Season 173 - honky tonk heaven

myrnaukelele

Reaction score

1. Any song with honky tonk in the title or lyrics will count.
2. Any song you might hear on the juke box in a honky tonk or from a band playing in a honky tonk will count.
3. Original songs in the style of honky tonk music or with honky tonk in lyrics.

Usual rules apply:

Multitracking permitted.
Comment on one another's videos as much as possible - I'll do the same.
A prize will be awarded to randomly drawn entrants.
The Season starts at 12:01am Hawaiian time on Sunday 7th of June, and ends at 12:01am Hawaiian time on Monday June 15th. (You late posters get an extra minute this week!)

Have fun Honky Tonkin!

Last edited:
Thanks Myrna. Another really fun week is upon us!

I love early posts :D

I had to look up honky tonk music. When I found out what it was and who the major artists were, I thought wow! This'll be a great week. :love::music:

ooooooooooooooh great theme, I got me a real good song, i'm only expecting about eight hundred million other peeps to do it :cool:

Hank is running through my head, heart and soul complete with 78rpm scratch and pop.

Oh the fun I will have with this theme!

I hope one of my Seasonista brothers will do Honky Tonk Night Time Man!!! When I think of honky tonk, I think of The Hag!

Hmmmm....Would that be ?

Oh Hello Honky Tonks .
You are awful, but I like you .

No, probably not .

Whom ?

I suspect you two will people have read my mind.

George Jones - The One I Loved Back Then

I was already working on this because bonesigh said to bring on the country.

This song woulda been one of the top-played jukebox songs of any honkytonk in the 80's.

I feel like I should explain something about my appearance in these last two SOTU vids. You may have noticed I am glistening, a nice euphamism for sweating like a pig. See, for the last 3 weeks, I've been experiencing what it's really like to live in the tropics. The aircon isn't working. There's nothing wrong with my aircon machine, it's just that there's been a lack of power. The aircon won't run if there's not enough voltage coming to it to run it. I still got lights, TV, etc., but a lack of power here in Yangon means I can't keep cool.

So, I glisten.

This song has been played several times by U2, specifically when they had issues with their opening act.
That's when they became there own opening act called the Dalton Brothers.
See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_wErGvU_FM
This is my take on Lost Highway by Hank Williams.

I did some multi-tracking on this one with my Mandoline, Shaker Egg, my new Snare Drum and a Kazoo for the solo.

The story goes that Ray LaMontagne wrote this song after the deaths of Townes Van Zandt
and Johnny Cash. You just discover you have a friend... then they are gone.

I am not sure about the theology of the song. Bad theology and bad lives often go together,
and everytime a pop star kicks the bucket then the bromide that is served up is that they
will be up in heaven jammin' with Jimi and Janis... whereas the truth of the matter is that
Jimi will have Karen Carpenter backing him up on drums.

All my heroes have gone to heaven
where all them saints wear flaming shoes
the junkies and the whores are behind them pearly doors
i guess i'm going to go to heaven too

now all my heroes have gone to heaven
where all them richeous joes take to shoveling coal
the killers and the cons
the pushers and the johns
with halos, wings just hovering over paths of gold

so mama don't you cry
when i'm dead and gone
cause jesus loves his sinners
and heaven is a honky tonk

now all my heros have gone to heaven
the liars and the gamblers and the fools
the drunkards and the thieves
all wearing silk upon their sleeves
and every gal is like a silver pearl in bloom

so mama don't you cry
when i'm dead and gone
cause jesus loves his sinners
and heaven is a honky tonk

Limited wifi- thanks big daddy uker for the use of your hot spot in this Indiana field
Apologies to Jon for posting a bit early - no other opportunity will present itself any time soon.
This weeks theme -honky tonks!
1. Any song with honky tonk in the title or lyrics.
2. Any song you might hear on the juke box or from a band playing in a honky tonk.
3. Original songs in the style of honky tanks or with honky tonk in lyrics.
No posting till Sunday.
You know the rules.
Will be home on Tuesday. Have fun honky Tonkin!

Is there a limit on # of songs?

Top Bottom