chair on the beach, surf fishing and playing my Ocarina.

Quote Originally Posted by ukeeku View Post
    for me, if I have to think about what I am playing I will screw up. I like to say "Do I have the song under my fingers?"
    I am not talking about memorizing it, but do I know what I need to do and expect. then I just let it rip. a lot of the time if you are focused on playing perfectly, picking just right, strumming just right, you cant focus on the actual music. a lot of the time I make it mine. I play generally how the song goes, but I also make it mine.
    I think that is the beauty of cover songs. You are comfortable with the song in general but you are not slavishly trying to reproduce it. You make it your own. You might change the style entirely (which is always interesting). I am also not opposed to changing a chord or two if something just doesn't suit my limited range (and a key change didn't help sufficiently), as long as you can still recognize the song.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyf View Post
    I think that is the beauty of cover songs. You are comfortable with the song in general but you are not slavishly trying to reproduce it. You make it your own. You might change the style entirely (which is always interesting). I am also not opposed to changing a chord or two if something just doesn't suit my limited range (and a key change didn't help sufficiently), as long as you can still recognize the song.
    I've been finding Christmas songs to play, and I have noticed that sometimes you will find a song with eight or ten chords in it, then the same song in the same key, with just the three or four basic chords. Those extras are nice, but not needed. So I start out playing the song with just the basic progression, then start adding those extras in as I become more proficient with it. I do that a lot, I mean, break it down to the basic progression, then add the other chords when I have the song down better, and not just with Christmas songs.

OK, nothing happening here for quite a while, so I might as well. I went over to a friend's to do a little jamming, and I was thinking about it, and I feel like I sing better when someone else is singing with me. I seem to do everything better, strumming and fretting as well. I also like that you have to keep going. You can't just stop and start over. Anyway, fun was had by all. We played everything from Christmas songs to Sam the Sham. But I felt like it helped a lot.

Playing - and singing with others is good for the reasons you stated above. You need to listen so you will stay in tune better and you have to keep going so you learn that mistakes aren't the end of the world. You might be conscious of your mistakes but others often don't notice them.

I joined a choir a few years ago and it did wonders for my singing. I found notes I didn't know I had, I had to learn to listen and to keep in tune with others and to sing harmony.

An open mic is another good place to go. Over time it will help with your confidence as well as having to play through your mistakes and you learn to interact with an audience.
    Last edited by Tootler; 01-08-2016 at 01:46 PM.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Practise each one individually first, for every song. When you're sure you mastered the rhythm and strumming of the ukulele part. Try to sing along.

Thread Information