Hip-Hop chunks - any tips?

Wanted to try out a new style on my Uke, and I'm really falling in love with this guy's hip-hop style chunking. If anyone plays similarly and is willing to share some tips I'd be all ears! Mostly having trouble finding the "sweet spots" and emulating the kick/snare sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugaub6qXXSA&feature=youtu.be

Is it just my wifi lagging? Or is his video delayed from the audio? It doesn't match up for me. It's hard to analyze when it doesn't match up.

Good gawd that is awesome

Last edited:

That's pretty cool, but I don't really like the idea of smacking my top like that. I know people do it all the time but I just can't bring myself to do it...

That's pretty cool, but I don't really like the idea of smacking my top like that. I know people do it all the time but I just can't bring myself to do it...

Are we still talking ukuleles?

Very cool technique! From a completely amateur opinion it looks like "chunking below the bridge". If you already know how to "chunk" (a strum followed by a palm mute) and moved that so far back that instead of muting the strings you thump the top. Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm going try that one out later today for sure.

Top Bottom