If not Ohana SK-35, then what?

Ukettante

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

This is my first post. I picked up the ukulele to play simple nursery rhymes for my kids. I'm currently using my wife's no-name, laminate soprano and am able to strum my way through several simple songs with my understanding of chord shapes, having played the guitar for a few years. Didn't take the uke too seriously at first, but before I knew it, it had insinuated its way into my heart. Now I'm studying the different strum techniques and exploring the fingerboard up the neck. Having a blast! And I think I'm ready for a real uke, a soprano size.

After extensive reading online, I've settled on Ohana's SK-35. I think it represents an equilibrium of price and quality. But I can't confirm whether it has side fret markers. My guess is it doesn't, as most Ohana models don't have them. Nor do Mainland ukes, my other preference. That's a deal breaker for me, but it seems there are no other comparable ukes in this price range with side dots, or is there? The two other ukes I really like, but which require that I fork over nearly double the money, are the Pono soprano and Koaloha Opio soprano. And I'm not sure whether the quality and sound I get will be proportional to the higher price—I'm thinking probably not.

So, any opinions on this, guys? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

But I can't confirm whether it has side fret markers. My guess is it doesn't, as most Ohana models don't have them. Nor do Mainland ukes, my other preference. That's a deal breaker for me, but it seems there are no other comparable ukes in this price range with side dots, or is there?
It is very easy to apply side dots. I just use a dab of liquid paper/whiteout if I want them. :)

Uke182, thanks for pointing me to that page on Mim's! I'll be sure to write her to confirm.

Yeah, it was confusing because Ohana's website has pictures of the 35 with side fret markers, but independent reviews of many Ohana ukes indicate absence of side dots.

Yes! What a relief. The last 24 hours, I was debating with myself whether to come up with the extra money for a Pono or an Opio. Now that dilemma has gone away!

Last edited:
SK-35 is a spectacular choice for nursery rhymes and lullabies.

Here's big sister SK-38 doing a delightfully sleepy-headed tune now, in fact. Compliments of Remco, aka Ukulelezaza.

A spectacularly clear sound. And a tutorial after my own heart: all fingers and fretboard.

Last edited:
Welcome to the joy that is the ukulele!! I have an Ohana SK-25 and it is excellent!! It does have side fret markers, but my BK-20 Baritone does not, so it is good to check. I have purchased from both MIM and Mike at Uke Republic and both are top notch. Enjoy your new uke!

I bought my SK-35G (gloss finish) in November, from Mim, and LOOOVE it. You can't beat it for the price, and Mim provided the usual stellar setup. I put some Martin strings on it, and it wails. In a good way, of course. Get one.

Uke182, thanks for pointing me to that page on Mim's! I'll be sure to write her to confirm.

Yeah, it was confusing because Ohana's website has pictures of the 35 with side fret markers, but independent reviews of many Ohana ukes indicate absence of side dots.

Yes! What a relief. The last 24 hours, I was debating with myself whether to come up with the extra money for a Pono or an Opio. Now that dilemma has gone away!

You are most welcome. Mim's Ukes and Uke Republic are both awesome. This one from Mim has geared tuners than friction tuners and a good view of the side markers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Ohana-S...any-Gloss-Setup-Ukulele-Uke-350-/181750272854

Here's a picture of my Ohana TK-35CG which I bought in September 2014 and it DOES have side fret markers. Ohana is putting them on their instruments now.

TK-35CG.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom