Loprinzi model A experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurlow

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been browsing the boards a while, but first post.
I'm thinking of adding a nice uke for travel. I'm always hesitant to take my Kamaka on public transport, and want something somewhat comparable at a lower price for this duty. As a result, I would like a Koa tenor uke at between $500-700.
Someone suggested Loprinzi model A, but I can find nearly nothing about it. A search here yielded only a couple old posts and an old news link.
Any experiences with Loprinzi or this model? Better options in this price range (new)? I also looked the Martin T1K (nice, but didn't love it) and Ana'ole koa tenor (a bit more $ than I had hoped to spend). I also heard the Loprinzis were hand-made (?).
Thanks for the help.

Uke Republic sells Loprinzi ukuleles and they are not second class instruments. Just a great value.

What's so special about your Kamaka? It's meant to travel and be played. Enjoy it everywhere.

What's so special about your Kamaka? It's meant to travel and be played. Enjoy it everywhere.

It was just really expensive, and I'm a bit overprotective of things I can't afford to replace. It gets plenty of use right here at home. Thanks for the info though.

I have a model A soprano and love it. Sweet clear voice, very light build and impeccably finished even on this base model. Super comfortable to play. It's sound and quality of construction was just as nice as my custom tenor Lo Pr that I just sold (loved the uke, just didn't care for the size). I think they are a great value. You won't be disappointed.

Elderly has a koa model A for sale, last I looked. I plan on getting a LoPrinzi myself, but not koa (I have plenty of that). Nearly half the price of a Kamaka tenor, and they are handmade in Florida by Donna LoPrinzi.

Elderly has a koa model A for sale, last I looked. I plan on getting a LoPrinzi myself, but not koa (I have plenty of that). Nearly half the price of a Kamaka tenor, and they are handmade in Florida by Donna LoPrinzi.

Are all models (including the model A) handmade? Any info on the warranty? Their website provides little.

Are all models (including the model A) handmade? Any info on the warranty? Their website provides little.

I own a Loprinzi model A super soprano and it is fabulous.

The bottom line is Loprinzi are made by Augustino Loprinzi or his daughter Donna Loprinzi, all hand made. You can buy a Loprinzi with 100% confidence they are handmade and they stand behind their product. They are ALWAYS spoken of very highly on this site and in all of ukedom.

If you are looking for a travel uke because you are concerned taking your Kamaka out with you, don't buy a LoPrinzi because right there is a high class handmade instrument built by experienced luthiers, made from solid woods with at least as much heart and soul as Kamaka mass lines are. What you gonna do if your LoPrinzi sounds better than the Kamaka you own? Will you have to buy another one? (Be a good excuse to anyway!)

But honestly, saying you're happy to take out a LoPrinzi but not a Kamaka doesn't make sense at all to me.

Get yourself a laminate Kala or a Flea. Both are winners at sub-300 and potentially way less. Then put the balance towards another lovely instrument further down the road.

And sorry Hurlow, meant to say warm welcomes to the forum. Good to have you cross the lurker line! Cheers!

But honestly, saying you're happy to take out a LoPrinzi but not a Kamaka doesn't make sense at all to me.
It is very simple economics. I want something very similar to my Kamaka (koa, tenor, well-made) as a second tenor uke, partially for travel - which I would, of course, take exceptional care of (as I do of all my instruments). However, if anything were to happen to a $600-$700 uke in transit I could eventually replace it. If anything happened to a $2000 uke, I could not (for a long long time). Whether it sounded as good (or better-that would be great!) is irrelevant here. As long as it is nice, worth the money, and has a far lower replacement cost.

I should also specify that I have an entry level throw-around uke-not what I am looking for here.- I want a legitimate second uke that could potentially get more play than either of my others if I really like it (and hope I do).

Thanks for the info everyone, it sounds like a winner.

Last edited:
I get the relative cost differences. It still makes no sense to me. Ukes were bought to play, not be protected. If you get a chip on it or two, so what? It's a sign of being used and loved. Public transport? You mean like an airplane? A bus? Carry it with you in your hand luggage. Put it in a carbon fibre case which are almost indestructible. In 5 years on the board here I have never heard of anyone lamenting the loss of a well protected $2000 uke in travel.
me neither. I have knocked them over, banged them on door jambs, dropped or knocked things into them , etc. all at home. so maybe we should just play our beaters at home and save the best for going out?
I do have beaters, I've got an inexpensive Islander [AT-4] for beach/camping, where it would be tempting fate with my Koaloha, They are actually very nice for under $150 and easily replaced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom