Figuring out how to write the music for the verses when I already have the chorus

UkuLincoln

Reaction score
I've written 6 songs so far, and I'm stuck on the current one.

I've got the words and chords for the chorus figured out, but I'm trying to write the verses. I'm stuck on the lyrics and the chords for the music as well.

I'd like the verses to use a different rhythm than the chorus as well as have some different chords. Is there a general "rule-of-thumb" as to sticking with at least some of the chords from the chorus? Or at least perhaps sticking with chords that fit into the circle of fifths that match the ones used in the chorus?

Thanks for any help,

Lincoln

In songwriting there are no rules. You'll know when you have something that works. When I'm stuck on a song, I work on something else, or do a "freewrite" about some object, feeling, event, etc. ... It will develop in due time :)

And you may come up with a cool chord progression you like, that works well with the chorus you've written, and use the existing progression for a bridge, if it differs from what you eventually come up with. Options!

Any specific genre of music might have its own norms -- and some successful songs may violate every norm and rule except that they grab ears. It's good to follow rules if you're writing to jam, so other players can keep up. If you're writing for yourself or a small clique, anything goes. My personal stuff tends toward strange or absent rhymes, jangly chords, changing rhythms, and unresolved harmonies and modulations. My 'folky' stuff tends toward clear and simple constructions. My choruses might be almost standalone songs, or simply a verse's repeated line -- and not necessarily the last line. I just keep whatever works for me. Whatever the music does, I try to aim for vivid imagery in my lyrics.

I know that this is an older thread and a short one. I've been a professional songwriter for many years. What I do is create a mood for my songs. I typically write a song (lyrics and melody) in about five minutes, but, there was one time when I wrote a melody and created a mood for the song and I played it for a long time before I finally wrote the lyrics. The song was titled "Loving You" and I sang it during my own wedding ceremony. My wife has always treasured that song. Needless to say, she is my biggest fan.

Depending on the song you are trying to write-- putting yourself in the mood by visualization (think of images that conjure up the feelings you want to share, experiences of the past, or things you have seen) and playing a melody that has that mood.

When you already have a chorus, you have probably already established a mood. That should make things easier. So, why not write down some random thoughts that say what you want to convey to the listening audience. Then, look at those thoughts and rewrite them into poetic verse. Pay attention to cadence and rhythm.

Keep in mind that the best songs written have almost always been those with the simplest lyrics. Don't try to cram too many words in one line. Pay attention to the cadence when you write those lyrics.

I hope this helps.

Top Bottom